Hi lovely giffgaffers,
Every six months, we get together to select charities to donate to from your hard-earned Payback. This year, with everything going on, it seems more important than ever.
Welcome to the first phase of charity Payback, where you and other community members choose a shortlist of charities together. Over the next week or so (update - nominations will close at 23:59 on May 25th), we’ll collect your nominations on this thread, and take the top five charities through to the voting phase, which will decide which of the final charities will benefit from Payback donations. Where those charities place in the vote determines how much of the charity Payback payout they will receive.
And it all starts here.
To place your nomination for a registered charity all you have to do is hit the reply button and give us the name, and why you’re nominating them, like so:
Charity: A Good Cause
Reason: They help people through adversity by making sure that they have the support they need.
A really good explanation of a charity people might not know about might even garner a few more nominations from other members. If you’re not sure what cause to nominate, have a read through the thread for inspiration.
We will give a daily update and summary on nomination totals in this thread. If you want to have a look at the history of the nominations, pop over to the feedback thread we have running in Contribute - where you can also give feedback on any part of the process.
Heads up - some charities that have won recently won’t be eligible to win again for a little while, as members want to make sure a wide variety of causes can benefit from Payback. Here’s a list of charities that can’t win, so please nominate another cause this time around if you had one of these in mind.
Eligible and non-eligible causes
Only active registered charities in the countries in which they operate are eligible.
To help make sure a wide variety of causes are supported, charities that have received funds within the last two years are not eligible for nomination. Please do not nominate these charities, as we cannot accept your nomination. This period, the ineligible charities are:
- Ealing Churches Winter Night Shelter (received donations December 2019)
- Women’s Aid (received donations December 2019)
- Parkinson's UK (received donations June 2019)
- Bumblebee Conservation Trust (received donations June 2019)
- Guide Dogs (received donations December 2018)
- Alzheimer's Society (received donations December 2018)
- Macmillan Cancer Support (received donations June 2018) [Second win]
- Children with Cancer UK (received donations June 2018)
As they have received funds in the past, only one of the following charities can be included in the final shortlist:
- Air Ambulance Association
- Bluebell Wood Hospice
- British Heart Foundation
- British Red Cross
- Cancer Research UK
- Claire House Appeal
- Disasters Emergency Committee
- Great Ormond Street
- Help for Heroes
- Médecins Sans Frontières (AKA Doctors without Borders)
- Save the Children
- Teenage Cancer Trust
- Ummah Welfare Trust
- Water Aid
If you nominate one of these charities, we can’t count it - but we’ll try and let you know what’s happened so you can re-nominate.
We’ve got some more important details below, particularly if you work for a charity and want to get involved. If you’ve already got a charity in mind, though - hit Reply and nominate away.
- Each person can only nominate one eligible charity. Please read below to see what charities are or are not eligible, as there are some restrictions. If you nominate multiple charities, we will get in touch with you privately to clarify which charity your nomination should count for. If you do not clarify before the closing date, we will count the first charity you mentioned.
- In the event that you nominate a charity that is ineligible, we will get in touch with you privately to clarify your intent. If you do not clarify a nomination for an eligible charity before the closing date, your nomination will not be counted.
- If you work for or represent a charity, you must disclose this in your post to allow members to make an informed decision about their nomination. Should we discover that you should have disclosed this and have not, we will consider your nomination invalid.
- We will monitor nominations for legitimacy, and the team will investigate any nominations that do not appear to have been posted in good faith, which may result in disqualification.
- Only nominations that are posted as new posts in this thread are eligible to be counted. If you post a nomination elsewhere, we may ask you to repost it in this thread. Similarly, using Reactions to give a post a thumbs up, a heart or any other Reaction will not be considered a nomination.
- We will monitor the nominations during the period to calculate the current vote counts and publish the results every working day. The daily results are not an announcement or a prediction of the charities that will make the final five shortlist.
- In the event that, by the closing date, there is a tie in nominations for the final five, we will consult with the community to gather opinions on the best way to break the tie. We may or may not use any category the community sees fit to make this decision.
- We have not yet set an end date for the nominations period. Nominations will last at least a week from the date of this thread, and we will update once we have a firmer schedule.
We are really excited to see all of your nominations, and if you haven’t already please pop over and make your Payback selection for this period.