on: 13/08/2019 | 17:16

@vespaash2  Great I will try to pop in if I have time 👍🏻

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 12 of 50
by: maverick77_uk
on: 13/08/2019 | 17:21 edited: 13/08/2019 | 17:33

@vespaash2 

Great idea. Will definitely try and make it. In case I don't, my question is:

With 5g, the world of mobile Internet is changing, and is now being marketed as a practical replacement for home broadband. This is all great, however giffgaff currently blocks (as it is O2 based) some Internet ports, that would stop it being able to be a home replacement. For example Steam (the biggest pc game digital retailer) is blocked. This may well restrict giffgaff in this future (massive) market. Are there any plans to allow giffgaff to be a fully functional Internet provider going forward, to allow it to compete directly with the likes of 3 and EE in the mobile home Internet arena? Ie turn off these blocks which are from the bygone era of data restrictions, which is also doubly void as giffgaff no longer has unlimited data (which was a fantastic move by the way, as it stopped the 1% abusing the service). 

Fantastic provider by the way. Keep it up! 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 13 of 50
by: p33t3r
on: 13/08/2019 | 17:25

I'm not available on Wednesday either, but we have been dealing with a number of people who have had scam texts. Some people are wise to this and some have been seriously inconvenienced. My question is, when issues like this arise why isn't a global warning sent out by text. Not everyone reads the board online or knows how to respond. This shows a duty of care. There may well be a case for rethinking the policy on warnings to cover everyone

Message 14 of 50
by: chand311
on: 13/08/2019 | 17:37

I might not be able to participate but my question, 

1. Sim activation through PayPal.

2. Minimum top up voucher value £6. 

Message 15 of 50
by: chand311
on: 13/08/2019 | 17:40

I might not be able to participate but my question, 

1. Sim activation through PayPal.

2. Revert £5 goodybag back because voucher top-up value is still £5.

Message 16 of 50
by: woodyuk
on: 13/08/2019 | 18:31

I'll be travelling tommorow evening so will also ask my 2 part question now which relates to your recent announcement about the £1.4m fine handed to giffgaff by Ofcom.

1,in your announcement,why was there no mention of the secondary £50,000 fine because giffgaff failed to provide accurate information in response to two Ofcom information requests during the course of their investigation?

2,how did we arrive at a situation where in the whole of giffgaff HQ at that time there wasn't a single member of staff who had the knowledge and ability to fully understand Ofcom's requirements and to supply them with full and accurate data to meet those requirements?

Message 17 of 50
by: persco
on: 13/08/2019 | 18:37

Great opportunity, thanks Ash. Getting mine in early

I have a few regarding smishing and the fraud sim swap epidemic;

• Has giffgaff had a data breach?
  • When is giffgaff going to get a grip of this smishing epidemic with the scammers spoofing giffgaff network numbers/shortcodes?
  • How are these scammers doing this?
  • What is giffgaff doing to stop this and protect its members network-level?

Would be nice to get some deeper understanding. I am aware this is a sensitive area to discuss openly security wise but a broader policy being considered or that has been put in place could be be shared for assurance. 

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 18 of 50
by: t_will
community giff-staffer

on: 13/08/2019 | 19:00

@persco wrote:

• When is giffgaff going to get a grip of this smishing epidemic with the scammers spoofing giffgaff network numbers/shortcodes?

Would be nice to get some deeper understanding. I am aware this is a sensitive area to discuss openly security wise but a broader policy being considered or that has been put in place could be be shared for assurance. 

I'll let Ash answer this in more detail tomorrow, but given the subject matter wanted to clarify so people don't worry.

The important thing to note is that these people are not using giffgaff systems to operate the scam. They pretend to be giffgaff - their sites look a lot like ours, and it can be very convincing when they spoof a giffgaff number when sending a text - but they don't use our infrastructure to do so. They rely on tricking people into giving away their information rather than breaching a system to get it.

You're right that we might not be able to discuss too much in detail the measures that we're taking, because we don't want to clue the scammers into what we're doing so that they can get around it, but I'm sure Ash will give as much detail as he can.

giffgaff community staffer - let me know if you want to chat about anything.
You can send me a message and we'll get rolling. Need a topic? Try here.
Message 19 of 50
by: persco
on: 13/08/2019 | 19:08

@t_willwrote:

@perscowrote:

I'll let Ash answer this in more detail tomorrow, but given the subject matter wanted to clarify so people don't worry.

The important thing to note is that these people are not using giffgaff systems to operate the scam. They pretend to be giffgaff - their sites look a lot like ours, and it can be very convincing when they spoof a giffgaff number when sending a text - but they don't use our infrastructure to do so. They rely on tricking people into giving away their information rather than breaching a system to get it.

You're right that we might not be able to discuss too much in detail the measures that we're taking, because we don't want to clue the scammers into what we're doing so that they can get around it, but I'm sure Ash will give as much detail as he can.

Hi @t_will I didn’t mean the bogus website that members are directed to per se as it’s well known these sites aren’t giffgaffs. I meant the use of giffgaff network numbers/shortcodes (like 43430) to push out these texts in some instances. 

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 20 of 50