Knowledge Base
Community

A change coming to goodybags in May 2019

Started by: dc_caton78
On: 04/04/2019 | 11:50
Replies: 3763

by: kim_x
on: 07/08/2019 | 13:11
@blacksymphony We got a price increase before the double data, which just makes these changes look even worse in retrospect.

The problem with these changes at the time were that the higher goodybags were already getting 1GB extra data, with no price rise. £10 and up still get that alongside their free double data. The old £5 goodybag, the Hokey Cokey, had also been removed because users were said not to need the extra minutes, which made people see this as a price rise, as double minutes are by extension surely not needed. The majority of user experiences given in this thread seem to support that.

The removal of the lower rate for extra MB’s data certainly encourages the selecting of a higher goodybags too. Extra data has, since these changes, been charged at the standard PAYG rate of 5p per MB - 5 times as much as O2 and Three as far as I’m aware. Calls are also 5 x more expensive and texts 2.5 times. Some believe that giffgaff only cares about those willing to spend £10 per month and it certainly feels as though that is the case.

While there were perhaps a few better offers around for £10 and up before the recent changes, I would argue that the £10 as it was was still more competitive than the £6 and £8 are.
Message 3751 of 3,764
by: meganthomas
on: 07/08/2019 | 14:46

Giffgaff are far from competitive these days. That, and the arrogance shown to their customer base, are the reason I and presumably many others left for pastures new. I'm only here as my reserve phone has credit yet to be used, but my primary phone is with Vodafone now.

Message 3752 of 3,764
by: digit2
on: 08/08/2019 | 17:23

I’m beginning to think Giffgaff don’t want us low end users. They give us extra useless minutes and a price increase whilst the higher price Goodybag’s get double data for the same price. Come on Giffgaff give us more data too. 

Message 3753 of 3,764
by: rcollinsuwclubnet
on: 08/08/2019 | 18:06

@digit2wrote:

I’m beginning to think Giffgaff don’t want us low end users. They give us extra useless minutes and a price increase whilst the higher price Goodybag’s get double data for the same price. Come on Giffgaff give us more data too. 

Well I've already voted with my feet, gone to O2 1-2-3. Six weeks in and I've used less than £3 of my credit (and I topped up £10 to start and they gave me another £10 for free - how nice is that?). They have also just given me 1GB of data for free - admittedly I've only got it until the 14th so I'm very unlikely to use it all, but it means I can leave my data turned on when I'm out and about instead of just switching it on when I absolutely need to.

I do have a huge concern about GG payback - who gets it, how much etc. For the last payback period I earned a staggering £16, all I did was make a few (less than 10) posts on here, mainly about this issue, gave and received a smattering of kudos. There is a monthly thread about payback calculations and before the last payout there were so many people bragging about how much they'd earned - enough for a year's goodybags and much much more besides. Do people earn for every single post they make, however pointless? (And there are a lot of pointless ones, a trawl in the forum archives is mind-numbing!) I have no doubt that there are many people here who genuinely give helpful advice, help other users etc, and deserve to be paid, but is payback the answer when it is so obviously open to abuse? It seems it would be fairer to share the love by using the profit ploughed into payback to reduce charges - particularly for the low-end users who can afford it least. And employ staff to give the advice that members need. Just a thought :-)

Message 3754 of 3,764
by: kim_x
on: 09/08/2019 | 08:14

I might have voted with my feet in the same way if I didn’t have airtime from taking previous payback as credit. As a low user, it will take a while to get through that. 

As regards to payback, I think that new contributors receive a temporarily inflated amount, as giffgaff wish to encourage those users to continue posting on the community. If you are posting about the issue of goodybag changes, then you are still providing feedback that giffgaff ask for at the end of the post whenever they make an announcement of that kind. giffgaff themselves have said that new users get payback points for things like setting a best answer, as it encourages good forum behaviours.

In general though, I have occasionally wondered about it myself. In the past it was possible to earn 10p in payback in a month, where the minimum is now £1. I think the 10p was a good disincentive to those posting pointless posts, if that did attract payback.

I don’t think that payback should be reduced to employ staff to resolve the more routine problems though. The community/payback/online service resolution is one of the USP’s of giffgaff and if that goes, I fear that giffgaff will be in trouble due to then being just like every other network and with uncompetitive deals at the lower end of the line up. I was previously on 3-2-1 with Three and contract with O2 and disliked that when you tried to resolve something with them online via live chat or a form, you would end up with a response telling you to phone them. I prefer to save myself the time in queues and avoid being hassled by their reps to stay.

Message 3756 of 3,764
by: wagstaffes
on: 09/08/2019 | 09:26 edited: 09/08/2019 | 09:44

@rcollinsuwclubnet surprisingly you can even earn payback points by just reading posts.

Here's the guide on how it's calculated, click the spoiler tags for details.

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/Community-Payback-2-0/td-p/16650918

P.s  if you don't mind me asking, how did you get the extra £10 on your O2 SIM? Did you order your sim online or buy it in the O2 shop? Thanks.

Message 3757 of 3,764
by: rcollinsuwclubnet
on: 09/08/2019 | 10:23

@wagstaffeswrote:

@rcollinsuwclubnet surprisingly you can even earn payback points by just reading posts.

Here's the guide on how it's calculated, click the spoiler tags for details.

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/Community-Payback-2-0/td-p/16650918

P.s  if you don't mind me asking, how did you get the extra £10 on your O2 SIM? Did you order your sim online or buy it in the O2 shop? Thanks.

That’s an interesting read, thanks wagstaffes. It sounds reassuring but I still have concerns that people are earning cash for drivel. A quick look at the July payback calc thread shows 90-odd posts virtually all saying thank you and each with 10-20 kudos. That smacks of manipulation. Whilst saying thank you is lovely does everyone really need to basically say ‘me too’ and do they need so many kudos for doing something that is just good manners? Surely a simple kudos to the op would be better?

Re O2 sim - I ordered from their website and when it arrived the package had a number to text after you’ve topped up to get the free £10. 

Message 3758 of 3,764
by: wagstaffes
on: 09/08/2019 | 10:47

@rcollinsuwclubnet thanks for that info. 

Message 3759 of 3,764
Highlighted
by: figment_uk
on: 09/08/2019 | 11:37

@rcollinsuwclubnet

Aside from all the kudos in the payback thread, one reason for posting on it is to receive notifications when progress updates are posted. 

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.

Message 3760 of 3,764