Community

Heads up on some scams - protect yourself

Started by: lauracarruthers
On: 13/08/2018 | 12:06
Replies: 110

by: lauracarruthers
handy giff-staffer

on: 13/08/2018 | 12:06

Hi there, I’m Laura - I’m the fraud and payments manager at giffgaff and I’ve been here for just over a year keeping an eye out for anything suspicious. In my spare time you’ll find me on a yoga mat or eating lots of cheese - sometimes at the same time!

Day-to-day, I keep an eye out for payments issues and help protect our members and business from fraudsters. Because of that, I’m here with a couple of important safety tips.

Number one - I want to remind everyone that we’re an online-only business, and we don’t do any business over the phone. We’ve seen a little bit of a rise in reports recently of people getting phone calls from scammers claiming to be from giffgaff, offering deals on new phones, and then collecting a lot of personal information from the person they’re calling, including payment or bank information. In some cases, there are actually phones ordered on their behalf, but only to further the scam - by ordering the wrong device, and then the fraudster collecting the phone (often pretending to be a courier who is returning the phone) and the purchaser losing out.

If you ever receive a phone call claiming to be from giffgaff, please make sure that you don’t engage with the caller - if you don’t give them any information, there’s very little they can do. If you block them on your phone, some phones have features that will share this block with other users as well.

If you think you’ve been a victim of fraud, Action Fraud has a great guide on what steps you should take.

Number two - We’ve also seen a few scams floating around of dodgy sites offering bonuses on your topup. The scammers might offer something like £30 airtime credit for £15, and then once you’ve paid the £15 to them, they use a stolen card to buy you the credit. When the person who owns the card gets the fraud sorted out and the credit gets removed, you’re out of pocket, and it could affect future payments you make elsewhere.

As always, we’d advise that you never share your giffgaff account password with anyone else, and use a password you’ve not used for any other service. If you need, you can change your password in My giffgaff.

Unless you see these offers on giffgaff.com, they’re not legit - don’t fall for them.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask and I’ll drop in soon to respond.

Thanks,
Laura

giffgaff Fraud and Payments Manager
Message 1 of 111
by: z201205
on: 13/08/2018 | 12:17
What are Giffgaff doing about payforit scams? There are loads of posts in the community about them. There should be a way of blocking payforit texts.
Message 2 of 111
by: as7861
on: 13/08/2018 | 12:44 edited: 13/08/2018 | 13:06

Hi @z201205

Although not fully related to this, 

Scratch that, it was delayed my apologies

Hi @lauracarruthers

Welcome to the community! 

This is great to know about these, it is hard to control these scams as they pop up everywhere sometimes from another country. However,  some steps to report these scams to giffgaff would be great, maybe an email setup to report these scams. Something along the lines of phishing scams but I know giffgaff is working towards protecting us.

- Amer Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 111
by: figment_uk
on: 13/08/2018 | 12:53

@as7861

@as7861 wrote:

Hi @z201205

giffgaff from 9th August has implemented a feature for blocking incoming premium texts- https://giffgaff.com/call-services have a look Smiley Happy It's a partial solution but it step in the right direction Smiley Happy

Source - https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Editors/A-few-new-updates/gpm-p/22154810

Care to elaborate?   Nothing in my dashboard about blocking incoming premium texts.

blocking.png

NB. Posting links to the KB editors group is pointless, as only members of the group can use them.

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 4 of 111
by: as7861
on: 13/08/2018 | 12:59 edited: 13/08/2018 | 13:09

Hi @figment_uk

Note to self, remember to follow through the thread to find out for updates. My fault and make it easier to follow by putting content of thread of group in spoiler

- Amer Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 111
by: antonlg
community giff-staffer

on: 13/08/2018 | 13:06
Hiya @figment_uk, @as7861

We're working indeed on a feature that should allow members to block the incoming premium texts and calls. As the release was a bit delayed and we need a few more details, it wasn't publicly announced. But it will be a button on the same page that you got the screenshot from.
Message 6 of 111
by: oliverspooner
on: 13/08/2018 | 17:12

@lauracarruthers

Thanks for the heads-up though too late and too little's been done about that

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 111
by: ma2013
on: 13/08/2018 | 20:23
Hi Laura, welcome to the giffgaff forums. Thanks for the very handy tips, didn't realise the frauds had got so intricate! 😢🤔
If I've been helpful, feel free to award Kudos / Mark As Accepted Solution to posts. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 111
by: bornagain1
on: 13/08/2018 | 20:57
Thanks for the heads up.
Message 9 of 111
by: lorann
on: 13/08/2018 | 22:41
Thanks for this report - had no idea about these particular scams going round, but then I'm fully aware giffgaff is online only. Just put my 82 year old Mum onto giffgaff so will need to warn her of these.
Message 10 of 111