If I may perhaps add some constructive criticism to this unfortunate incident, ideas that could be consider if ever such an incident should happen again, and in this world it just could.
First of all I do believe it is a good idea that members who feel that they have been impacted significantly by the disruption can opt to register, whilst those like me who were not, can refrain from registering - meaning there is more of the pot avaliable for those unortunately effected.
I also thoroughly approve of the possibility of registering and donating what you would have received to charity - great idea!
Now the issues that I see:
- One members mildly inconvenienced is another persons very significantly impacted that is very clear by the claims made by some members.
- Making the registration link available only by e-mail was always going to take some / many days and still not all have received this mail
From the original thread many believed that the mail would be received in 24 maximum 48 hours, that is the way e-mail works, so many are becoming increasing frustrated!
The situation could be greatly improved if GG staff could update the thread on perhaps a daily basis giving perhaps an indication of mails still to be sent / expected date when all mails would be received/ any changes of date for claim registration - this would make it more visible that GG are still involved and take out much of the heat!
But surely the use of e-mail for this is questionable, many of us are concerned about clicking links received in this way.
- Expectations as to the payment seems always to grow over time, many expect £10's even £100's, the mail really gave no indication of the magnitude, unlike O2 and Tesco, and if I am correct it is likely to be in the £1 - £5 range of airtime credit, I believe there will be much anger when this is finally announced.
- The mail almost suggest that the payment will be determined on a case by case basis which again I doubt is the real intention, I know it was written to show empathy but feel it could have been phrased a little more clearly as to the intention.
- Many have asked which charity the money will be given to. I understand giffgaff are in discussion with a charity which has yet to be identified, and many not be known until after the ststed 14/12 deadline. I believe there is a post to that effect and stating the deadline may be delayed - but not easy to find amangst 2000+ posts.
Surly any information like this should be by ammendment to the original post to make it visable.
So please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to rain on the parade, but there are many members who clearly do not feel this have gone so well, and I'm just trying to add some constructive thoughts to what is a difficult situation.