Started by: vespaash2
On: 03/08/2015 | 12:22
Replies: 2789

by: andythomas1234
on: 16/06/2016 | 11:47 edited: 16/06/2016 | 11:49

andythomas1234 wrote:

what about getting 3g first please before worrying about 4g

someones just kudos that original post from last year and now totals 32

giffgaff why has the situation not changed ? we are in the centre of plymouth my giffgaff sim is 2g my o2 sim repeat o2 sim is 4g in same place

lets have an answer why that is instead of sending me A4 sized personal messages because i miss read a payback and paypal thread

moderators respond please

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2782 of 2,790
by: navvy
on: 16/06/2016 | 22:02

@andythomas1234

That sounds intriguing, that you are only getting 2G in an area that generally has 4G and 3G, according to the coverage checker and the current network status - as well as your test with an O2 SIM.  (Did you try the O2 SIM in the same phone?)

I woud suggest that you order a spare SIM from http://giffgaff.com/orders/mgm and test it as an unactivated SIM in your phone.

An unactivated SIM should connect to the giffgaff network, and show signal bars.

When you dial *100# it should show "not active" and not any other error message.

The important bit - it should be able to use mobile data (4G, 3G, or 2G) to go to http://giffgaff.com as this is a free page and will work without any credit.  You should be able to log into your account, but you won't be able to use the community.giffgaff.com pages.

The large graphics images of phones should be enough to indicate whether 3G or 4G is working.

If the unactivated SIM does work on 4G and 3G, try doing a SIM swap to transfer your account onto the new SIM.  

SIM Swap is not possible overnight - the system is locked out from 21:30 to 04:30 so you need to leave it until the morning.

Make sure you are logged into your existing account.  

Go to http://giffgaff.com/profile/details and where it says Replace your SIM, click Open and then Activate your SIM.  

Enter the Activation Code (or the SIM serial number printed on the SIM itself if you've lost the outer card.)

Double-check the numbers on both the SIM and the activation code.

Confirm that you want to go ahead.  Confirm again on the next page.

The process should complete within about 20-30 minutes.  You can then reboot your phone and test whether 3G or 4G are still working.  Give it up to 24 hours just to be sure.

If they are no longer working, then you'll need to contact an agent using this form.  https://giffgaff.com/support/ask/mobile_internet_issues

Use the "any further information" text box to tell the agent that you tested that 4G worked on an unactivated SIM but stopped working when you used it for a SIM swap.

Please let us know what happens.

Message 2783 of 2,790
by: giffer23
on: 17/06/2016 | 06:05
Slow speeds is definitely something on what giffgaff needs to work to have more happy customer.
Message 2784 of 2,790
by: dangerman7uk
on: 17/06/2016 | 07:09
They don't want happy customers, they just want more money.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake.

I also love cake.
Message 2785 of 2,790
by: andythomas1234
on: 17/06/2016 | 08:13

navvy wrote:

@andythomas1234

That sounds intriguing, that you are only getting 2G in an area that generally has 4G and 3G, according to the coverage checker and the current network status - as well as your test with an O2 SIM.  (Did you try the O2 SIM in the same phone?)

I woud suggest that you order a spare SIM from http://giffgaff.com/orders/mgm and test it as an unactivated SIM in your phone.

An unactivated SIM should connect to the giffgaff network, and show signal bars.

When you dial *100# it should show "not active" and not any other error message.

The important bit - it should be able to use mobile data (4G, 3G, or 2G) to go to http://giffgaff.com as this is a free page and will work without any credit.  You should be able to log into your account, but you won't be able to use the community.giffgaff.com pages.

The large graphics images of phones should be enough to indicate whether 3G or 4G is working.

If the unactivated SIM does work on 4G and 3G, try doing a SIM swap to transfer your account onto the new SIM.  

SIM Swap is not possible overnight - the system is locked out from 21:30 to 04:30 so you need to leave it until the morning.

Make sure you are logged into your existing account.  

Go to http://giffgaff.com/profile/details and where it says Replace your SIM, click Open and then Activate your SIM.  

Enter the Activation Code (or the SIM serial number printed on the SIM itself if you've lost the outer card.)

Double-check the numbers on both the SIM and the activation code.

Confirm that you want to go ahead.  Confirm again on the next page.

The process should complete within about 20-30 minutes.  You can then reboot your phone and test whether 3G or 4G are still working.  Give it up to 24 hours just to be sure.

If they are no longer working, then you'll need to contact an agent using this form.  https://giffgaff.com/support/ask/mobile_internet_issues

Use the "any further information" text box to tell the agent that you tested that 4G worked on an unactivated SIM but stopped working when you used it for a SIM swap.

Please let us know what happens.

tried and done everything

guy over road is on giffgaff as well 2g at home

it is better 3g in certain parts of plymouth but 4g you're having a larf (not you personally !)

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2786 of 2,790
by: andyhurley
on: 17/06/2016 | 10:51

dangerman7uk wrote:

There is no reason that mobile networks can't replace WiFi. The only reason were told that is because they want us to buy both, and they want us to pay for things we don't need like landlines.

There is one very good reason, there isn't enough radio spectrum to go around. Sure, for some people in some places it can work as a very good substitute for broadband but if you scale it up to everyone switching over from fixed line broadband you will soon run out, especially in urban areas.

I read a report a decade or two ago about the move to cable TV from broadcast which made the same point before the internet and broadband were really considered a 'thing'. The report pointed out that the demand for more and more TV channels inevitably meant that broadcast TV would have to be phased out in favour or delivery over fixed lines which could handle the capacity. The radio spectrum thus freed up could them be used for mobile data applications where a fixed line is not an option. What the report did not take into account was the massive growth in streaming video but that just makes the case stronger, the more data people consume at home the less viable it is to use precious radio spectrum to deliver it. Keep the radio spectrum for mobile applications and fixed lines for everything else where possible.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 2787 of 2,790
by: dangerman7uk
on: 28/08/2016 | 11:28

@andyhurley  You could be right, I'm absolutely not an expert on these kind of things and when I try to google the information there isn't anything rock solid to go on.  I am probably wrong in saying that the mobile networks are powerful enough to take over standard broadband these days now as everyone watches TV though it and all that.  

However I maintain that giffgaff cut the internet allowances to make money, not to protect the service of their customers.  They have shown now that they have used the savings they've made to invest heavily in advertising campaigns and recruitment drives.  

If they really felt that their network was not upto the demand of their growth they should really be investing their millions and millions of annual profits on their mobile internet infastructure.  

The demand that giffgaff were under at the time that they made out that they were verging on collapse was nothing compared to what they could actually handle.  Hence why they are recruiting so hard, they are trying to take on more and more customers aren't they?  Proof is in the pudding.  

I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake.

I also love cake.
Message 2788 of 2,790
by: shamrock12
on: 24/09/2016 | 16:04
Extremely informative. Gave me all the answers I required!😉
Message 2789 of 2,790
by: nataliya84
on: 28/09/2016 | 17:42
Great news. Thanks so much
Message 2790 of 2,790