Welcome to giffgaff - thanks for popping by the community! A few tips to get you started:
1) How to get help: The quickest to get help is via 'Knowledge Base' and 'Help & Support'.
- Knowledge Base: Start here - there is a search box where you can enter your question and it will search all the giffgaff answers (FAQs) and bring back any community posts as well - it's likely your question has already been asked and answered before, so you'll get an instant answer back - saving you time.
Also handy guides like the Getting started guide.
- Help & Support: If your quick search first doesn't bring back the answer you want pop your question in Help & Support you'll get a quick response back from one of our members (most questions answered within 5 minutes, 95% within an hour).
Once your question has been answered, please remember to mark the most helpful answer as 'Best Asnwer', this lets everyone know you're sorted and gives extra points to the member who helped you the most.
- Ask an agent: For private and personal questions only. Obviously you don't want to publish your private account information on the public internet - so when you have a question where you need to supply private account details (ie your billing address, phone number, credit card details, top-up voucher number etc) you can ask one of our giffgaff member agents here. You'll received a response typically within 24 hours - any messages from an agent can be found under your Private Messages.
Please note: They're a small team and can only answer private/ personal questions, if you ask a question that isn't of a private nature - you'll be re-directed to ask your question within the community. You'll receive
For more info, head to the 'How to get help' post for a quick overview.
2) Helping out / earning payback: Help us out and we'll reward you for your effort. Help giffgaff grow by introducing friends to giffgaff or by helping other stuck members within the community. For more info about payback head to the 'Guide to payback points' post.
3) The Community: Take a look around the community, you'll notice questions needing immediate help are posted in 'Help & Support', there are other sections where members are getting tips and info, discussing new ideas and submitting ideas for review. A little note on the ranking names, if you're new, you'll have a 'Newbie giffgaffer' rank name and giffgaff staff are identified by a little 'gg' next to their member name.
4) FAQ's: a couple of questions that get asked a lot:
- Activating your SIM: Activating your SIM is pretty straight forward. Enter the 6 digit code here.
- Activation time: Once you go through the activation process, it typically takes 5-30 minutes for giffgaff to process things our end and get your new number on the network. If you're activating your phone after 10pm it'll activate the next morning.
- Settings: The settings are typically sent to your phone automatically, if they haven't text 'settings' to 2020. Some phones (like the iPhone, blackberry etc) need a little more help, head to 'Knowledge Base' for individual setting information (enter your phone model name in the search box).
- Your new giffgaff number: Once you've activated, you can find your new mobile number and other account details under My Giffgaff
- Keeping your old number: head to giffgaff answers 'Keep your number'
- Topping up: for info about how to top-up and making topping easier with auto top-up, check this giffgaff answer 'How to top-Up'
- checking your balance: super easy dial *100# for airtime credit balance and *100*7# for goodybag balance, more details here on the 'how do I check my balance' FAQ
Righto - that'll do for now - hope to see you round here more often!
I have attached a link which would be beneficial to any newbies who may have some questions: -
I hope this clarifies any questions but do not hesitate to contact anybody on the forum
At the moment if you just top-up with credit, you can access the internet for free with a fair use policy of 100MB per day. This promotional offer now expires on 1st December 2010, after which you will be charged from your available credit at a rate of 50p if you use between 2.5MB and 30MB in one day. If you exceed 30MB you will be charged at a rate of 20p per additional MB.
With a (£10, £15 or £35) goodybag , unlimited Internet remains inclusive even after 1st December and it's really unlimited, there is no fair use policy.
The home page says the internet will be free until 1st December NOT 1st October. Please clarify this - Mike
Free Mobile Internet:
You lucky giffgaff pioneers can even enjoy free UK mobile Internet up to the 1st of December 2010. After that date, mobile Internet will be charged at 50p a day (if you use less than 2.5MB/day you'll pay less than 50p and if you go over 30MB you'll be charged extra at 20p/MB). But all our goodybags that include unlimited Internet will continue including unlimited Internet after the 1st of December.
Of course the home page says this, my post was in august when the offer originally said it expired on 1st October. Therefore take what it says on the homepage as gospel but understand that there will be posts that say things on the forum that will later become outdated by events I have edited my previous post with the new date to avoid confusing new joiners who might not be aware of the previous terms of the promotion
The home page says the internet will be free until 1st March 2011
1st DecemberNOT 1st October. Please clarify this - Mike
Free Mobile Internet:
You lucky giffgaff pioneers can even enjoy free UK mobile Internet up to the 1st of March 2011. After that date, mobile Internet will be charged at 50p a day (if you use less than 2.5MB/day you'll pay less than 50p and if you go over 30MB you'll be charged extra at 20p/MB). But all our goodybags that include unlimited Internet will continue including unlimited Internet after the 1st of March.
As it says currently they have not got in place the method of charging for internet use. Therefore up until 1st March 2011 internet use up to limit of 100Mb per day is free.
After that date on pay as you use tarrif there is a sliding price bandup to a maximum of 50p per day.
However most people that want to use lots of data are buying goodybags which will allow you to use truely unlimited internet on your phone inclusive of your goodybag. These goodybags will continue to be available and will continue to be unlimited even after the 1st March deadline.
As said that date refers only to pay as you use internet charging.
Post editted on 19th Nov 2010 - inline with latest extension to free internet to end of Feb 2011.