Looking for something?

giffgaff Labs - visit the new Ideas platform

New Message

Unlimited : Time to go capped ??

by kathleen414 ‎24-08-2014 01:44 - edited ‎27-08-2014 08:54

Idea.. to remove the unlimited goodybags and replace with capped allowances.
If you agree please support the idea

Original idea posted here for discussion and after great support 

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/Unlimited-time-to-go-capped-IDEA/td-p/14418443

After reading many posts on the subject of the unlimited goodybags do you think it may be time to just call it a day ?

Giffgaff seems to be fighting  a losing battle with data chompers and have had to manage the data we have available for the members .

This has had the effect of slowing the available data to the members and after reading many many members complaints about very slow Internet speeds ( assuming it's giffgaffs traffic management) maybe we should just bite the bullet and have realistic capped allowance goodybags.

Yes I understand it's a thorny issue but surely it's better to have say the £10 1g / £12 3g bag and £15 5 gig bag etc with usable data as the new deal well it's just a patch up that won't fix the underlying issues and will come to a head again..
I think let's just remove the unlimited now and we can get on with a realistic capped data allowance that all users can use and not abuse

giffgaff is making an offer of 5GB for £15 which is £3 per GB.

This does not sit well where people are using unlimited at £15 and  then consuming 15 GB  for which they  are only paying £1 per GB.

That makes giffgaff a two teir service as all the low users pay the price of £3 or £4 per GB and so subsidise the heavy users who are only paying £1 per GB.

This is a good reason to get rid of "unlimited" and redistribute the data previously used by the heavy downloaders  to increase the capacity of the lower priced limited goodybags.

Pay for what you use is the only fair way to treat all giffgaf customers.

My worry is that we could lose giffgaff unless we have a realistic profit to product and losing the unlimited seems the best option to me

Reserve goodybags and airtime credit

by essie112mm on ‎24-05-2015 21:13

About a week ago I posted this idea on Contribute . With the website going down today and members unable to top up and feeling angry, frustrated and let down, now seems an opportune moment to post it here for your consideration.

Problem :

For various reasons, it can sometimes be impossible to top up. For example, a website issue might be responsible and like today affect many members. Or it might be an isolated problem which affects only one member, such as inability to redeem a voucher or top up using a card. Whatever the cause, this is a problem which crops up daily on the Help forum and causes delay, leading to frustration and loss of service while the problem is resolved, not to mention loss of confidence in giffgaff as a network. It can also result in loss of one’s credit  balance .  Members don’t always know this has happened until suddenly their device stops working and they discover that their recurring goodybag failed and credit has disappeared because they’ve unknowingly bought services at PAYG rates. If a failed card transaction is the issue an agent will usually have to be contacted, which might result in a delay lasting up to 24 hours before the problem is solved. Meanwhile, the member is left without service or has to top up with a voucher to buy a goodybag. This could mean topping up with more than a cost of their goodybag. For example, a £7.50 goodybag means buying a £10 voucher, which isn’t always a satisfactory outcome.

Regarding vouchers, they are notoriously troublesome and if there is no apparent reason why one can’t be redeemed it means contacting an agent. This is no help whatsoever if it’s late in the evening, agents have stopped working and someone tells you the response time is up to 24 hours.  It isn’t always possible or convenient for a member to go out and buy a second voucher. 

Another example of how this idea would solve a problem is when a member has travelled abroad thinking they can use a goodybag. With no auto top-up enabled, and in a country where a card is refused by the website, a person would also find it difficult to top up unless there is a friend or family in the UK willing or able to top up their number altruistically or text a voucher code. Someone in hospital for a long time might also find the idea useful, as might anyone living in a remote area, or a parent wanting to ensure that their child is always able to make a call.

Idea :

As a solution to the problem outlined above I am proposing that giffgaff offer reserve goodybags and reserve credit My idea is that members should be able to purchase a reserve goodybag to keep dormant on their account which has no start or expiry date. This would be in addition to any live, queued or recurring goodybags. In effect, it would be a goodybag for emergencies. 

For credit, members would be able to top up and buy reserve airtime credit. To illustrate : if someone were to top up with a £10 voucher this could be added to their account as usual or banked as reserve credit. Or if a £15 voucher were bought £10 could be added to an account and £5 banked to reserve credit.

How might the idea work in practice ?

Reserve goodybags : these could be bought at any time and started at any point using existing rules for starting a goodybag early. So if a member couldn’t top up for any reason to buy a goodybag or their recurring goodybag failed they could simply text the word RESERVE to 43430 and activate the goodybag. This might be preferable to logging in to activate the bag as it could result in confusion about the difference between starting a new goodybag early and activating a reserve goodybag. It would also bypass problems such as the one today when the website is inaccessible.

Reserve credit :

Credit would still be added to an account in the usual way by dialling 43430 to redeem a voucher or online as now. To allocate an amount to be set aside as reserve credit a method similar to the existing one for buying a goodybag from airtime credit might be employed. To redeem the credit the word CREDIT would be texted to 43430. 

Reserve credit and goodybags would not extend free giffgaff calls and texts.

As ever, all feedback is welcome. If you think my idea has any merit please support it. 

Phone Number Pricing Tool

by I boldly went... bertiebat ‎05-12-2014 20:46 - edited ‎09-12-2014 20:48

I think it's time for giffgaff to provide a more helpful method of checking what charges will be made for ALL types of phone calls and texts by creating a number checker tool.

This could be available both on the website and the giffgaff app.

Problem

The pricing pages https://giffgaff.com/index/pricing http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learning-and-giffgaffer-articles/Special-Charges-Code-of-Practice/t... contain a lot of information on checking the first few characters of the number to see what type of number is being dialed and sometimes even tables of exceptions and differing rates on the prices and what pricing models will be used.  

They are not the easiest pages to navigate and I'd prefer that a standardised output giving all the current information for ALL types of numbers be developed.   

For instance most people have the idea that all numbers begining with 07 are ALL standard UK mobile numbers but in fact it depends on the next 1 or 5 chars as to whether they are special numbers charged at non inclusive higher credit only rates.   Eg. Numbers beginning with 070 are personal numbers charged at 50p and a range of other 07.... are non mobiles which are charged at 20p for calls and 8p per text.

There are even some '01' prefixed numbers which aren't part of the normal landlines number but are Channel Islands or IOM numbers which are charged at international prices.  http://www.area-codes.org.uk/uk-offshore.php

Solution

This type of analysis is much better suited to be done by a computer rather than a human eye so I propose an automated tool to do this job instead.  :smileyhappy:

This tool could be added to the existing giffgaff app as well as available on the website.

For a full analysis please refer to my thread in contribute.

Examples:

blank price tool 118118.png

blank price tool nm07.png

Once this tool has been set up for online use in including availability on the giffgaff app it might also be nice to have a non data option (for those without internet access) by providing this by text.

Simply text PRICE followed by the number to 43430 and giffgaff could use this tool to return a suitably formatted text by providing the same information as the online form.   Obviously this is for a later date once the online version has been sorted, but no harm in also mentioning it in this idea as a future expansion.

A further expansion could be to select the country calling from (by default this would be the UK).

So far I can't find a reason why this couldn't be developed (just a case of rationalising the existing numbers into their component parts and creating a table linking to using the existing expansion tables where needed).

Benefits:

Simple to use tool for those that need costing information without having to analyse the complicated pricing structures.

Much more professional looking than the existing pages.

Simpler to update (no website maintenance required when pricing is updated).

Helpful tool for those helping on the forum and agents to ensure that they are giving accurate help on pricing issues.

So if you would like to see this happen then please add your vote using the kudos button. Smiley Happy

At carphonewarehouse you can do payg upgrade
EE tmobile orange vodafone others allows their members to upgrade
So my idea is
Giffgaff should allow us to do payg upgrade with carphonewarehouse or giffgaff it's self (like 20% off on selected phones basic ones mostly)

Pick and Mix

by edwardlittle on ‎16-04-2015 11:41
Why not have pick and mix goodybags? At the moment you have to choose a goodybag that most closely matches your requirements but may not match them completely. So I suggest that all the various items are priced individually, allowing members to choose what they want and get charged accordingly. So, for example, you could choose 500 minutes with 2 Gb of data or 200 minutes and 2 Gb of data, with each being at a set price. No mobile phone company does this so GiffGaff could lead the way!

Like many others I enjoy sharing pics with the community and understand why there is a 333k limit for the pic size, trouble is that even on the lowest settings my phones camera comes up at around 500k so of no use until i convert them using a seperate program. A pain when I am out and about.

Have a word with Lithium to see if you can incorporate software like Facebook do that reduces file sizes automatically, saves us having to waste time doing it Smiley Happy

I logged into giffgaff this morning (6th May 2015) to find the house style of the website had changed almost beyond recognition. The fonts are ghastly and angular, while pictures and banners have been piled on top of each other, rendering it:

• very difficult on the eye (too many bright colours);
  • difficult to find objects that are under other objects, especially hyperlinks in the dashboard, which appears to have been almost entirely obscured by new banners;
  • incredibly time-consuming to load each page, even on a home broadband connection (I dread to imagine how bad it must be for public wifi/mobile connections), because the pictures are so large — this got so frustrating that I used the Firefox add-on AdBlockPlus to block most .jpg and .png images from loading.

I, therefore, petition giffgaff to restore the house style that was in effect prior to 6th May, since it is much more user-friendly, easier to navigate, easier to read, and less bandwidth-guzzling.

be more clear!

by bmw4175 on ‎24-03-2015 16:44

Just a quick one Smiley Happy

So when you click onto a banner to order a sim card it says a few things about giffgaff but I've just noticed that it says this :

''Free calls & texts to giffgaff numbers

Keep in touch with your friends for free with unlimited calls & texts to giffgaff numbers.''

But no where on this page does it explain that you have to top up or buy a goodybag every 3 months to get these free allowances which could be very misleading to people that don't already know this!

So I propose that giffgaff include this information on this page even if they just add an asterisk (*) with small print at the bottom of the page explaining about the 3 month top up rule.

This should be there in the interest of fairness and it's very easy and free to implement! 

So if you agree that giffgaff should point this out then click the kudos button to show your support. 

Thanks Smiley Happy

Ability to add credit of less than £10 to top up your airtime balance.

Why?  - I have just been subject to a premium text message scam, where I got charged £5 to receive a text from some company I have never had contact with.

I am now left with £9 credit that they can continue to plunder. Since I cant withdraw the credit, there should be the ability to top up my credit to a round £10, so I can purchase a queued GBag.

Another instance where this is useful, is on my childrens account where they have a GBag, but I dont want them to have credit, in case it is accidently used roaming on holiday, or with premium services.

I once put £10 credit on, then immediately tried to convert it to a GBag, but it had dropped to £9.93 - totally useless, when I always buy a £10 GBag on the account!

Call information

by marinaallen on ‎06-02-2015 13:36

Why do you not make customer call and text history detail available on the internet?

By expecting customers to write to you (enclosing £10) is totally alien to the GiffGaff principle of internet-only.  This allows customers to verify that they've been correctly charged and is open and transparent.

Your policy really surprises me.

Beg for a Sim - postcode helper for Sim emergancies

by hughnicholls ‎30-04-2015 16:56 - edited ‎30-04-2015 17:06

Hey guys,

got my idea from this: THREAD by @bluemoonbaz (thanks @kwalmsleyyy for showing me)

Beg for a Sim

I am proposing an optional section of the website where members can sign up to a database by entering their postcode. Being on the database will allow you to be contacted by other members or soon to be members that desperately need a Sim. Basically:

the givers - 

1. sign up to database

2. wait for someone nearby to PM you saying they need a Sim

3.You would then meet or deliver the Sim too them in the local area so they would have it immediately.

the sim beggars-

1. type in their postcode

postcodefinder.gif

2. database shows the ten nearest people that they could contact for a sim

3. PM them and arrangements can be made

thoughts?

BRING BACK THE OLD THEME!

by awais_khan12 ‎06-05-2015 21:31 - edited ‎07-05-2015 18:20
Simple request - Give us an option to get the old theme please. Like in our preferences let us choose this theme or the old one!

I and several others do not like this new one very much and were not well informed of this!
And apparently we are the MOBILE NETWORK RUN BY YOU!?

Extra March payback should be available to all members

by bluemoonbaz ‎02-03-2015 13:55 - edited ‎17-03-2015 10:11

Giffgaff have come with another great promotional idea to get more members and I commend giffgaff for this as we all want a bigger better giffgaff.

But I don't agree with only a selected group of members getting the chance to earn this bonus.

I have always been against schemes that only offer partial community inclusion including the sims exclusion club and I just think we should be including everyone 

a time when giffgaff have removed the excellent unlimited data offers and the continued problems with data speeeds and traffic management I would be giving this offer to all the members to generate as many members as possible .

Saying it's not affordable is a poor excuse when the members who received this offer can bring as members as they like so it's not limited to save £££.and the Sr deal So no reason not to offer it to all the members

We are a community and as such should not be giving some members this opportunity and not others

If you agree please indicate by kudos of this idea 

***********************👇

Here the promotion

March Double Payback offer - connect your friends

clairekav 

handy giff-staffer

Feb 27

Exclusive offer: Earn double payback for connecting your friends during March

If you’ve been included in this offer – you’ll get £10 Payback for every friend you bring on board to giffgaff during the month of March 2015.

We'll be contacting members Sunday/Monday - you'll be included in this offer if you have recevied an email/ text or message in yourMessages in My giffgaff (emails sending Sunday/Monday - newsfeed/message in My giffgaff on Monday).

giffgaff rewards members for helping grow giffgaff, by connecting their friends and family. In return for connecting a friend - giffgaff gives members £5 Payback and the friend gets £5 credit when they join.

During the month of March, as a special treat - you'll get the regular £5 Payback plus a bonus £5 Payback = £10 Payback for every friend you bring on in March.

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Announcements/March-Double-Payback-offer-connect-your-friends/td-p/...

Data free goodybag

by claw on ‎07-03-2015 00:10

Right this isnt to ruffle anyones feathers. However it's fair to say that people are having a less than great experience when it comes to their data experience.

Currently we're paying for allowances that include data. And sure, many of us (including myself) pay for this accepting that its how it works, packages. Its an industry standard.

I propose the offer of data free goodybags. An example would be as follows:

£10 Goodybag

500 mins, Unltd texts, 1GB Data

OR

750/1000 mins, Unltd texts and NO DATA.

What would this achieve?

1. Non data users would finally have the option to avoid the data charge. Many are heavier minutes users so they'd benefit from this change (and it would probably be cheaper to provide.)

2. Data users currently affected by poor service could opt for this as they are not getting a service they want anyway, or even a usable service in many cases.

3. giffgaffs data service would get some relief, less data use means less congestion. Better service for data users.

This could certainly be a temporary solution to the current problem while long term solutions are found.

Please don't simply say "it's been suggested before" theres never been a better reason to do this, it has the potential to benefit most if not all members, and giffgaff itself.

No 'expiry date' on gigabags

by theoriginalgiff on ‎06-11-2014 16:25
Hello,

I'm new to both giffgaff and the whole message board/forum thing, so forgive me if this has been covered already, but I'd like to suggest that - as with airtime credit for calls and texts - why not scrap the expiry time on the gigabags? Why not work it so that the gigabag lasts until the user has used up all of their data allowance, rather than simply expiring after a month?
This would be helpful to lighter data users, who might take 2/3 months to use-up their allowance.

If you like the sound of this, why not get on-board!

Thanks Smiley Happy

GIVEGAFF

by spacefrog on ‎18-05-2015 18:19
I propose the idea that Giffgaffers could donate data megabytes from their current goodybags, the total of megabytes saved could be converted into either
A: donated to charity.
B: unused data converted into a small payback award.
This would encourage Giffgaffers not to waste data, and to be careful with it,
thus making speeds faster and would be better for everybody. this data is paid for and is the users choice of whether they use it or not, the payback or charity award would be known as
"givegaff"
I'm sure you lot in higher places who run Giffgaff could make this work....
I know there's a shortage of data to go around so it's got to be a step in the right direction. 👍 🐸
Ok so this should be an easy one to implement and quite worthwhile too. Today I helped a new GG user register and activate the new SIM card. From memory, on the very first page it asks for the name, with a pretty stern warning to think carefully as this cannot be changed in the future!

Even though I'm a seasoned giffgaffer, it was not immediately obvious to either of us whether it was expecting the inputting of the users real name, or a made up username.

So as it could not be changed later, we decided to play safe and enter her real full name. Only then did it become fairly clear that it must be the latter required as it threw an error due to us entering forename and family name separated by a space. Spaces are not allowed in that entry, so it would not accept the input.

So we changed the entry to a single word username, which was accepted. As we progressed through the subsequent pages it then did ask for real name and address etc. So it all becomes clear, though somewhat after the event.

My idea is to simply add some more guidance text to that pretty bare first page of registration to take away the doubt. It should explain precisely what it is expecting ie a one piece made up user id/login name and password. It should also advise that this username will be subsequently publicly visible on any future community discussion posts etc. it could also advise that real full name etc. will be entered on subsequent pages of the process but that will not be published anywhere.

It just needs a bit more detailed help text on that early sim activation/registration page so that the GG user experience at this very early stage is improved. There should be no need to find out by trial and error just what input it requires.

Hope that's clear, it's tricky to explain here but I think anyone who has gone through that process recently will know what I'm alluding to.

Please kudos top left if you agree with this simple idea proposal.

Thank you.

Ability to cancel goodybags

by littlemisszoe on ‎19-02-2015 15:41

Hi,

I've noticed a few people posting about buying the wrong goodybag/gigabag recently and giffgaff won't refund them.

I think that giffgaff should offer a refund if the goodybag/gigabag has not been used, and is less than 24 hours old.

So, if someone accidently purchased the wrong one, they can email an agent straight away and receive a refund if they haven't used the goodybag. 

Sim Packaging / advertising

by talisker35 ‎26-02-2015 13:39 - edited ‎31-03-2015 10:15

Hi all,

Its fairly basic, so im sure you will get the idea without me explaining it.

The idea:

New packaging for sim cards as well as providing a means to advertise giffgaff sims & tariffs. This will provide some basic information for any new members as well as provide a means for members to advertise / recruit members to giffgaff (simply add a few tabs to the packaging to make it into a desktop display stand)

Hope you like it.

Example 1.jpg

New Packaging 2.jpg

Advertising rev2.jpg

(example desktop display stand)

Edits

27/02/15 to include further updates (all prices subject to change message & giffgaff run on the o2 network)

28/02/15 to include E4 sponsorship logo & text as suggested.

03/03/15 to replace £18 offer goodybag with £20 goodybag (offer ends 1/4/15)

31/03/15 to include info on giffgaff-giffgaff free calls / texts.

online account statements

by chris2293 on ‎06-04-2015 16:16

online account statements

this would benefit alot of us ,we would like to know who we talk to the most, what we use our services on. phone calls, texts, and internet

just a simple statement at the end of each month telling us who we have text,called and what we've used our internet on

because it will all be online it shouldn't cost a thing as theres no paper so its no extra cost.

i have at times looked at my balance on my account and have had missing minutes and texts any i would like to find out where they have gone, ive had people text and call me who i dont even know. people who i dont speak to. this statement would be also good for parents to keep an eye on their childrens usage. what do you guys think post your comments below suggest more ideas. Other networks offer this service