A change coming to goodybags in May 2019

Started by: dc_caton78
On: 04/04/2019 | 11:50
Replies: 3509

by: dc_caton78
handy giff-staffer

on: 04/04/2019 | 11:50 edited: 04/04/2019 | 11:54

Hi everyone.

In July last year we made changes to our goodybags and in particular, some big improvements to the £5 and £7.50 goodybags, increasing the amount of data in the £5 goodybag five-fold from 100MB to 500MB, and doubling the data in the £7.50 goodybag from 1GB to 2GB.

These changes were very popular, and it’s really clear to us how much you liked them – more than we even anticipated. At the same time, the UK mobile market has become extremely competitive, so in order to make sure we can continue to be the strong business you want us to be, we need to make a few changes.

We had a look at how people used our goodybags. Members on the £5 and £7.50 goodybags aren’t big data users - on the whole, they care much more about minutes. Based on that, on 9 May 2019 we’ll be making the following changes:

goodybagsmay9.png

£5 goodybag

Double minutes - from 150 to 300

Price move - from £5 to £6

£7.50 goodybag

Double minutes - from 250 to 500

Price move - from £7.50 to £8

We never like to raise our prices, so we’ve tried to make sure these goodybags are more valuable than before by doubling the minutes available - in short, it’s a little more money for a lot more talk time.

We also need to change the cost of mobile data when your allowance has run out from your goodybag to bring it in line with our normal PAYG rates. From 9 May 2019 this change will apply to every goodybag:

All goodybags

Price move - from 2p/MB to 5p/MB for mobile internet outside of your goodybag allowance

We’ll be contacting all affected members to let them know about the changes, a month before it happens.

As I mentioned above, the UK mobile market is more competitive than ever, and we also know that we’ll have to be competitive on more than just price. Part of being run by you means that we always want to hear your ideas for the next big thing for members, to make mobile far more than just a discussion on how many mins, texts & MB you get for your money.

So, I’d love to hear your ideas for giffgaff’s next big thing – that fits well with our ‘mutual giving’ ethos – and of course your thoughts about our planned changes too.

All the best

DC

Message 1 of 3,510
by: smithster225225
on: 04/04/2019 | 12:14 edited: 17/05/2019 | 05:29

@dc_caton78

Members who buy the £5 goodybag are more than likely to be light users (as the OP itself suggests), and therefore I don't think the extra minutes would bother them.

I think they are more likely to concentrate on having to pay an extra £1.

Personally I think its a good deal but I can imagine some complaints.

It may even be an idea to cut the mins from 150 to 100 and keep it as a £5?

Smiley Happy

EDIT -

WOW!

Guys Smiley Happy Thanks for all the kudos!

I never expected when I replied to this thread to get such a positive reaction (even if it didn't stop the price hike!)

Good luck to everyone for next month with their payback payout Smiley Happy

Don't forget to AWARD BEST ANSWER Or give Kudos to members that helped!
Message 2 of 3,510
by: essie112mm
on: 04/04/2019 | 12:18 edited: 04/04/2019 | 12:23

I don't think this is going to be a popular move with users who used to buy the old data gigabags or regular users.

Edited to add that re. the above point the data allowance on the £7.50 bag was raised from 1GB to 2GB last year and the £5 goodybag data allowance was raised from 100MB to 500MB - but memories are often short Smiley Surprised

As someone who buys both the £5 and £7.50 goodybags for myself and two others none of us will be using the extra minutes and don't actually use anywhere near the allowance, so doubling them is no help whatsoever. I'd rather stick with the existing allowances and not have a price hike.

27/08/2017
My @mentions are turned OFF
Message 3 of 3,510
by: jokeyboi77
on: 04/04/2019 | 12:38

I'm also not sure how this will go down with giffgaffers @dc_caton78 because as already mentioned alot of members who use these goodybags aren't large users so the extra minutes won't make a difference but in this current climate the price increase will, although I understand it had to be done. Ironically I've moved up to the £10 goodybag this month because I needed more data, but I presume adding extra data instead of minutes wasn't viable?

jokeyboi-v2.png
Message 4 of 3,510
by: tired16
on: 04/04/2019 | 12:39

Hi @dc_caton78 

I was really excited to click this thread and see what it's about. I was truly hoping  that there would be some change to the £5 goodybag in the form of extra texts, rather than minutes.

I've had this discussion with other members on here who agreed that they'd much rather have extra texts and less data. I'd love to be able to convert my data into texts. 

My goodybag month ends looking more like this:

data: 500mb

Texts: 0

minutes: 90 

Does this mean that those of us who regularly buy the £5 goodybag will now need to pay £6 for extra minutes that we won't be using? 

Thank you. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Please remember to select a "Best answer" and give "Kudos" to those that have helped you. Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 3,510
by: bornagain1
on: 04/04/2019 | 12:40
It's certainly a backward move for me, as I rarely make more than 5 mins a month calls, and virtually use all my data on the £7.50 goodybag! So I'm not too happy about this, although I realise the reasoning behind it. After all it is a price increase however much you try to call it something else. Having said all that I'm still firmly stood in the Giffgaff corner. 👍
Message 6 of 3,510
by: tired16
on: 04/04/2019 | 12:42

@jokeyboi77wrote:

I'm also not sure how this will go down with giffgaffers @dc_caton78 because as already mentioned alot of members who use these goodybags aren't large users so the extra minutes won't make a difference but in this current climate the price increase will, although I understand it had to be done. Ironically I've moved up to the £10 goodybag this month because I needed more data, but I presume adding extra data instead of minutes wasn't viable?

@jokeyboi77 

Ironically too, I moved up from the £5 goodybag to the £7.50 one this month and started my goodybag DAYS early because I needed the texts. 

I'd love to swap my data for your texts! Smiley Very Happy 

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Please remember to select a "Best answer" and give "Kudos" to those that have helped you. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 3,510
by: jokeyboi77
on: 04/04/2019 | 12:44

@tired16wrote:

@jokeyboi77wrote:

@jokeyboi77 

Ironically too, I moved up from the £5 goodybag to the £7.50 one this month and started my goodybag DAYS early because I needed the texts. 

I'd love to swap my data for your texts! Smiley Very Happy 

Now there's an idea @tired16 a 'mutual giving' bank where we can swap parts of our allowance, that would be handy! 😉

jokeyboi-v2.png
Message 8 of 3,510
by: m4rkw
on: 04/04/2019 | 12:55

Not happy about this at all. I use 0 minutes and only care about the data.

Please consider adding a new cheaper goodybag for data and SMS only users.

Message 9 of 3,510
by: svenskal
on: 04/04/2019 | 12:58

Not happy as a very light user. Will have to look at other providers after a long time happy with giffgaff. Agree with others that keep minutes and price.

Message 10 of 3,510