Community

New Knowledge Manager @ giffgaff

Started by: chriskm
On: 20/01/2012 | 14:22
Replies: 75

by: chriskm
former giff-staffer

on: 20/01/2012 | 15:54

I hear you 'redux'.  Hopefully once I've got my head around things I can make an impact on the issue you mention with regards to redundant and incorrect answers.  

I think the focus to begin with needs to be making sure the useful information and the correct answers are highlighted, separated and people are directed towards them.  

Message 11 of 76
Highlighted
by: redux
on: 20/01/2012 | 16:18

@chriskm wrote:

I hear you 'redux'.  Hopefully once I've got my head around things I can make an impact on the issue you mention with regards to redundant and incorrect answers.  

I think the focus to begin with needs to be making sure the useful information and the correct answers are highlighted, separated and people are directed towards them.  

I'd go a bit further

The forum would be as useful, or actually more, if it had had only about a third of the posts on it so far, maybe even less, but of course that would be a bit tricky to reverse out of now, given the number overall

Quite a few of the cases are so generically common that ways of leading people to the right answers without necessarily even needing to  post should be made more efficient than just letting them ask and effectively someone else makes the effort for them

There are plenty of members here who seem to have a set of boilerplate answers they just paste in to anywhere it's relevant, and quite often to places where it's not.

If someone asks about the price of a certain call, plenty of people just post a shortened URL link to the pricing page. They don't bother to add that the OP should scroll to the bottom and expand a certain section, and they don't bother to point out how to find the page as easily via this site's own links at the top of the page.

Someone asks about unlocking a certain phone, they might get a reply with 4 or 5 links and comments if it's an iPhone, if it's an Android, if this or that. They apparently haven't even read the thread title, which includes the type of phone. Or maybe they have, but are just lazy.

It might even be possible for people cleverer than me to program scripts almost like spambots to post context-based posts like this automatically. God knows what the place would be like if that happens

I hoped that the advent of the educators team would have improved some of these aspects. Maybe they are too democratic and lenient and don't want to delete wrong answers, or maybe they are just alreadt overworked.

Someone linked back to your previous thread which was something about the next 5 years.

At the moment this place is growing by 10% a month, but not necessarily becoming more efficient at improving everyones knowledge. I looked at a thread earlier with 10 answers and all bar one were just guesses.

An interesting task. 

Message 12 of 76
by: chriskm
former giff-staffer

on: 20/01/2012 | 16:44 edited: 20/01/2012 | 20:04

Totally agree redux.  Ideally repeated questions shouldn't even get to the stage where they're posted.  Rest assured this is towards the top of my to-do list.

A standard objective of any KM program is to try to cut out re-invention of the wheel and there's definitely some of that happening in the forums currently.

It's worth highlighting that the thread you pointed out was very much focussed on the future and was intended to be blue sky thinking.  As you say, the company is growing at a crazy pace and there are definitely more fundamental things for KM to focus on first.   Let's get the basics right to start with Smiley Happy

<edit> apologies for the use of the phrase 'blue sky thinking'.  I was a little sick in my mouth when I re-read it Smiley Embarassed

Message 13 of 76
by: hamishlaw
on: 20/01/2012 | 17:04

A KM -whatever next ?

As far as I can tell if you have any knowledge in the giffgaff team you will stand out like a sore thumb. As for faciltatiion that sounds a bit rude to me so if ok with you can you not do it to me.

Enjoy whatever it is you are going to do and remember the key is to make sure everyone knows what you are meant to do but no-one knows if you are doing it Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 76
by: hazel22
former giff-staffer

on: 20/01/2012 | 17:07
Be nice Hamishlaw!
4th April 2011 - 5th June 2015
Message 15 of 76
on: 20/01/2012 | 17:14

@hazel22 wrote:
Be nice Hamishlaw!

Are you not on staycation yet ?

Believe me I am trying its just hard whiling away the hours until I get asked to be an Agent Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 76
by: jamesd2010
on: 20/01/2012 | 17:23

@hamishlaw wrote:

@hazel22 wrote:
Be nice Hamishlaw!

Are you not on staycation yet ?

Believe me I am trying its just hard whiling away the hours until I get asked to be an Agent Smiley Wink

Smiley Surprised Hamishlaw - Are you telling me you didn't read Hazel's post properly?! That's not like you! Smiley Surprised Smiley Tongue. Hazel is working all weekend, then staycation.

Message 17 of 76
on: 20/01/2012 | 17:30

Smiley Surprised Hamishlaw - Are you telling me you didn't read Hazel's post properly?! That's not like you! Smiley Surprised Smiley Tongue. Hazel is working all weekend, then staycation.

C'mon James wake up and smell the coffee! Yeah working at home all weekend - where have I heard that before. Smiley Surprised

Hazel will be tucked up in her onsie under the duvet dreaming of the young boys in One Direction asking if she can help them port a number to giffgaff Smiley Wink Working indeed next you wil be telling me you believe that agents respond in 24/48 hours and that the Toothfairy is not real Smiley Embarassed

Message 18 of 76
by: hazel22
former giff-staffer

on: 20/01/2012 | 17:33

Hi guys - you can continue that conversation here - but please let us get this one back on topic for Chris Smiley Happy

4th April 2011 - 5th June 2015
Message 19 of 76
by: drlatheef
on: 20/01/2012 | 17:41
Hi there Chris,

A very warm welcome to the Giffgaff community, that was a really engaging and funny post and I hope you succeed in every one your roles and responsibilities in a unique and fantastic network operater. Hope you make a hugely positive impact into this community Smiley Happy
Message 20 of 76