Hope you are keeping well and staying safe. I have some exciting news around the giffgaff app.
As you may know for the last few months we’ve been working on building a new version of the giffgaff app, and the next part of the plan is to roll it out to more members over the coming weeks.
Learnings from beta period
Over the course of the beta period we learnt loads thanks to our beta users. Just to name a few:
- Fixed a whole load of bugs
- Implemented the feature to allow members to buy a goodybag with credit
- Implemented the feature to allow members to buy credit with a voucher
- User experience tweaks based on feedback
With all this feedback and the changes we made, we are now ready to get this out into the hands of more members.
New app version rolled out to 5%
We will begin rolling the app out from Monday 6 April 2020.
To start us off, we’ll be releasing this version of the app to a randomly selected 5% of Android users. We chose Android users for now as this platform allows us to scale up and down the release of the app version fairly easily.
We’ll get as much feedback as we can from this test group as well as monitoring how the platform is performing.
While this is happening we’ll continue fixing bugs, making improvements and working on our backlog of tasks, which can be found here.
How will the 5% of members get this new update?
It’s very simple
- They will see an update for the giffgaff app in the Google Playstore
- They simply need to hit update and the old version of the app will be replaced by the new one
- If they have auto-update on, the app will automatically update
What happens if I’m not part of the 5% but still want early access?
You can join our beta channels and always get early access to the latest version of the app. (Please note that you'll have to follow these steps also if you were already part of our original beta tester group)
Head over to Google Play, look for giffgaff and join the beta program. Spaces are limited so hurry on over.
- Install TestFlight from the App Store
- Once you have downloaded TestFlight, click on this link and follow the instructions to install the giffgaff app
What happens If you have the original beta app (white icon app) on your phone ?
The beta scheme described above will now replace the original beta app we launched in October. If you still have this app (with the white "giffgaff beta" icon), please delete it. If you want to continue as one of our beta testers, please follow the installation steps listed above.
Thank you to each and everyone of you who has been part of the beta testing. Your input through the community, phone interviews, coming to our offices or submitting feedback within the app has been invaluable and played a crucial role in getting us to where we are today and will continue to be a key part of the future development of the app.
Please keep the feedback coming and let’s shape the future of the giffgaff app together 🙂
Apps Product Team