Community

Unlimited Mobile Internet: We need your feedback

Started by: vincent
On: 06/02/2012 | 13:31
Replies: 3267

Highlighted
by: neil40
on: 06/02/2012 | 13:44
I think a fup is perfectly ok if set at a high level - say 10gb.
99% of users will not go near that on a phone.If somone reaches the fup,their use could be restricted until the next goodybag starts.This would still be excellent value for money while protecting the network from abuse.

Neil
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 11 of 3,268
by: usmanozzy786
on: 06/02/2012 | 13:45
WHAT I WOULD SUGGEST IS THAT DONT MAKE ANY CHANGES TO THE GOODYBAG WHICH INVOLVES UNLIMITED INTERNET LEAVE IT HOW IT IS, GIFFGAFF SHOULD FIND OUT PEOPLE WHO DOWNLOAD MOVIES THOSE ONLY PEOPLE SHOULD EITHER GET LESS INTERNET BANDWIDTH OR DO SOMETHING ELSE BUT IF YOU LIMIT INTERNET ON GOODYBAGS THEN THAT WOULD NOT BE FAIR ON OTHER PEOPLE.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 12 of 3,268
by: craig_t
former giff-staffer

on: 06/02/2012 | 13:50

@emilina wrote:
In my eyes the amendments to the t&c's about HOW the unlimited data can be used is enough.

Most of the problem we have on the forum is the OP saying "but it doesn't say in the t&c's", we can't exactly argue against that point at present.

The problem now is what is considered 'excessive'? Would you give definite limits on this?

Hi emilina,

People looking to the terms and conditions for things to clarify absolutely everything, are probably in effect looking for a precise fair useage policy. In reality, it's very hard to find one like that (saying everything that can and can't be done, and what happens in each case) on any network in all honesty. I know - I've looked!

This is where we're trying to be different - giving people the responsibility of using their mobile internet the way they want, but at the same time hoping that people can understand that there has to be a middle way where everyone can benefit without impacting each other.

So - this is where it comes down to the choices Vincent's outlined above.

If we give definite limits on "excessive", then this by nature immediately restricts people from what they can actually do.

Which is something we don't really want to do. I hope that makes sense.

--craig

-Into The West-

Play League of Legends free
Message 13 of 3,268
by: cheepnetwork
on: 06/02/2012 | 13:52
The best option is to put an fup in that way people know we're the red line is
a href="http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/cheepnetwork" target="_blank">Get a free giffgaff Sim

!st class sims/micro/nano avalible on request please PM
Message 14 of 3,268
by: dpsa2422
on: 06/02/2012 | 13:52

I have an idea.

Why doesnt giffgaff stop lieing about unlimited usage and set limits. You guys are no better than the likes of t-mobile. Suspending a service which someone has paid for is terrible business practice and very unethical.

Also if three can handle it giffgaff/o2 can. Or is it purely about a profit basis here? aka greedy execs.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 15 of 3,268
by: antraf1982
on: 06/02/2012 | 13:53

Having had someone today asking if they can stream 5-7GB per day I think it is crucial that we get a nominated figure that people can baseline their usage on.

This doesn't mean people need to be auto-blocked for reaching this figure so the out of behaviour spikes can still be allowed.  but at least people know the point that they "risk" breaching.

My preferred solution would be a staged warning process to include throttling.  Customers can't complain internet is unlimited if they aren't cut off, but they would be hard pressed to stream with a 100kbps connection.  I appreciate this may not be technically possible at the moment but should be investigated for the future.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 16 of 3,268
by: syorksdeano
on: 06/02/2012 | 13:54
How about an option 3 where giffgaff name and shame the users at a special meeting.....then we can chase them down the road with pitch forks and burning effigies of them
`Please give me kudos if my reply was helpful.'

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 17 of 3,268
by: srichards

You have been reading a lot :-)

Seems to me there is the issue of transparency. If only the 1% is affected then everyone thinks that is ok until they get the bar!

Option 1 is fine but there needs to be some clarification on quantity and purpose. If you bar for abuse or 'affecting the network' I think you need to be explicit on what this 'affecting the network' is precisely.

A clearly written abuse policy ie what you have to do to get barred eg streaming for x hours for x days, tethering, downloading more than your phone will hold repeatedly.

You can deal with people in private but it won't always stay private? They'll be on here moaning about being barred from an unlimited service Smiley Happy

I think option one but with a clearer abuse policy. The 'affecting the network' is a bit too woolly.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 18 of 3,268
by: antraf1982

@dpsa2422 wrote:

I have an idea.

Why doesnt giffgaff stop lieing about unlimited usage and set limits. You guys are no better than the likes of t-mobile. Suspending a service which someone has paid for is terrible business practice and very unethical.

Also if three can handle it giffgaff/o2 can. Or is it purely about a profit basis here? aka greedy execs.

If you can't make a fair, reasoned and polite point then don't bother.  This is giffgaff seeking our views not somewhere to come and make a meaningless rant.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 19 of 3,268
by: bonusball
on: 06/02/2012 | 13:56

All heavy users should be given a strict warning if their usage continues then just ban them from using Internet.

Message 20 of 3,268