Roam Like At Home - a giffgaffers heads-up

Started by: gary_1989
On: 20/04/2017 | 14:29
Replies: 180

by: gary_1989
handy giff-staffer

on: 20/04/2017 | 14:29 edited: 19/05/2017 | 12:17

Hi everyone

Over the last few months, you may have heard bits and bobs in the press about some new EU roaming regulations coming this summer. It’s still a couple of months away, but we just wanted to give you some more info about what’s coming, and what it all means for giffgaffers like you.

What’s this all about?

From 15th June 2017, all networks in the EU (and a few other European countries) will be required to offer “Roam Like At Home” services to their customers, or in our case, members. This means that when you buy a contract or tariff in the UK, you can go abroad to the EU and use your phone at no extra cost.

What will it mean for giffgaffers?

You can sleep easy knowing that giffgaff will be good to go with “Roam Like At Home” come June. We’re still working through the exact details, but our aim is to keep things simple and easy for all our members, with goodybags that work in the EU just like they do at home, and make holidaying hassle free. Woohoo.

What happens next?

As I say, there are still some particulars for us to work through, but we’ll drop in again with more details and the full plan as we get closer to June. We will also call for your assistance at some stage, to help us anticipate ways giffgaff could be targeted for dodgy usage and abuse. Again, more details soon.

Update, May 19th 2017 - we've got that update now, as a new announcement. Check it out.

I hope that served as a useful heads-up. We’ll get everything ready for June, so those summer holidays become that bit easier with giffgaff. Keep an eye on the announcements section as we continue to share info. In the meantime, questions and comments are welcome below.

Thanks all

Gary

giffgaff Product Owner
Message 1 of 181
by: cim
on: 20/04/2017 | 15:05

Thanks for the update, good news for many roamers.

Hopefully the roaming regs. will remain in place after the UK leaves the EU Smiley Wink

Get a free Giffgaff SIM posted to you pronto
Message 2 of 181
by: kathleen414
on: 20/04/2017 | 15:09

whooo @gary_1989 

its been a long time coming but its fab to here its nearly upon us , i think will really help giffgaff bring more new members

Message 3 of 181
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 20/04/2017 | 15:13

Hello Gary @gary_1989

Thats great news mate thanks for the heads up, i am away to Cyprus in June so hopefully it's all up and running so I can test and give feedback 

green v3.pngorange gameplan v4.pngblue v3.pngH&S Banner.png
Message 4 of 181
by: kevincunno
on: 20/04/2017 | 16:25

Hi @gary_1989 that is absolutely fantastic news for our members who like holidays abroad 

it will make things so easier for them hassle free more time to enjoy there breaks away from home 

Get a free giffgaff Simdon't judge my path if you haven't walk my journey kevin
Message 5 of 181
by: persco
on: 20/04/2017 | 16:30

Excellent news! My mate had a text from Vodafone about this and was wondering what giffgaff are doing.

Good news! 

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 181
by: brulaw
on: 20/04/2017 | 16:40

@gary_1989

Thanks for the " early warning " / information  , this  development will be much appreciated  by those who travel a lot ( and those who holiday )   in the EU .

Message 8 of 181
by: ijustcantdoit
on: 20/04/2017 | 16:45

@Hey @gary_1989 @brulaw@persco@pault1974@kevincunno @bluemoonbaz @kathleen414

Cool  seen lots of posts asking for this so its gonna be well recieved

“Welcome
Message 9 of 181
by: lemon444
on: 20/04/2017 | 17:16
That's really excellent news. I'd seen news reports about the EU changes, but hadn't realised we were so close to the inception date.

Now I've got to find my snorkel and beach towel! Smiley Happy
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 181