Data Update - Aug 2017

Started by: gary_1989
On: 08/08/2017 | 16:01
Replies: 74

by: gary_1989
handy giff-staffer

on: 08/08/2017 | 16:01 edited: 21/08/2017 | 18:36

Hi all

I feel it’s been too long since our last proper data update, but the good news is it means we’ve got plenty to discuss. You can find all the detail below, but here are the juicy headlines:

• Significant upgrade to how giffgaff uses the data network
  • WiFi hotspots beta live
  • Increase to speed on Always On after 6GB

Hopefully those headlines were enticing 😊 Please read on for more info on general updates and a look at what’s on the giffgaff horizon. As always, it would be great to get your feedback in the comments below.

Updates – what’s been happening?

• Network upgrade – we’re constantly working with O2 to find ways to optimise and deliver a better experience to members. After various tests and trials behind the scenes in the first half of the year, we’ve recently made some changes that should provide a significant improvement to giffgaff data experience. We’ve seen some positive comments coming through already, but are keen to hear how everyone is getting on. Have you noticed any improvements in data speeds in the last couple of weeks? How do speed tests compare with before?

• WiFi beta - a couple of weeks ago we launched a beta for access to WiFi on the London Underground and other WiFi hotspots around the UK, see here if you missed it. While we’ll always work to improve the network side of things, we also believe WiFi has a role to play in providing coverage (particularly in those hard to reach places). We’ll work through the beta together and then spread the word more widely.

• Survey scores - one of the many ways we track our member’s experience, is to ask you about it (genius, I know). Every day we survey you fine folk, with a couple of questions included around data experience. The trend we’re seeing is very encouraging – current satisfaction scores are the highest they’ve ever been at 79% (compared to 78% in January, and 76% last August).

On the horizon …

• Always On update - as we make improvements to data service and network capacity, we’ll always be looking for ways to give more value back to our members (like the goodybag refresh we made in Feb to include more data from £7.50 up to £15). In a few weeks’ time, we are making a change to our Always On data, increasing the speed you receive during the day after you’ve used 6GB. This will be going up to 384kbps.

• WiFi future - the WiFi beta test is in progress and we’ve been gathering some useful feedback from members. We’ll be reviewing this, fine-tuning things where possible, and then start to shout about the new service to the rest of our members. More long term, we’ll keep checking out other WiFi opportunities and partnerships that come our way, as long as we can continue to do things in our own giffgaff way.

• Ongoing analysis - earlier I mentioned some changes to the network which should provide a boost for data experience. These changes are part of an ongoing effort to tweak and improve things, all at quite a deep and technical level. This means there’ll be plenty of monitoring, analysing and research happening over the coming months, and we’ll share what we can along the way.

Providing the best possible data experience is something we’re always striving for. There’s been many improvements already, but we know there’s always more to be done. We’ll continue to focus on making things better, and will keep you involved and updated at every turn.

Any news or announcements will be shared as soon we have them, but we’ll also to do another general update before the end of the year (where does the time go?!).

Thanks everyone

Gary

Update - 21/08/2017

Good news - I can confirm the increase in speed for Always On data after 6GB will go live this Wednesday 23rd Aug. Also, just wanted to clarify that tethering is now permitted for the whole life of the goodybag, even after using the first 6GB (a few questions have been popping up around this). However, we still have our Traffic Flow policy to protect member experience.

giffgaff Product Owner
Message 1 of 75
by: anth006
on: 08/08/2017 | 16:17
Things are moving in the right direction. Thanks Gary.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 75
by: a1ant
on: 08/08/2017 | 17:39

Hi @gary_1989,

Thank you so much for the update, really appreciate it. Smiley Happy

Kind Regards

a1ant Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 75
by: w69d
on: 08/08/2017 | 19:23

IMG_20170808_191432_590.jpg

Great mobile data speeds at last , well done giffgaff

( i'd better not do too many speedtests at using 58mb's for this one Smiley Wink   )

Message 4 of 75
by: discoandrew
on: 08/08/2017 | 20:11

Thanks very much for the news update, much appreciated.

Massive improvement to data speeds now, even at busy times of the day. It's all good ☺. Proud to be a giffgaff member.

discoandrew is inviting you to join Giffgaff and take advantage of their great value SIM Only Deals.

Order a free Giffgaff SIM through My Referral Link (click or tap here) and you'll also receive £ 5.00 FREE WELCOME CREDIT within 24 hours of SIM card activation. Thank you.

Message 5 of 75
by: persco
on: 08/08/2017 | 20:25

This is awesome news. Thank you!

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 75
by: mcilwraith
on: 09/08/2017 | 05:59

Every little helps as they say

All good news

Message 7 of 75
by: cadufo86
on: 09/08/2017 | 08:13
I really think that it's now time to redesign the goodybag for high data users. Having a limit of 6GB to the most expensive goodybag it has really becoming outdated giffgaff's tariffs.
Message 8 of 75
by: j_s
on: 09/08/2017 | 09:49
I've not noticed any improvements here but its good to know your trying.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 75
by: mark1101b
on: 09/08/2017 | 10:23

Nice one @gary_1989  Thanks for the update.. That's better news for the 'Always On' users....  

Message 10 of 75