Submit: Great giffgaff Ideas

Looking for something?
othalian

Provide an Opt Out Button for Telemarketing

by othalian on ‎28-02-2012 18:36

Many users will not have taken the time to read Giffgaff's terms and Conditions. Being someone with no life I have plenty of time to do such a thing. One thing may Giffgaffers will not know is that they have signed up to telemarketing and such things. This is mentioned here:

"18.2. You also agree to the information described in clause 18.1 being used, analysed and assessed by us, and the other parties identified in clause 18.1 and selected third parties for marketing purposes including amongst other things to identify and offer you by phone, post, the Network, your mobile phone, email, text (SMS), media messaging, automated dialling equipment or other means, any further products, services and offers which we think might interest you. If you do not wish your details to be used for marketing purposes, please e-mail The Data Controller at, datacontroller@giffgaff.com stating your full name, address and mobile phone number. Your information is treated in accordance with our Privacy Policy." I have bolded what I consider to be the important sentence.

My idea is provide a large Opt Out Button on the member's Home Page which will permit users to opt out of this "Marketing". It could collate and forward all the information required by Giffgaff's Data Controller. Giffgaff should be more open about this sort of thing and one way of doing this is to add that button.

Hi! We're still excited to do this idea, but it's not quite in the routemaster at the moment - when it is, we'll update this idea to 'Coming Soon', have a nice day and thank you for contributing to the Ideas Board!
Comments
by ajenno on ‎28-02-2012 18:38
Good idea
by stealthybigboss2 on ‎28-02-2012 18:40
this is a good idea
by pjr on ‎28-02-2012 18:41
Very good idea as I would expect a lot of people won't be aware of the opt out option and this would make it easier for people to do so.
by wman2 on ‎28-02-2012 18:45

But giffgaf won't do it as it's not profitable for them and they make money with it.

by bertiebat on ‎28-02-2012 18:46

Surely this is covered by the 'do you want to hear us? on this page https://giffgaff.com/profile/details

Do you want to hear about us?Cancel

Give me info and offers about giffgaff
Allow giffgaff to give me info and offers about our partners
by othalian on ‎28-02-2012 18:58

When you deselect "Do you want to hear from us?" options is this being passed on to the Giffgaff Data Controller? No one apart from Giffgaff knows the answer to this question. And being a cynic and sceptic I would suggest that Giffgaff could argue that because you didn't send an email to "datacontroller@giffgaff.com " then you haven't opted out so they have a valid reason to pass on your information. 

by zerodudex333 on ‎28-02-2012 19:10

well if that is true, I believe a rewording to the t's and c's would at least be appropriate.

If the 'Do you want to hear from us?' does stop details being sent for marketing purposes they need to state that in their t's and c's, if not then this opt out button should be made in some form or another.

I think we need a bit of giffgaff staff knowledge to brighten things up for us

by othalian on ‎28-02-2012 19:25

Rewording the Terms and Conditions would be fine. I have just checked and can't find any mention about deselecting the options "Do you want to hear about us?" means you don't have to inform the Data Controller. Some sort of clarification would help. Kudos to you for that though.

by marvel andy0 marvel ‎29-02-2012 06:33 - edited ‎29-02-2012 07:21

bertiebat wrote:

Surely this is covered by the 'do you want to hear us? on this page https://giffgaff.com/profile/details

Do you want to hear about us?Cancel

Give me info and offers about giffgaff

Allow giffgaff to give me info and offers about our partners 

I think so.

It's happened for example that people wonder why they don't seem to get certain emails, perhaps their monthly summary statement and news of payback, and a standard answer is check whether they've opted out of hearing from giffgaff.

by shrewroo on ‎29-02-2012 10:26

Agree that it is a good idea, but rather counter productive for GG tbh.  Would be surprised if it was added!

Announcements

Join us for Call of Duty

Labels
Idea Statuses
Weekly Poll
test poll - ignore me if you find me
How much would you pay to unlock a phone?
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:3,748 members 468 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: