Knowledge Base
Community

Best practice for passwords and usernames

Started by: gregg_b
On: 27/07/2016 | 12:26
Replies: 49

by: alex777777
on: 30/07/2016 | 18:55
I have multiple passwords etc,and I've been using lastpass password vault,which takes away the need to remember multiple passwords and user names.
The only password you need remember is for Lastpass,it does the rest.
I'd be lost with out it.
Message 31 of 50
by: dianabrst
on: 30/07/2016 | 20:49

that sounds great. I used lastpass but then it kept on trying to fill in passwords when I hadn't asked for it to do so or insert data that was not relevant or try to interfere if I was filling in a form.  So then I used to have long lists of passwords for all the different sites that I had written down in a large book and sometimes spent hours trying to find them. Now I have created one unique password that I can always remember as a basis for creating all of them - similar to your last suggestion. To this basic password I then just add a short or long name of the site in question (e.g. gaff) in a specific order (e.g. at beginning or at the end or middle or every other letter or something).  These unique passwords for each site make perfect sense to me but it is nonsense to a computer - particularly if the computer has a different keyboard to mine.  However, my passwords are probably much shorter than your's so you obviously have a very good memory!  

Message 32 of 50
by: dianabrst
on: 30/07/2016 | 21:01
I too was initially pleased but then had problems when lastpass wanted to start inserting the password when `i was merely filling in a form. `but despite my methodical attempt at educating it re my 4 gmail accounts so that they didn't enter the wrong password, there were some mix-ups and so I gave it up. Particularly as they wanted to use my profile info to fill in forms. They also collected data but it was often wrong. It is after all a computer programme that can ONLY do what it was programmed to do. However, glad it works for you. Although if they get hacked, there's a problem. I also found it fastidious to have to type out my password every time I wanted to use lastpass. However glad it works for you as indeed it does for many others.
Message 33 of 50
by: jpcjpc
on: 02/08/2016 | 21:37

jokeyboi77 wrote:

I use the same password for everything, because it's a large password containing Caps, small letters and numbers and it'll be almost impossible for my family members to know never mind strangers, so goodluck to anyone trying to get it! Smiley Wink

I've seen some terrible advice posted in the giffgaff forums over the years, but this is by far and away the worst.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 34 of 50
by: jokeyboi77
on: 02/08/2016 | 21:42

jpcjpc wrote:

jokeyboi77 wrote:

I use the same password for everything, because it's a large password containing Caps, small letters and numbers and it'll be almost impossible for my family members to know never mind strangers, so goodluck to anyone trying to get it! Smiley Wink

I've seen some terrible advice posted in the giffgaff forums over the years, but this is by far and away the worst.

It can't be the worst because it's not advice it's what I do, just putting it out there, not advising anyone, just joining in on a conversation you know! Smiley Wink

jokeyboi-v2.png
Message 35 of 50
by: misswotsit
on: 03/08/2016 | 09:23
I change my passwords regularly. Can never be too cautious if you ask me!
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 36 of 50
by: claw
on: 03/08/2016 | 15:39

Cheers!  

Good tip. I should really update my passwords. 

Message 37 of 50
by: revjonty
on: 03/08/2016 | 16:43

claw wrote:

Cheers!  

Good tip. I should really update my passwords. 

I don't think you should bother @claw

Nobody is ever going to guess that wa1cc1aw is your password on everything, I didn't Smiley Wink

Order a sim from here & get a bonus £5 credit upon activation

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 38 of 50
by: claw
on: 03/08/2016 | 16:45

lol everyone will be trying that now. They all want to be claw xD 

Message 39 of 50
by: rong42
on: 04/08/2016 | 08:52

aequalszero wrote:

persco wrote:

It's all a pain really. I have like 8 different passwords at work for same or different systems and they still demand we change them after every 60days!

Haha - yeah, same here!  And you can't re-use old ones so it's a process of constantly incrementing a number to keep the password unique...

misswotsit wrote:

I change my passwords regularly. Can never be too cautious if you ask me!

Depending on what you are changing your password to, frequent changes may not actually be good for security. I was reading about this yesterday - the danger is falling into patterns with your passwords, which could then be guessed. This was the article I was reading:

http://arstechnica.co.uk/security/2016/08/frequent-password-changes-are-bad/ 

Message 40 of 50