Community

Member name trial - Results and Next Steps

Started by: riaz7
On: 01/02/2018 | 08:59
Replies: 118

by: harrrrrry
on: 20/06/2018 | 10:00 edited: 20/06/2018 | 10:01

@riaz7

Not sure if you're aware, but @dez_d has some related information about the name toggling between two variants, depending on whether the member logs in using the app or through a browser.

Curiously, the name changes for everybody -- not just the member.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 91 of 119
by: riaz7
handy giff-staffer

on: 20/06/2018 | 10:02

harrrrrry wrote:

@riaz7

Not sure if you're aware, but @dez_d has some related information about the name toggling between two variants, depending on whether the member logs in using the app or through a browser.

Curiously, the name changes for everybody -- not just the member.

Ah yes, that has been a known issue since launch. Technical reason is that we keep a record of your membername history and the app is mistakenly using that historical name instead of the latest name. 

It's something the app team will be addressing.

Thanks,

Riaz

Message 92 of 119
by: the_islander
on: 21/06/2018 | 20:44
@riaz7 I was looking at how to activate a sim for a family member and backed out of it before paying for activation but I then received an email with the member name set up already.

Obviously this now means that this member name is unavailable for use and has become a wasted name as neither myself or my family member has any intention of using the account as it was simply a test run. (although may be used if I can convince them to join giffgaff but would want to be changed as it's based on my email address rather than there's).

But by being sent this it also made me wonder how does the new member go about changing the assigned name when they are ready to so. Is this done once a sim is activated on the account and before the member uses the community and is it an obvious prompt? Sorry for all the questions.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 93 of 119
handy giff-staffer

on: 21/06/2018 | 21:21

Hi @the_islander,

No problem! You could still use that membername by logging in with that membername after entering your 6 digit code in activation. But it's no big deal if you just create another account.

Once an account has been activated, if you head to an account related page like My giffgaff, you'll automatically get a fullscreen prompt asking you if you want to change your member name. 

Thanks,

Riaz

Message 94 of 119
by: the_islander
on: 21/06/2018 | 21:44
Thanks for the super quick answers @riaz7 sounds very simple, which is brill.

I've left my family member with the account details and sim and fingers crossed they'll make the right choice when their EE contract comes to an end.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 95 of 119
by: joannawaters48
on: 23/06/2018 | 19:04
super stuff thanks
Message 96 of 119
by: giffin
on: 25/06/2018 | 08:47

Good info for know..thanks

Message 97 of 119
by: hatee15
on: 27/06/2018 | 05:19
Great news! @riaz7 Look forward to existing members being able to change their usernames , keep up the good work 😄👍
Message 98 of 119
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 02/07/2018 | 12:52

Hi @riaz7 are we ever going to get the member name change be rolled out to all member new and existing?

The original topic and trial started in January 2018it is now July 2018 and so far only new members have the member name change option nothing for existing do we have to wait until 2019 or later for this to be implemented for existing members?

We have not been given a date and we have been kept up to date with the progress of this.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 99 of 119
Highlighted
handy giff-staffer

on: 02/07/2018 | 13:25

Hi @shabazmoqsud,

To allow existing members to change membernames was a complex piece of work, especially due to how these members have already interacted with things like Lithium and the app, which works differently to the mainsite.

As such, allowing existing members to change their membername isn't high up on the developers' list of things to do compared to other projects like new goodybags. 

Our data suggests that allowing existing members to change their membernames will only benefit a small number of existing members compared to these other projects, but if you think otherwise, do help raise the profile on it on the Community. We're always keeping an eye on it.

I know this isn't quite the reply you're hoping for and I hope you can see that there's nothing malicious going on here - we're just a relatively small company with a limited amount of developers. We have to balance what comes next with how much work it'd be and how many members will benefit.

Thanks,

Riaz

Message 100 of 119