Submit: Great giffgaff Ideas

Looking for something?
kaz

Lower PAYG data pricing

by kaz dabbler on ‎15-04-2010 18:39

I propose that giffgaff look again at the PAYG data pricing - I just can't believe they cannot do better than £2/MB capped to 50p.   Do they really not want PAYG customers?    For starters, I suggest flat fee of 1p/MB.

Hopefully it was all an oversight and Vincent will soon be along to mark this implemented.

We will charge 20p per MB up to a maximum of 50p (which works out at 2.5MB) after which you get up to 30MB for free. Should you go over 30MB, we will then start charging at a rate of 20p per MB. Which means you now get your slow incline of 20p per MB initially, up to a cap of 50p, which gives you up to 30MB, after which the rate returns to 20p per MB.
Comments
by kaz dabbler on ‎23-04-2010 10:29

@hg yes I know you're very pleased with the goodybags, and actually, so am I.  I want everybody to be happy!  I just would like fair pricing for the data below the 50p cap; that's all.

@peeter - this idea is still marked as New Idea.  Vincent has been busy marking all the £5 data bundle ideas as Not Suitable a couple of days ago.  As to the data charges over 100MB; that's irrelevant to me - I haven't used that much data over the last year according to my phone's log!  

For me, this isn't a huge deal - but you must see that £2/mb is expensive - I don't think moving that price downwards will impact hugely on gg profits - especially if (as I am led to believe) the vast bulk of customers are happy to buy £10 monthly contracts.  Being the best value operator for both monthy contracts AND payg can only boost customer numbers - and even usually low users change their use patterns from time to time, and also bring friends and family onboard (especially if we are parents of teenagers...)

by vincent on ‎23-04-2010 12:50

peeter wrote:

This isn't still open. The published prices for data take effect as soon as the free data ends on 25th May.

The only thing still being considered is how much users will get charged for data if they exceed the 100MB daily limit on the 50p max daily tariff.

What gave you that idea? Nothing is closed until I set it to Not Suitable, which I haven't done in this case. I'm not saying it is or isn't suitable, but the discussion isn't closed yet.

Obviously 1p/MB is a crazy price and certainly not something we can afford :smileyhappy:

by peeter ‎23-04-2010 13:00 - edited ‎23-04-2010 13:02

Hi Vincent

So in fact the published data prices aren't neccessarily going to be correct when free data ends on 25th May?

I thought all the debate about data pricing had now been concluded. My bad :smileytongue:

by vincent ‎23-04-2010 15:34 - edited ‎23-04-2010 15:35

Well, it has really. But then you lot all started flapping your wings again! :smileyhappy:

Check this out: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Discuss-giffgaff-Questions-and/FREE-data-for-launch-but-how-should-... 30+ pages of chatter about it. After I went through it all, and yes, dismissed the comments about wanting it all for free or 1p/mb, the general consensus was pretty much 50p is okay, certainly for 100mb (it was nicely in the middle).

So we introduced it and now a few members don't like it. 

The issue is that whatever you introduce, people will always want it cheaper. Unless you introduce it for free, and then they want higher speeds and better coverage. Neither of which anyone can afford really. Although there are companies that do cheap data, they all do it for their own specific reasons. 

What we want to offer is something we don't have to quickly change again (so no promotional offers, or loss leaders).

So we might well decide that we stick with our introduced 50p cap. But that doesn't mean we don't listen. It just means you (the community) doesn't always get their way :smileywink:

by peeter on ‎23-04-2010 15:58

Thanks Vincent, that's pretty well exactly what I thought :smileyhappy:

So I'll continue to quote the published prices when there's a question about data prices on the forums.:smileywink:

by hg ‎23-04-2010 20:47 - edited ‎23-04-2010 20:48

kaz wrote:

@hg yes I know you're very pleased with the goodybags, and actually, so am I.  I want everybody to be happy!  I just would like fair pricing for the data below the 50p cap; that's all.

For the avoidance of doubt, I have not expressed any opinion on the goodybags !

I was merely remarking that some of us believe giffgaff is already the best all-round service provider.  That was in response to kaz's earlier comment that giffgaff would achieve that status if it price-matched Asda.

In my view, there is much more to giffgaff and customer service than goodybags.

hg

by vincent on ‎12-05-2010 16:16
Status changed to: Implemented
We will charge 20p per MB up to a maximum of 50p (which works out at 2.5MB) after which you get up to 30MB for free. Should you go over 30MB, we will then start charging at a rate of 20p per MB. Which means you now get your slow incline of 20p per MB initially, up to a cap of 50p, which gives you up to 30MB, after which the rate returns to 20p per MB.
by flateric on ‎16-12-2010 21:50

How about leaving the 100MB or so with a £10 top-up every 3 months as it is now? This would set you apart in this competitive market and shouldn't cost too much but would be a handy addition. Anyone wanting serious internet buys a goodybag anyway and this means all giffgaffers get some free web access.

Any thoughts vincent?

by pencil on ‎28-12-2010 01:54

Adsa - 20p per MB

Virgin - 30p for the first 25MB (per day), then £2 for each additional MB

Orange - £2 per day, then what appears to be unlimited Internet

T-Mobile - £1 per day, then 40MB (subject to fair use)

o2 - £1 per day, then 100MB (subject to harsh fair use policy) 

Three - 10p per MB

I think giffgaff should charge 10p per MB, up to 50p a day, then offer unlimited Internet for the rest of the day. That would work out at £15 a month just for Internet, if the user decided not to take out a goodbag. That in my opinion is a well-rounded price for a non-Internet user. 

by adaley on ‎30-10-2011 02:00

Compared to other networks, paticularly Three, giffgaffs PAYG data pricing isn't actually that cheap. Three offer internet per day for 50p (upto 130Mb). If Three can offer that pricing then I don't see why giffgaff can't as they should have less operating costs due to the community provided support, etc.

--Adam

Announcements

Join us for Call of Duty

Labels
Idea Statuses
Weekly Poll
How much would you pay to unlock a phone?
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:3,572 members 1,120 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: