Community

Unlimited Mobile Internet: We need your feedback

Started by: vincent
On: 06/02/2012 | 13:31
Replies: 3267

by: cheepnetwork
on: 06/02/2012 | 13:57

@stanj028 wrote:
Hmm I know it could be a cost to the company but this 1% possibly equates to a few thousand customers.

What about a sepearate but small team of agents specifically assigned to internet monitoring.

Or another idea what about finding an average usage and set up a system which alerts the team when someone has exceeded a certain amount, for investigation not an instant ban (you could still limit them but say that their usage is under review, creating the much wanted pre-warning system.

FUP would lose giffgaff a lot of customers so I understand why yoi don't want to use one, or those under investigation what about putting a FUP on them for a small period, allowing them to still be a customer but at a limit, warning number 2.

Option One does look the better option to me however Smiley Happy
I understand an fup is not popular however phones are becoming more data intenseve simply banning the odd 1 % is just a short term fix
a href="http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/cheepnetwork" target="_blank">Get a free giffgaff Sim

!st class sims/micro/nano avalible on request please PM
Message 21 of 3,268
by: syorksdeano
on: 06/02/2012 | 13:58

@dpsa2422 wrote:

I have an idea.

Why doesnt giffgaff stop lieing about unlimited usage and set limits. You guys are no better than the likes of t-mobile. Suspending a service which someone has paid for is terrible business practice and very unethical.

Also if three can handle it giffgaff/o2 can. Or is it purely about a profit basis here? aka greedy execs.

Where have giffgaff lied about unlimited usage?  EVERY network has terms and conditions and if someone is doing something on the network that is or can serverely cause problems to other users then some sort of action should be taken.

For people downloading 10-20gb a day (and yes it does happen), then surely using wifi would be better.  The truth is that it is only a small number of people that think that they can push the limits....and then throw a paddy fit when they are caught out.

`Please give me kudos if my reply was helpful.'

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 22 of 3,268
by: dpsa2422
on: 06/02/2012 | 13:58

@antraf1982 wrote:

@dpsa2422 wrote:

I have an idea.

Why doesnt giffgaff stop lieing about unlimited usage and set limits. You guys are no better than the likes of t-mobile. Suspending a service which someone has paid for is terrible business practice and very unethical.

Also if three can handle it giffgaff/o2 can. Or is it purely about a profit basis here? aka greedy execs.

If you can't make a fair, reasoned and polite point then don't bother.  This is giffgaff seeking our views not somewhere to come and make a meaningless rant.

If you think being lied to by giffgaff is fine then so be it. But i dont like being Robbed and lied to. Its Giffgaff fanboys like you who ignore these unethical policies.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 23 of 3,268
by: matt1111
on: 06/02/2012 | 13:59

I think giffgaff need to disconnect that 1% from the internet. Removing the unlimited internet here is simply not an option- think about the rest of the users who use what they have respectively, and why kill a selling point of giffgaff; just because a few people can't behave. Enough is enough!

Another thing giffgaff cna do is provision those SIMs who they intend to disconnect and put them on either GPRS or EDGE- that way the speed is lower and they won't be able to download and things as much. 

Either of those two are the more appropriate to my level of understanding and also thinking of others. 

The best mobile network around!
Follow me on twitter: @iMattDroid93. Say hello or if you want to have a chat then by all means Smiley Happy
XBL: Fartmonster93
Message 24 of 3,268
by: emilina
on: 06/02/2012 | 13:59

@craig_t wrote:

Hi emilina,

People looking to the terms and conditions for things to clarify absolutely everything, are probably in effect looking for a precise fair useage policy. In reality, it's very hard to find one like that (saying everything that can and can't be done, and what happens in each case) on any network in all honesty. I know - I've looked!

This is where we're trying to be different - giving people the responsibility of using their mobile internet the way they want, but at the same time hoping that people can understand that there has to be a middle way where everyone can benefit without impacting each other.

So - this is where it comes down to the choices Vincent's outlined above.

If we give definite limits on "excessive", then this by nature immediately restricts people from what they can actually do.

Which is something we don't really want to do. I hope that makes sense.

--craig

Yes it definitely makes sense and I don't think a precise FUP is necessary, although the main issue so far has been the ambiguity of 'unlimited'. Maybe, as already suggested, an early warning system may a good idea to retain the 'unlimited' data and be less ambiguous without telling people what they can and can't do with their data.

Or perhaps a rough guide, so the t&c may say "for example we would consider 8 hours per day for more than five consecutive days to be excessive"

For a free sim sent via 1st class post usually same day PM me
Message 25 of 3,268
on: 06/02/2012 | 14:00

@syorksdeano wrote:

@dpsa2422 wrote:

I have an idea.

Where have giffgaff lied about unlimited usage?  EVERY network has terms and conditions and if someone is doing something on the network that is or can serverely cause problems to other users then some sort of action should be taken.

For people downloading 10-20gb a day (and yes it does happen), then surely using wifi would be better.  The truth is that it is only a small number of people that think that they can push the limits....and then throw a paddy fit when they are caught out.

And if people dont have wifi? Thats not the point anyway.. Giffgaff should be honest about this instead of refering to the usual BS 1% etc. Plus you also need to remember usage is irrelivant its about transmission speeds.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 26 of 3,268
on: 06/02/2012 | 14:01

@matt1111 wrote:

I think giffgaff need to disconnect that 1% from the internet. Removing the unlimited internet here is simply not an option- think about the rest of the users who use what they have respectively, and why kill a selling point of giffgaff; just because a few people can't behave. Enough is enough!

Another thing giffgaff cna do is provision those SIMs who they intend to disconnect and put them on either GPRS or EDGE- that way the speed is lower and they won't be able to download and things as much. 

Either of those two are the more appropriate to my level of understanding and also thinking of others. 

You make no sense. What you are basicaly saying is people who use it as sold they should be disconnected. Ignore the 1% stuff thats to keep them covered.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 27 of 3,268
by: stanj028
on: 06/02/2012 | 14:02
dpsa it isn't a lie and as mentioned, the ASA (advertising standards authority) say that giffgaff have the measures to still call it unlimited for now... It's not a lie, its pulling out the people who use the service in an abusive way, a way that slows down our connection so I agree they should be punished...
signature11
IF ONE DOES NOT PLOW THERE WILL BE NO HARVEST, WE ARE A TEAM, KEEP IT THAT WAY!

Was my post *AWESOME* or generally helpful? feel free to share some kudos love!
Message 28 of 3,268
on: 06/02/2012 | 14:04

@stanj028 wrote:
dpsa it isn't a lie and as mentioned, the ASA (advertising standards authority) say that giffgaff have the measures to still call it unlimited for now... It's not a lie, its pulling out the people who use the service in an abusive way, a way that slows down our connection so I agree they should be punished...

Ofcourse its a lie. Why can no one see this?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 29 of 3,268
by: cheekypj
on: 06/02/2012 | 14:04

I think option 1 myself, deal with the people that are taking the mick out of the unlimited data.

I would just ask that we have a clear understanding of what giffgaff's level of data what you expect and what you don't.

As being away for a weekend I may use 2,3,or 4 times the normal data then I do normally, but would I be cut if I was streaming a radio station for a few hours??

I guess it is around steaming, watching a few programs on bbc iplayer on my iphone can eat data, I know that its around 300-400mb each time.

I'm happy with giffgaff and if this solves the problems and sorts out a few people than that's great and I do understand someone eating 8hrs plus a day data is going to hurt. And I'm sure now they will move somewhere else, so that will help us allday.

All I would say lets be totally open around the levels and then everyone knows the playing field on the data. 

If anything helps, then don't forget to give me a Kudos!!
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 30 of 3,268