This is great news for security purposes
Message 42 of 76
by: mountainstosea
on: 15/08/2019 | 15:55

Ah great, I always enable it when offered on email/dropbox/paypal

Message 43 of 76
by: o__o
on: 15/08/2019 | 16:26
That's great news, I hope everything works the way you guys intend it to Smiley Happy
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 44 of 76
by: junli91
on: 15/08/2019 | 17:55

Hi everyone,

I'm all for added security. However, I do have some concerns. Here's the scenario:

I have 2FA enabled on my email account. This means whenever I log into my email from a device OTHER than my smartphone, I have to use the authenticator app on my phone to allow access. I could also use my phone number for verification - again, on my smartphone.

Now, say my phone gets lost/stolen.

I can't get acccess to my email account from ANY device because I can't approve the sign-in request from my phone, via authenticator app or text, because I no longer have the device.

I also can't request a sim swap on giffgaff because I cannot verify the swap using the code I get sent to my email address or to my number via text.

What do I do now? I can't get access to my email OR phone number.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated!

Jun

Message 45 of 76
by: bornagain1
on: 15/08/2019 | 18:01
Set up your home pc/tablet/laptop as your main email device (that shouldn't go missing) admittadely you would then have to use 2FA everytime you wanted to access it from your mobile!
Message 46 of 76
by: bvbc
on: 15/08/2019 | 18:32
Very good news,
Message 47 of 76
by: andy69
on: 15/08/2019 | 19:06
@junli91
If you are talking about Gmail, then you can download codes that you can print out or save somewhere else. See https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-get-the-verification-code-for-Gmail
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 48 of 76
by: jaymailsays
on: 15/08/2019 | 21:10

@roxy_r Since you asked.

Can I clarify whether the verification code will be instead of or in addition to the warning communication, advising of an impending sim swap?

Just so we know on H&S.

Thanks

Jay

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 49 of 76
by: junli91
on: 15/08/2019 | 21:20

I use Outlook and Microsoft provide users with a recovery code to use incase they don't have access to any of their sign-in verification options (authenticator app, phone number, etc.).

I've printed out that recovery code in case I ever need it. I'd advise anyone else to do the same.

Also, the authentication app I use is Microsoft Authenticator. They recently pushed out an update to their iOS app where the user can make a cloud backup of their account. This means if you lose your device, you can download Microsoft Authenticator on a new iOS device and recover your accounts.

I have an Android device, so hopefully Microsoft push the cloud backup feature to their Play Store app soon!

Anyway, I'm happy to hear about giffgaff introducing multi-factor authentiation for procedures like Sim Swap. Makes me feel a lot better about the security of my account. Thank you guys!

Message 50 of 76