Note: Nominations are now closed. We're currently doing our final review of the nominations and will update with our shortlist soon.
Hi all, it's nearing that time again - as we get closer to the Payback payout for the end of the year, it's time to start thinking about what good causes we all want to support. In this thread, we can all get together to nominate the registered charity that giffgaff members want to make a donation to at the end of the year.
After collecting all the nominations, the top five will go into a final vote across all giffgaffers who have earned Payback. Of those, the top two will get the funds from all members who are going to give their Payback to charity, matched by giffgaff.
Sound good? Good. All you need to do is hit Reply and let us know what charity you want to nominate. Let us know what they're called and why it's a cause that's important to you - like this:
Charity: A Good Cause
Reason: They help people through adversity by making sure that they have the support they need.
Here are the nominations so far, updated every working day. You can add a nomination for one of these charities if you like, or any other charity you care about:
(click to expand)
We'll be collecting nominations from members like you until 23:59 on November 10th, 2019. Nominations are now closed. The technical issue that meant we had to extend the nominations is now fixed. After closure, the top five nominated charities will go into a vote that we'll email out to everyone who's earned points.
If you want more detail, particularly If you're reading this from a charity and want to get involved, please read on - otherwise, just hit Reply and get nominating.
- Each person can only nominate one eligible charity. Please read below to see what charities are or are not eligible, as there are some restrictions. If we determine that one person has nominated multiple times, we will disqualify the additional nominations.
- If you nominate multiple charities, we will get in touch with you privately to clarify which charity your nomination should count for. If you do not clarify before the closing date, we will count the first charity you mentioned.
- In the event that you nominate a charity that is ineligible, we will get in touch with you privately to clarify your intent. If you do not clarify a nomination for an eligible charity before the closing date, your nomination will not be counted.
- If you work for or represent a charity, you must disclose this in your post to allow members to make an informed decision about their nomination. Should we discover that you should have disclosed this and have not, we will consider your nomination invalid.
- Only nominations that are posted as new posts in this thread are eligible to be counted. If you post a nomination elsewhere, we may ask you to repost it in this thread. Similarly, using Reactions to give a post a thumbs up, a heart or any other Reaction will not be considered a nomination.
- We will monitor the nominations during the period to calculate the current vote counts, and publish the results every working day. The daily results are not an announcement or a prediction of the charities that will make the final five shortlist.
- In the event that, by the closing date, there is a tie in nominations for the final five, we will consult with the community to gather opinions on the best way to break the tie. We may use any category the community sees fit to make this decision.
|09 Oct||Nominations begin|
|14 Oct (ish)||Points statement sent to members with link to nominations|
|10 Nov @ 23:59||Nominations close|
|11-13 Nov||Shortlist finalised and announced|
|From 13 Nov (ish)||Vote emails sent|
|TBD||Points statement sent to members with link to Payback choice|
|Early Dec||Payback paid|
Eligible and non-eligible causes
Only active registered charities in the countries in which they operate are eligible.
To help make sure a wide variety of causes are supported, charities that have received funds within the last two years are not eligible for nomination. Please do not nominate these charities, as we cannot accept your nomination. This period, the ineligible charities are:
- Parkinson's UK (received donations June 2019)
- Bumblebee Conservation Trust (received donations June 2019)
- Guide Dogs (received donations December 2018)
- Alzheimer's Society (received donations December 2018)
- Macmillan Cancer Support (received donations June 2018) [Second win]
- Children with Cancer UK (received donations June 2018)
- British Heart Foundation (received donations December 2017) [Second win]
- Save the Children (received donations December 2017)
As they have received funds in the past, only one of the following charities can be included in the final shortlist:
- Air Ambulance Association
- Bluebell Wood Hospice
- British Red Cross
- Cancer Research UK
- Claire House Appeal
- Disasters Emergency Committee
- Great Ormond Street
- Help for Heroes
- Médecins Sans Frontières (AKA Doctors without Borders)
- Teenage Cancer Trust
- Ummah Welfare Trust
- Water Aid
Thanks for nominating, everyone. We're really looking forward to seeing the causes that are close to your heart, and if you haven't yet, don't forget to make your Payback selection for this period.
If you have any feedback on the nominations this time around, we'd love to hear from you. We have a feedback thread running in parallel in the Contribute forum here.