We've just opened the nominations period for this period's giffgaff charity Payback. This time around, we've made a couple of tweaks to have the nominations and votes will work, based on a history of conversations within the community on how it might be improved. Go and have a look 🙂
One of the things that people raised last time was that discussion of the nominations within the nominations thread was potentially confusing for members who were trying to nominate a charity or for collating the nominations, so instead we've set up this thread for feedback. If you haven't seen the other discussions, here's a summary of the changes we've made:
- At least every working day, updating the nomination totals for each charity in a pie chart, so that people can easily see the current state of the nominations. This allows more people a chance to see how their nomination might be valuable, and allow for it to be easier for members to check the nominations were accurately counted.
- Promoting the nominations much more heavily, by reaching out to members in the community who usually post in areas other than Announcements, in addition to our existing promotional efforts.
- Provide a nomination template for members to use that very clearly shows their intentions. This will be optional, as we don't want to disqualify anyone from nominating if their device does not easily allow for interacting with the template.
- Run the nominations sooner than previously. If we were able to close the vote before early November, then it would mean that we could include the names of the selected charities in both the Points Statement and Payback selection pages, which could increase donations. It would have the added benefit of allowing our email team more time to work with the voting emails, as November is always a busy time for the team.
- Change the approach to voting emails so that members who vote understand that their vote applies to each account on that email address, and encourage them to consult with the other people whose accounts are attached to that email. This vote will now be counted for each member on that email address.
- Consult with the community in a tiebreaker situation. Should we need to break ties to arrive at a final five, we will convass for community opinion on how that decision will be made.
We'll also be looking for feedback on how to further evolve the nominations and charity process further, from June 2019, shortly after the charities are paid this period, but I'd like to ask that we keep feedback to what's currently being done so that if changes need to be made we can make clear and quick decisions together on how to make them.