Submit: Great giffgaff Ideas

Looking for something?
jamesd2010

Mobile Model Mandatory Requirement upon Signup

by jamesd2010 ‎26-06-2011 16:07 - edited ‎26-06-2011 16:25

It seems the more and more posts I see daily, we always have this daily dilemma of providing settings to a user, but not knowing what device they have, resulting in several hours or days lost where the user hasn't replied, and therefore hasn't got the answer she/he needs, affecting the giffgaff reputation of speedy quality replies.

The option to allow users input their device model and brand is currently optional, however this idea is to make this a requirement upon sign up. This allows us to know what device the user has, and provide better quality answers to all instead of directing them to the standard Giffgaff APN.

This would solve time, and make the experience of giffgaff far better. Giffgaff is mobile network provider, that's the purpose of giffgaff, and so it would be much more efficient to ask for the phone the user has upon sign up.

Implementing this would be easy, simply add another field to the sign up process asking the phone they have, and make it validated to ensure some text has been entered.

Who agrees? Kudo if you do!

Hey folks,

After re-discussing this Idea with our Management Team we decided not to implement it. Reason being is that members should have a choice of whether they want to show their phone or not - the phone they have when they start up might not necessarily be the phone they have a year later when they post asking for help and as a final reason, having a phone isn't a mandatory requirement to sign up or post on the giffgaff forums. So we couldn't possibly force this on members,

Kind regards,

Hazel.

Comments
by martinwallis on ‎26-06-2011 16:33
What a brilliant idea!
by jamesd2010 on ‎26-06-2011 16:34

@Samlowe

Haha thanks! :smileytongue: You know, it's funny, I remember when I first joined the forum. I was one of those people that posted 1 idea and was put off with the fact people were so judging about an idea as they've seen it before. A little bit of advice is to go beyond that, think outside the box. And of course search before posting to avoid being made a fool off after putting hours of work into it :smileywink:.

by drlatheef on ‎26-06-2011 16:44
Great idea, Hope Giffgaff will consider this!
by drlatheef on ‎26-06-2011 16:45
Another alternative is for Giffgaff to advise the author on stating the name and type of his/her phone instead of making it a pre-requisite?
by jamesd2010 on ‎26-06-2011 16:46

@dratheef

Haha, funny, I was just about to edit my post saying they can also add a little how to find your model number on the page, I will make visual aids to show my example a bit later.

Announcements

Join us for Call of Duty

Labels
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:5,188 members 2,886 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: