[Competition closed] The clocks are going back - help us send our reminder

Started by: t_will
On: 18/10/2018 | 17:06
Replies: 48

Highlighted
by: t_will
community giff-staffer

on: 18/10/2018 | 17:06 edited: 22/10/2018 | 13:18

Hi folks! This competition is now closed, and we'll be judging the winning entry shortly. Keep an eye out for the message from Wednesday 24th.

Hi everyone! If you've been here a while you'll know that this is a bit of a staple of the giffgaff community - whenever British Summer Time begins or ends, we send out a little message to members to remind them that the clocks are going forward or back, written by one of you lovely lot.

This time around is no exception - we'd love to send the message round again for the clocks going back on the 28th of October, and we're looking to get some suggestions from you all as to what we might say. That's where you come in - give us your thoughts, maybe a little wordplay, a joke, or a poem, and it might just be the text message that gets sent to thousands of giffgaffers.

The main things to remember:

The clocks go back on the 28th of October at 2am.

The clocks are going back, not forward - we don't want people losing an hour the wrong way!

Limit it to around 120 characters so we can fit some admin stuff in the text at the end. We've got a little leeway but we can't go much higher.

Because we've got a lot of people to send it to, we'll be aiming to send the message from Wednesday right through to Saturday, so it needs to make sense no matter what day someone gets it.

We're taking entries until 1pm on Monday, October 22nd, so get your thinking caps on quick.

Some theme ideas to get you started:

Halloween is just around the corner. A spooky theme might go down well.

Have the first Autumn leaves started turning in your area?

What will you do with your extra hour of sleep?

And the legal stuff (I'm told we have to have it):

Click to reveal
  1. We’ll announce the winner in the community. If you’re the lucky winner we’ll also send you a community Private Message to let you know.
  2. To qualify, you need to post your entry in this community thread by 1pm on Monday, October 22nd 2018. Entries must abide by our Terms and Conditions and Community Code of Conduct.
  3. The prize is that your suggestion will be used in a text message that we send out to giffgaffers the week of October 22nd 2018. This is the only prize and there is no cash alternative.
  4. We may put the winner’s membername on our social media pages as well as in the community, and they may be required to participate in publicity connected with this Competition. If you enter, you agree to your membername being made publicly available if you win.
  5. You grant us the right to use the content of your entry as per section 8 of our Terms and Conditions. We reserve the right to alter the text of the winning entry in order to provide the text message.
  6. Any personal details you provide will at all times be kept in accordance with our Privacy Policy, which can be found here https://www.giffgaff.com/boiler-plate/privacy.
  7. In the event of fraud, abuse, and/or an error affecting the proper operation of this Competition, we reserve the right to end or suspend the Competition; amend these terms & conditions; declare void the notification of winner(s); and/or to allocate the Prize by conducting a simple draw from all entrants.
  8. If any provision of these terms and conditions is held invalid by any law, rule, order or regulation of any government, or by the final determination of any court of a competent jurisdiction, such invalidity shall not affect the enforceability of any other provisions not held to be invalid.
  9. The winner will be chosen by giffgaff staff. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
  10. We reserve the right to suspend, cancel or amend the promotion and/or review and revise these terms and conditions at any time without giving prior notice and by continuing to take part in the promotion subsequent to any revision of these terms and conditions, entrants shall be deemed to have agreed to any such new or amended terms.
  11. This promotion is governed by English Law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
  12. The promoter of this Competition is giffgaff (that’s us). For any more information about us, visit our website.

That's it! Just pop your entries in here over the next few days, and it could be going out to your fellow giffgaffers before the end of next week. I can't wait to see what you come up with - you're a creative bunch!

Best,

Will

giffgaff community bloke
I'll be away on a break after the 20th until July 1st. If you need something while I'm away, ask an Educator you know or hit me up next month.
You can send me a message and we'll get rolling. Need a topic? Try here.
Message 1 of 49
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 18/10/2018 | 17:11

Nice one  @t_will  I allways forget about this happening and so its great to get the message .

Good luck everyone

green v3.pngorange gameplan v4.pngblue v3.pngH&S Banner.png
Message 2 of 49
by: davidross1939
on: 18/10/2018 | 18:02
@ t_will Thank you for reminder.
Message 3 of 49
by: frenchielove
on: 18/10/2018 | 19:22

I shall watch with interest @t_will the only way I can ever remember is the old saying, Fall, backward. Spring, forward. It helps me to remember 

Message 4 of 49
by: dav1d1
on: 18/10/2018 | 19:32

Sleep in tomorrow, and you wake up at usual time

Message 5 of 49
by: brulaw
on: 18/10/2018 | 21:02

@t_will

Hi Will .... good to see the thread up and running  , it's always great fun seeing the messages our giffgaffers come up with , I'll see if I can think of something catchy .......

big-grin.gif Happy giffgaffing  everyonethumbup.gif

Message 6 of 49
by: timwilliams25
on: 18/10/2018 | 21:27 edited: 18/10/2018 | 21:28

Don't forget to put your clock back.  Johnson and Rees-Mogg can't blame Theresa May for this additional hour of Brexit delay!

CLICK HERE to get a free £5 credit with this giffgaff Sim order. We all like something for free!
Message 7 of 49
by: frazzled66
on: 19/10/2018 | 00:03
An extra hour to avoid all media about a certain baby etc., Woo hoo a nice lie in!
Message 8 of 49
by: frenchielove
on: 19/10/2018 | 17:43

Further to my previous message and the saying Spring forward, Fall back, which really helps me. Here is a little poem, hope it triggers you all into more reminders 🤗

Spring forward, Spring forward, we all used to say

and I did, I sprung forward on the relevent day.

Fall backwards, Fall backwards, the words echo still,

Reminder to alter the clocks, and I will.

Remember this ditty, and you cannot go wrong,

In March we go forwards a spring and a song.

But October it’s backwards, Fall backwards, I say

And turn that clock backward on the relevent day. 

Message 9 of 49
by: lynmouth1
on: 19/10/2018 | 17:57

I refuse to put my clocks back!  The rest of the country will just have to fall in line with me :0)

Message 10 of 49