Community

Introducing our new 4G ready & tethering friendly goodybag range

Started by: vespaash2
On: 03/08/2015 | 12:22
Replies: 2789

by: ivinsp
on: 03/08/2015 | 13:02

@simonefaye78 wrote:
At first glance it all looks impressive. Good to see that 4g is available at no extra cost.

One question though, will payg data be 4g for 4g enabled phones as well or will it be 3g?

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learning-and-giffgaffer-articles/September-2015-Goodybag-update-Fr...

I don’t have a goodybag or a gigabag. Do I still get 4G?

Yes, absolutely. From 2nd September we will start the process of giving all pay as you go members access to 4G. Please bear with us as we work through everyone – there are a lot of you to get through! We expect all pay as you go members to be 4G ready by mid-October.

If I've been of help please click the STAR Smiley Happy
if your query is resolved please click "Set as best answer"

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 21 of 2,790
by: ray2
on: 03/08/2015 | 13:06
hi @vespaash2

thankyou for the update

overall it,s looking good,

my one question is if when you have used your massive 6gb data will you recieve a txt or something to say you can no longer tether as you have exceeded the 6gb limit??
thanks
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 22 of 2,790
by: rosiec
on: 03/08/2015 | 13:06
Really glad to see 4G for no extra cost and tethering accross the range. Looks a good range of goody bags to me.
Message 23 of 2,790
by: rosiec
on: 03/08/2015 | 13:08
I don't think they mean it will stop you tethering after 6G. It will just be very slow after 6G.
Message 24 of 2,790
by: rong42
on: 03/08/2015 | 13:09 edited: 04/08/2015 | 08:52

lots of things to get my head round. think a lot of people will be pleased to see 4G coming at no extra cost, and it simplifies the range of goodybags, but others wont be happy if data allowances are decreasing (e.g. from 3GB to 2GB at the £12 bag price point), and they dont care about 4G. for clarity, if you are using 3G bags currently, but will effectively be forced onto the new £12 bag  eventually. edit in italtics

how many people on the network are actually using 4G? how far as o2's roll out spread?

2nd edit:

yep, people not happy about loosing a GB on the £12 bag, and some saying they will leave giffgaff due to this. lots of posts highlighted in spoiler below, and I only looked at the first 150ish posts on this thread:

Click to reveal

Message 25 of 2,790
by: rong42
on: 03/08/2015 | 13:16

@rosiec wrote:
I don't think they mean it will stop you tethering after 6G. It will just be very slow after 6G.

from the KB article:

Can I tether with ‘Always On’?

That’s right. Always On offers 6GB of data at full speed to use as you wish, including tethering. After 6GB, you still have access to data until your goodybag expires, but your peak speeds will be reduced to 256kbps between the hours of 8am and midnight and it will no longer be possible to tether until the end of your goodybag validity period.  (my emphasis)

Message 26 of 2,790
by: cim
on: 03/08/2015 | 13:20

@rong42 wrote:

how many people on the network are actually using 4G? how far as o2's roll out spread?

My impression is O2 4G is available in the majority of towns these days but I find that sometimes coverage indoors and in marginal areas where it shows OK on the map but in practise falls back to 3G. But zoom in on the O2 checker to 3km scale and select 4g and you can get a feel for where it is just by panning around. 

Get a free Giffgaff SIM posted to you pronto
Message 27 of 2,790
by: gordie10
on: 03/08/2015 | 13:29

Okay - the reason I was going on about typos and terminology in my initial posts is because I'm hardly affected by these changes at all personally. As a non-goodybag user, with no 4G coverage and a phone where I can't access giffgaff's 4G frequency (so I'll still be restricted to 3G), the only potential change for me would be the increase in the access charge to some service numbers, except I wouldn't use giffgaff to call those anyway - I'd use my landline for that, where I have a zero access charge to those numbers.

So, looking at the bigger picture, the drops in data allowances for those currently on the £12 and £15 3G goodybags won't go down well if they have no access to 4G.

Also I'm not sure if these changes mean that, from September 2nd onwards, people won't be banned from buying unlimited data goodybags for "abusing" the network while on such a goodybag. If that isn't the case, then ignore this, but if it IS, that has to be a good thing, both for members (not having to suffer the bans any more) and for giffgaff (not having to issue them any more, and then endure the negative publicity this often generates on the forum and in social media).

Message 28 of 2,790
by: stevefrain
on: 03/08/2015 | 13:38
Can we sort out coverage for the likes of Whitchurch please
Message 29 of 2,790
by: scrappydez
on: 03/08/2015 | 13:43

Every time I make a new flyer giffgaff change the goodybags. I must improve my timings.

Get your SIM delivered today by 1st Class Post, yeah boy.
Message 30 of 2,790