Community

Recycling phone numbers @ giffgaff - Reminder

Started by: timo_t
On: 13/05/2013 | 09:42
Replies: 33

by: timo_t
former giff-staffer

on: 13/05/2013 | 09:42

Hey there giffgaffers. Hope everybody is having a pleasant start to the week. 

I just wanted to put up a quick reminder about Gope's blog post from about a month ago relating to number recycling and the need to disconnect numbers that have been inactive for 6 months or longer. Here's a link in case you missed it the first time around: Recycling phone numbers @ giffgaff 

So, just to recap, please do one or more of the following once every six months and you'll never have to worry about your  number getting recycled:

• Make a least one call, SMS or MMS to another number (for technical reasons, emergency calls (i.e. 999/112) and SMSes/calls to giffgaff services (i.e. 2020, 43430) do not apply)
  • Make at least one connection to the internet
  • Receive at least 4 calls of more than 10 seconds
  • Make a least one topup/purchase (credit or goodybag)
  • Receive Payback points (for recruiting new members or participating in the community)

Easy peasy. We'll be sending out e-mails/SMSs directly to anyone impacted before we take any action, so if you see people asking questions or wondering about the message, please lend them a helping hand and point them to the blog. 

Much appreciated.  Have great Monday. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Timo

Message 1 of 34
by: kbates
on: 13/05/2013 | 09:46
Thanks timo for the information Smiley Happy
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 34
by: noelbell
on: 13/05/2013 | 10:26

Thanks Timo - Useful info.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 34
by: theboy
on: 13/05/2013 | 11:14
Does that mean receiving SMS messages is now not enough to stop the number being recycled?
Message 4 of 34
former giff-staffer

on: 13/05/2013 | 11:26

@theboy wrote:
Does that mean receiving SMS messages is now not enough to stop the number being recycled?

Yep, that's correct. For SMS alone there needs to be outbound activity to remain active. 

Message 5 of 34
by: tbdata1
on: 13/05/2013 | 11:36
"Connecting to Internet" I assume means connecting, and actually using enough data for it to register. ie, chargable?

I frequently turn on one of my MiFi (the one I use as a spare) to check the battery is OK, and that the SIM is still registered, so it "connects to internet", but I don't fire up any devices that would then use data. I take it this is not enough?

Thanks for any clarity Smiley Happy

Additionally, as its likely I'd miss any SMS you send, you will also send via email?
Message 6 of 34
by: hammis
on: 13/05/2013 | 13:48
"Make at least one connection to the internet"

Does that include connections over a local WiFi network?
Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 7 of 34
by: anth006
on: 13/05/2013 | 14:02

@hammis wrote:
"Make at least one connection to the internet"

Does that include connections over a local WiFi network?

Sorry no. It has to be mobile internet.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 34
by: akamonobrow4
on: 14/05/2013 | 14:29

yikes, thanks for the reminder!

Message 9 of 34
former giff-staffer

on: 16/05/2013 | 08:06 edited: 16/05/2013 | 08:07

@tbdata1 wrote:
"Connecting to Internet" I assume means connecting, and actually using enough data for it to register. ie, chargable?

I frequently turn on one of my MiFi (the one I use as a spare) to check the battery is OK, and that the SIM is still registered, so it "connects to internet", but I don't fire up any devices that would then use data. I take it this is not enough?

Thanks for any clarity Smiley Happy

Additionally, as its likely I'd miss any SMS you send, you will also send via email?

Hey there. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, just wanted to make sure I had the right info to share. Smiley Happy

So, the data connection needs to be one where, well, data is received. It depends on the device if a 'connected to the Internet' status actually pulls down any information but a single website page load should do it. It really is a tiny amount but it needs this to register as activity.

Also, yep, we send out both SMS and e-mails. The e-mail will be the one you have registered on the site so now's a good time to make sure it's up to date and correct. Smiley Happy 

Hope this helps.

Message 10 of 34