Community

Free access to WiFi hotspots

Started by: gary_1989
On: 09/10/2017 | 10:48
Replies: 133

by: pinkcalculator
on: 27/07/2019 | 17:36

@jaymailsays 

It hadn’t even crossed my mind about Boris. The only thing is I though it was linked to the tubes but no such luck no chance of service while moving. I guess if they can’t even get air con on the tubes sorted there’s no chance of Wi-fi 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 121 of 134
by: jaymailsays
on: 27/07/2019 | 17:50

@pinkcalculator As long as you have the giffgaff app WiFi extra works on the platforms but not in the tunnels at present. tfl have exciting plans to introduce 4G to stations, including tunnels starting next year.

As far as I remember a £1m prize fund was offered to any inventor who could come up with a viable solution to air-con on the tube. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 122 of 134
by: pinkcalculator
on: 27/07/2019 | 17:59

@jaymailsays I wonder if anyone has won the money I suspect not. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 123 of 134
on: 27/07/2019 | 18:19

@pinkcalculator 

@pinkcalculatorwrote:

@jaymailsays I wonder if anyone has won the money I suspect not. 

The difficulties with restricted tunnel headroom and historic infrastructure are the main barriers to overcoming the will to finding a solution to the air-con problem.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 124 of 134
by: harrrrrry
on: 27/07/2019 | 21:02

@pinkcalculator 

It hadn’t even crossed my mind about Boris.

You really think Boris would make visiting giffgaff one of his first tasks? Unlikely I think but it probably ought to be one of his seconds, once he has got brexit sorted out. So that might not necessarily be for a few months yet Smiley Surprised

Getting a bit off topic, but ...

I guess if they can’t even get air con on the tubes sorted

Circle, District, Hammersmith and Metropolitan lines are air conditioned, according to https://londonist.com/london/transport/this-tube-map-shows-which-lines-are-air-conditioned, though curiously I never noticed it until this afternoon when I changed from Vitoria Line (very hot) to Bakerloo (very very hot) to Metropolitan (quite cool). Oh, and it was going to Uxbridge but I only went part of the way.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 125 of 134
by: luke198830
on: 27/07/2019 | 23:35
@gary_1989 Thanks Gary for the good news. One thing I want to ask on the o2 hotspot when you connect to it on your Giffgaff phone do you have to sign in to it with your name and number? Because when you connect to the o2 hotspot on your o2 phone you have to sign in to it with your name and number.
Message 126 of 134
on: 27/07/2019 | 23:55

@pinkcalculator The Piccadilly line runs deep underground in Central London unlike the Metropolitan Line which is cut and cover. Plus the stock is relatively new on the Met.

Boris only has a 5000 majority in Uxbridge so he probably needs to visit his constituents and their employers pronto.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 127 of 134
Highlighted
by: stephenpperry
on: 03/08/2019 | 18:14

This is a really great addition, I'm loving the extension of data capabilities at giffgaff it's really encouraging! More data acces for everyone is great news! 

Kudos costs me nothing, so I give it freely .

Check out my friends discounts and bonuses page Take a look and let me know what you think!
Message 129 of 134
by: libbymcg66
on: 15/08/2019 | 22:15
Great news, when you aren't a big data user like myself, this is great when Im near a hot spot
Message 130 of 134