Started by: riaz7
On: 01/11/2018 | 16:10
Replies: 45

Highlighted
by: riaz7
handy giff-staffer

on: 01/11/2018 | 16:10

Hi everyone,

A little while ago, we let you know that we were doing a few tests with PayPal when you activate a SIM card. 

As you might remember, the reason we were doing this experiment was because we’d seen that members who were activating with PayPal were having a poor experience.

What the trial results show is that of the people who chose PayPal during activation, a high number of members got lost during the PayPal journey and didn’t manage to complete their activation.

Working closely with PayPal, we set up a trial to see if not having PayPal as an activation option would result in fewer people struggling to activate.

When we removed PayPal from the activation flow, we ended up seeing more successful activations, not less as we had expected. In short, when we first implemented PayPal, we thought it would improve the joining experience, but it turns out from this trial, it doesn’t.

Because of this, starting on Monday, 12th November, 2018 we’ll be removing PayPal from the activation journey. From the results of our experiment, we’re confident that this will mean that more members have a smoother time joining giffgaff.

Knowing this was quite a popular idea, we will do our best to bring this to life in a way that benefits our members. So, we’re going to continue to work with PayPal on the experience of using PayPal in general.

PayPal will still be available after you’ve activated a SIM card, so you’ll be able to continue to use PayPal if you currently use it today.

I’m sure you’ll have some questions, so I’ll keep an eye on the thread and respond as much as I can.

Thanks,

Riaz

Message 1 of 46
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 01/11/2018 | 16:16

@riaz7 

Thanks for the update , i suppose it shows although a great idea its not allways the best option 

Message 2 of 46
by: gwpreston
on: 01/11/2018 | 16:21
@riaz7
Many thanks for your update I will be following it closely to see the final outcome 👍
Message 3 of 46
by: pauljohn7
on: 01/11/2018 | 16:47 edited: 01/11/2018 | 16:50

@riaz7

Thanks for the update on this option.

Its important that potential members have a trouble free Activation as possible.  If the Paypal Activation fails, they are likely to try a second time using Paypal.  If they have problems the second time, there is a high chance they will give up and not attempt to Activate using a different payment method.

It's good that you are keeping Paypal as a method of buying top-up / goodybags

'Looking for a FREE giffgaff SIM Card Posted Same Day? Click Here! Get a free giffgaff SIM with £5 Extra Credit Get a free giffgaff SIM     mobileview
Message 4 of 46
by: team_leader
on: 01/11/2018 | 16:51

Thanks for the update @riaz7 no point in scaring away new customers.

I usually do top-up via PayPal and at times doesn't go smoothly so I understand.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 46
by: brulaw
on: 01/11/2018 | 16:53

@riaz7

Thank you for the update / info  , it's good to know that the removal of PayPal  from the  activation process won't affect those who are already using it  , hopefully the ongoing work with PayPal will help to find a smoother way of including it during activation in the future . 

Message 6 of 46
by: figment_uk
on: 01/11/2018 | 16:57 edited: 01/11/2018 | 16:58

@riaz7

Do you have any data indicating why so many did not complete the activation journey using PayPal?

Would it be because of the insistance by giffgaff that a continuous payment authority was required, with members bailing out when confronted by the lengthy and somewhat startling message advising them of all the information they were required to consent to sharing? 

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 7 of 46
by: jokeyboi77
on: 01/11/2018 | 17:52

That's ashame @riaz7 because I thought it would've been easier because I've never had a problem with PayPal when buying my goodybag but I can understand why it's been pulled. 

But I share Figment's view that it could've been down to the intrusive message about the information required to share, hopefully it'll be back as an activation option but can't see it.

Message 8 of 46
by: giffgaff20147
on: 01/11/2018 | 19:17

@riaz7

Thanks shame it was not working correctly 

Message 9 of 46
by: davidvarley
on: 01/11/2018 | 19:20
Good cause its the only way I want and others want to top up giffgaff with as its more secure than adding a debit card to Giffgaff.
Message 10 of 46