on: 28/12/2018 | 21:01

tenor (1).gif

For updating giffgaff family.😃👍

Message 251 of 276
Highlighted
by: dtuxcomp
on: 28/12/2018 | 22:03
@mr09 Love that gif Smiley Wink Smiley Happy
Smiley Happy Take my advice, I'm not using it | Dtuxcomp's Tips | Free Giffgaff SIM with £5 credit
Message 252 of 276
by: ujo55
on: 15/01/2019 | 17:27
and now it seems that introducing this 'age gate' has brought the publishing of the December payback points to a complete standstill!!!
Message 253 of 276
by: tuneintestaccount
on: 16/01/2019 | 07:47

@ujo55 wrote:

and now it seems that introducing this 'age gate' has brought the publishing of the December payback points to a complete standstill!!!

Indeed, if things had been left alone then the Payback uploads and timings would still be fine and not affected?

Plus, what is the problem of under 16s earning a couple of pennies? If they are spending too much time, the onus should be on the parents and not on the service provider?

Anyone heard of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" before?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 254 of 276
on: 16/01/2019 | 11:33

@tuneintestaccount wrote:

@ujo55 wrote:

Indeed, if things had been left alone then the Payback uploads and timings would still be fine and not affected?

Plus, what is the problem of under 16s earning a couple of pennies? If they are spending too much time, the onus should be on the parents and not on the service provider?

Anyone heard of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" before?

@tuneintestaccount  Sadly doing nothing is't an option. When this was first raised it was mentioned that a few parents had complained to GG about their children being encouraged by the payback to spend too much time on the forum providing help. Once even one complaint is registered GG have no choice but respond, so this thread was about testing the water for a solution that wouldn't negatively affect the rest of the members but would provide a fix to the issue. Legally children are allowed to earn but there's a lot of constraints on it. The payment isn't in itself the problem as it's essentially like a loyalty or rewards scheme, we're not employees or sub-contractors of GG, it's a thank you for lending a hand.

The debate rolled on because it wasn't known if a simple "I'm over 16" tickbox would be enough for the people who complained vs a more robust method that could stop other methods being able to pass the check, it's the same issue as the over 18's content block, a lot of genuine members who would like this block lifted can't because of the very strict and limited options available as proof, myself included, I don't have a new passport or driving license so couldn't get the bar lifted if I chose to, so if that route was used a a gate I'd fail the checks, at 43 yrs old that would be a tad annoying Smiley Wink

Anyway I hope that helps give a bit more context to this without you having to read through the whole thread.

D.

Smiley Happy Take my advice, I'm not using it | Dtuxcomp's Tips | Free Giffgaff SIM with £5 credit
Message 255 of 276
by: alantony1
on: 16/01/2019 | 12:32

@t_will Hi i don't understand what the big deal is. A simple yes or no answer of your age should be enough any one caught out should be asked to leave.Why is this thread even out here.As times gone by I've noticed people making mountains out of mole hills.Alan

Message 256 of 276
by: tuneintestaccount
on: 16/01/2019 | 12:42
@dtuxcomp I suppose you're right in that there is the potential of children spending too much time on the community, earning payback, rather than doing important things such as studies for school, and I am happy that Giffgaff are using a solution that wouldn't impact people who are over the age barrier but have no formal ID such as a driving license or passport. And whilst I still believe that parents should also have a say on how much time a child spends on places such as here, if there are too many complaints to Giffgaff, well, something has to be done.
I am over 18 but don't have the adult filter on for that very reason: I'm not comfortable with handing any company my personal details, such as passport or driving license numbers. If anything happened to the Giffgaff website, such as a data breach, then there would be the risk of people's driving license or passport numbers being leaked.
I must add that I've read this thread for quite a while, so am happy that Giffgaff have chosen the method (tick box) that they have, as it causes minimal disruption to users who would otherwise be excluded from the age check (yet over the age limit). I just thought it would be better if Giffgaff waited until it was fully integrated with the uploading of points to the website etc before rolling it out, so as to not cause the issues we currently have regarding no-one being able to see their points (and therefore the statements being delayed - though they would have already been delayed due to the rollover from December Payout).

Though at least in theory, by getting it out of the way now, it means that we shouldn't have any issues like this again and that points updates should be smooth in the future?
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 257 of 276
on: 16/01/2019 | 12:44
@alantony1 That's what this thread was intended to sort out. The general consensus seems to be that a simple tick box should do the trick and leave GG covered that they didn't ignore the complaints, but they absolutely had to do something or be left exposed.
Message 258 of 276
by: alantony1
on: 16/01/2019 | 12:50
@dtuxcomp Afternoon I agree Gg had to do something but a simple yes or no to age and that's sorted. I personally don't see any harm in the under 16 teens making some change. I wish there were ways like this to earn some money. I did a paper round in my day.Alan
Message 259 of 276
on: 16/01/2019 | 12:55

@tuneintestaccount  Thank you, as this thread had gone quiet for a bit I wasn't sure if you'd read through it or not.

It's a pity that even a single complaint could set something like this in action, I too would prefer parents dealt with it at home rather than making GG turn things on it's head, frankly there's far worse things kids can be doing on-line than learning how to provide clear and useful advice to others, but nowadays it's not safe for an organisation to ignore these complaints. It's not a simple issue to resolve on the GG side of things, I think that's why it's taken so long, any points already acrued couldn't just be taken away so it has to happen at payout time so younger members are made aware that after a certain point they will not be earning any points, that way they can decide if they want to continue to provide the help or not. It just gets stupidly complicated to roll out a fix to what is seemingly a very small issue.

Better it's got out of the way now than during the change over to the Vanilla platform Smiley Happy

I would love to get the adult content bar removed for two reasons, I don't like this sort of restriction being placed on a service I pay for, it'd be like buying a car and then having to go through a whole other process to be able to use reverse gear, also I've found it blocks perfectly innocent sites, as you know I'm a fellow hobbyist and some sites just fail the adult check because they are put together by a single person fjust for the love of it, yet one wrong click on somewhere like FB and I can still end up with the screen full of unwanted "lady-bits" Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised  anyway that's a different debate Smiley Happy

Message 260 of 276