Community

Big changes ahead for the giffgaff community

Started by: alex_w
On: 06/09/2018 | 16:06
Replies: 203

Highlighted
by: starkey93
on: 08/12/2018 | 00:04
@alex_w this sounds really exciting and it would be nice to have a new fresh take on the platform, be great to see what changes happen. Only thing I would be a little worried about is that it may be more difficult to use.?
C.starkey
Message 181 of 204
by: o__o
on: 08/12/2018 | 14:16
@alex_w
It just hit me and I wanted to ask, will the new forums still be free rated? e.g. will members still be able to access the community without data allowance?
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 182 of 204
by: jjayleon
on: 08/12/2018 | 19:21

I’d be interested in migrating, I’ve wondered why so many communities continued use lithium for so long as it seems to have many issues, but I’m wondering how this will affect payback calculations, particularly during the changeover process?

Don't forget to kudo helpful posts! Smiley Happy
Message 183 of 204
by: geu42
on: 08/12/2018 | 20:57

@alex_w wrote:

@shahzadh wrote:

Will it look and feel the same?

Initially, it will look and feel similar - though not the same. As with any platform change, there will be a number of changes that will occur as a result of the change. Some of those changes will be due to features in the new platform that we don't have currently. Some will be because we've been aware for a while now that there are some elements of the current look and feel that are not very well optimised. 

I believe gg have been aware from day one, since the day it 'updated' in November 2016, yet we've still had to suffer it for over 2 years.

Tbh i'm dreading it incase it's worse than this, and we won't be listened to again either. Remember that monster thread about it? I do Smiley Sad

Message 184 of 204
by: masterluke
on: 09/12/2018 | 02:35

@alex_w wrote:

@masterluke wrote:

This can't come soon enough Lithium is bloody awful! Although I assume Vanilla will still be hosted on slow US servers?

Our current Lithium platform is hosted in Europe, actually. The Vanilla platform will be in the US, however we're still expecting to see a signficant improvement in performance.

@alex_w Really?

"Country of origin for 76.9% of all visits is United Kingdom. It lies approximately 4330 miles away from the server location (United States) and such a long distance can negatively affect website speed, as it takes some time for data to travel back and forth between those places. That’s why one of the best ways to speed up Giffgaff.com page load time for the majority of users is moving the server to United Kingdom or just closer to the user base."

"the total size of Giffgaff.com main page is 3.0 MB. This result falls beyond the top 1M of websites and identifies a large and not optimized web page that may take ages to load. 65% of websites need less resources to load. Images take 1.2 MB which makes up the majority of the site volume."

Bloat.

"We analyzed Giffgaff.com page load time and found that the first response time was 854 ms and then it took 4.9 sec to load all DOM resources and completely render a web page. This is a poor result, as 70% of websites can load faster."

"Giffgaff.com uses IP address which is currently shared with 4 other domains. The more sites share the same IP address, the higher the host server’s workload is. It is strongly recommended that the host server should be changed or the hosting provider should be requested to give a different (separate) IP address for this domain."

There's more where that came from:

https://www.accessify.com/g/giffgaff.com

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 185 of 204
by: masterluke
on: 09/12/2018 | 02:39

What's with the reference to cm.g.doubleclick.net as well btw?

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 186 of 204
by: russel_mufc
on: 09/12/2018 | 09:01
Sound like fun times maybe I should return to the forum more as I have been slacking (busy) the last few years
Message 187 of 204
by: alex_w
community giff-staffer

on: 12/12/2018 | 15:49

@masterluke it's important to remember and understand that "giffgaff.com" and "community.giffgaff.com" are two entirely separate entities. They do not share *any* hosting and run on entirely separated architecture. 

giffgaff.com runs on architecture operated by giffgaff. I can't go into details of that architecture. The current (Lithium) forum community runs on architecture owned and maintained by Lithium (in Europe), and is located very much separate from the giffgaff.com servers. The future (Vanilla) forum community will run on architecture owned and maintained by Vanilla, and will remain separate from the giffgaff.com architecture.

While the Vanilla servers will be in the US, we are entirely confident that making this change will result in significant performance improvements for the community here. It is, after all, not *just* server location that defines website performance.

As far as the analysis you've posted, I can categorically state that you cannot rely on the information presented on that page. I've checked with our Ops team, and while I can't share details of how and where giffgaff.com is hosted the statement made on that website that giffgaff.com is hosted in the US is absolutely false.

Community Platform Manager - Powered by coffee.
Message 188 of 204
by: alex_w
community giff-staffer

on: 12/12/2018 | 15:54

@o__o wrote:

@alex_w
It just hit me and I wanted to ask, will the new forums still be free rated? e.g. will members still be able to access the community without data allowance?

Yep, we'll still be free rating the new community.

Community Platform Manager - Powered by coffee.
Message 189 of 204
by: ijustcantdoit
on: 13/12/2018 | 00:32

@alex_w

Thats great news about the new community having the same free .access 

“Welcome
Message 190 of 204