I feel it’s been too long since our last proper data update, but the good news is it means we’ve got plenty to discuss. You can find all the detail below, but here are the juicy headlines:
- Significant upgrade to how giffgaff uses the data network
- WiFi hotspots beta live
- Increase to speed on Always On after 6GB
Hopefully those headlines were enticing Please read on for more info on general updates and a look at what’s on the giffgaff horizon. As always, it would be great to get your feedback in the comments below.
Updates – what’s been happening?
- Network upgrade – we’re constantly working with O2 to find ways to optimise and deliver a better experience to members. After various tests and trials behind the scenes in the first half of the year, we’ve recently made some changes that should provide a significant improvement to giffgaff data experience. We’ve seen some positive comments coming through already, but are keen to hear how everyone is getting on. Have you noticed any improvements in data speeds in the last couple of weeks? How do speed tests compare with before?
- WiFi beta - a couple of weeks ago we launched a beta for access to WiFi on the London Underground and other WiFi hotspots around the UK, see here if you missed it. While we’ll always work to improve the network side of things, we also believe WiFi has a role to play in providing coverage (particularly in those hard to reach places). We’ll work through the beta together and then spread the word more widely.
- Survey scores - one of the many ways we track our member’s experience, is to ask you about it (genius, I know). Every day we survey you fine folk, with a couple of questions included around data experience. The trend we’re seeing is very encouraging – current satisfaction scores are the highest they’ve ever been at 79% (compared to 78% in January, and 76% last August).
On the horizon …
- Always On update - as we make improvements to data service and network capacity, we’ll always be looking for ways to give more value back to our members (like the goodybag refresh we made in Feb to include more data from £7.50 up to £15). In a few weeks’ time, we are making a change to our Always On data, increasing the speed you receive during the day after you’ve used 6GB. This will be going up to 384kbps.
- WiFi future - the WiFi beta test is in progress and we’ve been gathering some useful feedback from members. We’ll be reviewing this, fine-tuning things where possible, and then start to shout about the new service to the rest of our members. More long term, we’ll keep checking out other WiFi opportunities and partnerships that come our way, as long as we can continue to do things in our own giffgaff way.
- Ongoing analysis - earlier I mentioned some changes to the network which should provide a boost for data experience. These changes are part of an ongoing effort to tweak and improve things, all at quite a deep and technical level. This means there’ll be plenty of monitoring, analysing and research happening over the coming months, and we’ll share what we can along the way.
Providing the best possible data experience is something we’re always striving for. There’s been many improvements already, but we know there’s always more to be done. We’ll continue to focus on making things better, and will keep you involved and updated at every turn.
Any news or announcements will be shared as soon we have them, but we’ll also to do another general update before the end of the year (where does the time go?!).
Update - 21/08/2017
Good news - I can confirm the increase in speed for Always On data after 6GB will go live this Wednesday 23rd Aug. Also, just wanted to clarify that tethering is now permitted for the whole life of the goodybag, even after using the first 6GB (a few questions have been popping up around this). However, we still have our Traffic Flow policy to protect member experience.