Community

Take your goodybag on holiday with inclusive EU roaming

Started by: steverjames
On: 19/05/2017 | 11:17
Replies: 1909

by: steverjames
on: 19/05/2017 | 11:17

Hello everyone

Great news for goodybags - from 14th June, our members will be able to roam into the EU and use their goodybag allowances as they do in the UK. This post will get you up to speed with how this works and what it all means.

The European Commission is rolling out new regulation, aptly named "Roam Like at Home", which we believe will make a fantastic difference to giffgaffers when holidaying or taking a trip to other places in the EU.

So, from 14th June, the minutes, texts and data that come with your goodybag will work in the following destinations:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Martinique, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Reunion Islands, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Vatican City

This will come at no extra cost, apart from on the £20 Always On goodybag where there will be a small charge of £0.0078 per mb after you’ve used 6GB (charge only when using data in the places listed above).

We want to give the best roam like at home experience we can, and having this small charge for EU roaming after 6GB on Always On, protects giffgaff from potential abuse, and means there will be no price increases for any of our goodybags.

Your new roaming allowance will automatically kick-in on 14th June, providing you meet the basic eligibility checks. The checks are to ensure you are a genuine giffgaff member – someone who typically lives in the UK, but may take trips to other EU countries from time to time. We'll make things easy by looking for some sort of UK usage in the last couple of months, and then turning on the EU roaming allowance for you. Looks like 99% of all giffgaffers with goodybags will be eligible without having to lift a finger, but there will plenty of support and advice around what to do if you have any problems.

We've pulled together an FAQ below to hopefully answer any common questions and provide more detail to anyone interested.

That's about it for now. We'd love to hear any plans you have for holidays from June 14th. Bring on the summer.

Steve

FAQs (click to view)

Spoiler

When is it happening?

The changes will go live on Wednesday 14th June. Just in time for summer holidays.

Do I need to do anything?

Providing you’ve shown signs of life in the UK recently, you’ll automatically be entitled to inclusive EU roaming with your goodybag. From 14th June you'll be able to check your status in your account settings, where there will also be advice about what to do if you experience any problems.

Does this include gigabags too?

Yes it does. You can use your full gigabag data allowance in the EU.

My next goodybag starts sometime after 14th June, does that matter?

No, the change is not tied into when goodybags start or expire. Providing you meet the basic eligibility checks, the inclusive roaming will kick in on 14th June no matter how far into your goodybag you are.

What if I don’t have a goodybag?

If you prefer to roll without a goodybag, then you can continue using our pay as you go rates while in the EU. The charges will be the same as they are in the UK.

Are there restrictions or fair use guidelines?

Including EU roaming at no extra cost is great news for members, and we’re excited about how it will make holidaying easier with giffgaff. However, we need to be mindful of the potential for abuse and have some checks in place to safeguard giffgaff and all our genuine members.

The inclusive EU roaming is intended for members who typically reside in the UK, but may go on trips to the EU from time to time. It is not intended for people to start using giffgaff in any other country, without ever planning on coming to the UK, simply because it beats their local rates. If people do end up doing that we'll have to put some restrictions in place for them.

Are there any extra charges?

Your goodybag will work in the EU like it does in the UK, with no additional charges apart from those on the £20 Always On goodybag, where after 6GB of data has been used, there will be a charge of £0.0078 per mb in the EU.

This charge allows us to provide the best roaming experience we can, without having to increase any of our goodybag prices. The charge is in place to protect giffgaff from potential abuse.

All the things normally included and not included in your goodybag will be the same wherever you are in the EU. The charges once you’ve used your allowance are the same, and you’ll still be able to start your next goodybag early if you wish.

What destinations are included?

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Martinique, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Reunion Islands, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Vatican City

Are there any destinations changing from their current roaming zone?

From 14th June, Switzerland, Monaco, Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man will move to our “Rest of World” roaming zone, and charged £1/min to make and receive calls, 30p/text and 20p/mb. We'll be reaching out to the people who have been to these places recently, to let them know about the change in advance.

Any call or text from the EU to a country outside of the EU, will cost £1/min and 30p/text.

Message 1 of 1,910
by: mark1101b
on: 19/05/2017 | 11:23

Planes graphics

That's Great news for members @steverjames

Message 2 of 1,910
by: magspider
on: 19/05/2017 | 11:36

The news we've all been waiting for.

Huzzah!

[ No spiders were harmed in the making of this post ]

Join giffgaff, get £5 free bonus credit
Message 3 of 1,910
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 19/05/2017 | 11:45 edited: 18/07/2017 | 22:31

@steverjames 

This is great news and I am away in June so I will road test it 👌

update here is my finding giffgaff roaming/ calls and texts in cyprus

giffgaff-roaming-calls-and-texts-in-cyprus-with-goodybag

For a Free 3 in 1 sim with Free £5 on activation Click this link 
Message 4 of 1,910
by: endorphin
on: 19/05/2017 | 12:27

Thanks for the update - it will help a lot knowing how it's going to work.

Shame that the Channel Islands and the IoM will be charged as rest of the world though. I can see that creating some discontent!

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 5 of 1,910
by: samrhodes90
on: 19/05/2017 | 12:39

Fantastic news! That makes GiffGaff truly the best SIM only network now. Congratulations.

Message 6 of 1,910
by: washfreeze
on: 19/05/2017 | 12:39

Very good news. I'm  in Spain at present.

Message 7 of 1,910
by: tabiwh
on: 19/05/2017 | 12:41

This is amazing news, I'm so excited!!

Does this change how much it costs if I were to phone or text an EU number from my UK giffgaff phone as well or will that stay the same as it is now?

Message 8 of 1,910
by: bigal156
on: 19/05/2017 | 12:48
Will the Canary Islands be classed as Spain for roaming in the EU?
Message 9 of 1,910
by: madsch
on: 19/05/2017 | 12:52
Your best news yet!!!!!
Message 10 of 1,910