Welcome & Join

newcomer
droider
Best Answer

unlimited internet - tethering

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I notice some of  the goodie bag offers include unlimited internet but also note the wording that excludes using the phone to tether to provide internet access to a PC.  Is there an add on service that can be purchased so that this can be done?  I find it quite unusual that a service that appears to want to break new ground should make a distinction between bytes used on a phone and those used on a PC, surely the same volume of data is being transmitted over the network so why spoil the offering?

darrenpainter
Kudos: 13,157
Best Answers: 3,962

Re: unlimited internet

There is no tethering add on available, as tethering is specifically against the terms and conditions of use for a giffgaff sim
newcomer
droider

pitty, that makes it a no go for me, almost as bad a policy that others have with the use of 'unlimited'!

navigator
timst

The same website displayed on a laptop can use alot more data than when displayed on a mobile.

This is the reason that tethering is not allowed.

Tim

Need a sim order one here and get £5 free credit
j.mp/freeggsim
or j.mp/freemicrosim

newcomer
droider

It makes no difference, if you use 5GB surfing the web on a mobile or you use the same accessing via a pc.  It reminds me of the old question about a kilo of gold or a kilo of feathers being the heaviest.  Usually it is used as a way to engineer a further charge to allow the tethering, however, the cost of supplying bytes in either way is the same.  Its not very progressive or keeping up with the times to make tethering a barred option.

consultant
paul_shirley

[ Edited ]

droider wrote:

Usually it is used as a way to engineer a further charge to allow the tethering, however, the cost of supplying bytes in either way is the same.  Its not very progressive or keeping up with the times to make tethering a barred option.

You make the mistake of assuming giffgaff are chasing everyone's business. They aren't. They aren't big enough to do everything, the service you want is one they currently choose not to provide and there are plenty of customers to chase for what they do offer. giffgaff have much more important things to get done before heading into a new business area.

If you want to pay a surcharge for mobile internet (tethering is that by definition whether you like that or not) there are plenty of companies who want to charge you, giffgaff isn't currently one of them.

graduate
plastix

[ Edited ]

timst wrote:

The same website displayed on a laptop can use alot more data than when displayed on a mobile.

This is the reason that tethering is not allowed.

Tim

Not true at all.  All the phones I have owned for the last 3 years (either Android or WinMo) have displayed the full webpage (including flash and annoying adverts).

You can easily use exactly the same volume of data, In fact you could argue in some cases you may use more data as, for example, I can't keep open as many tabs in my mobile browser as I do in my PCs browser, therefore have to reload the same content several times.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
graduate
plastix

[ Edited ]

On a side note, I fell out with O2 about 6 months ago when they implemented a 500MB FUP that had not been in their T&Cs when I joined them. 

Long story short... they conceded they were in breach of contract and gave me a free 3GB mobile internet bolt-on that allowed tethering. 

I briefly tested this out when my wifi went down and my flat mate had locked the router in his room while on holiday. The volume of data I used for those days was very comparable to the MB usage I'd normally spend on my phone in the same period. Smart phones these days are basically micro PCs with almost the exact same capabilities.

Giffgaff have said no to tethering, and I totally understand that decision.   But that is not because it based on the MB usage, but instead upon profit margins, or lack thereof, when the sole/primary use is for the simcard is data and no extra revenue is likely to be created from Texts/Calls outside the unlimited usage allowance (premiums texts numbers for example).

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
newcomer
ljubica1

Not exactly unlimited internet, but the option that's going to serve me until something better comes along. It might be useful for you.

£10 top-up with o2 gets you 300 texts and 500mb internet. For me, that's plenty for surfing as if I have any crazy desire for big downloading, I do that on a nice ADSL connection.

Now... if most of the people you contact are on o2, you can get the o2 bolt on thingy for £5/mo which gives you 1000 minutes and text credits for 10 declared o2 numbers. They have an automatic tool that will tell you the 10 most commonly contacted o2 numbers!

This leaves you with £5 a month credit to spend on any phone calls. 

This is what I'm using until I can use tethering for reasonable internet usage as part of my mobile phone plan.

An alternative, if you don't mind having a broadband dongle, is to firstly get the £10/mo o2 30-day broadband plan. This gets you the modem for free. Then, contact them to change it down to the £5/mo plan (500mb/mo) for the following billing month. 500mb may not quite meet your requirements, but the lovely thing with o2 Broadband is that you can get unlimited wifi on Cloud and BT Openzone... and those two providers are just about everywhere. I was doing this previously, but I want to cut my costs down to £10 a month, and the above solution suits me well.

I hope this helps you, and here's to hoping a middle ground may be forthcoming in the future.

Lou

newcomer
droider

paul_shirley wrote:

droider wrote:

Usually it is used as a way to engineer a further charge to allow the tethering, however, the cost of supplying bytes in either way is the same.  Its not very progressive or keeping up with the times to make tethering a barred option.

You make the mistake of assuming giffgaff are chasing everyone's business. They aren't. They aren't big enough to do everything, the service you want is one they currently choose not to provide and there are plenty of customers to chase for what they do offer. giffgaff have much more important things to get done before heading into a new business area.

If you want to pay a surcharge for mobile internet (tethering is that by definition whether you like that or not) there are plenty of companies who want to charge you, giffgaff isn't currently one of them.

If giffgaff don't want the business for something they basically already provide (i.e. data, but alas without sharing it with another device via tethering) then it is a very strange business model to not want additional custom.  I don't want to pay a surcharge for tethering at all, in fact I think that practice is unethical.  Would you pay a surcharge for each computer that connects to a wireless router, i don't think so!  I already marked the answer above as having answered the question so am aware now that giffgaff only wants certain types of customers.  If someone at giffgaff knew what they were doing and wanted to grow their business they would have offered a tethering package which had a generous but capped internet limit.  I am more than happy to pay another provider so you have no worries on that score.