Get Help
Community

Urgent 24hour feedback needed on data pricing option!

Started by: vincent
On: 26/04/2010 | 17:03
Replies: 112

by: vincent
former giff-staffer

on: 29/04/2010 | 12:17

Sigh...

I am confused...

I thought you guys were happy with the solution we came up with.

Do we need to start tinkering again? Cause if we do, we'll never finish.

There's always someone who would like it a bit more of this and then someone else who would like a bit more of that and in the end we end up going backwards and forwards and backwards again.

As far as I understood you were all happy with the quick response and the solution and now this whole debate is starting up again.

I think it is clear from the feedback you liked this new structure we proposed. Good lets stop there.

I think I've been clear, we are not going to implement a £5 data goodybag.

And no, we won't implement a £7 one either.

In fact, we won't be implementing a data only goodybag at all, simply because the offer would never be acceptable. We don't want to be a secondary sim which you only use for data. I'm sure you have other networks for that. 

Like we've said before, we're not a mobile broadband provider. Should that be something we do in the future, you guys will be the first to hear about it Smiley Happy

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/VincentBoon
Message 91 of 113
former giff-staffer

on: 29/04/2010 | 12:28

@adsie wrote:

I just want a simple cheap package that's a little like buying fuel in my car (only cheaperSmiley Surprised).  If I don't use the car the fuel is still there when I need it and I top-up again only when I need to - you get the picture.  

Yep, we've implemented that. See my original post.

@adsie wrote:

I still think a small amount of data that is linked into the 90 day £10 top-up model is what will attract customers. 

Hold on, you wanted to only pay for what you used..... Surely your gas station doesn't give you an extra gallon of gas if you fill up for £50?

@adsie wrote:

I'm still convinced that a free package is the way to go. A little like the loss leaders the supermarkets sell...seems to work okay for Tesco!

Isn't that what we're doing with the goodybags?

Lets be honest here guys, with giffgaff being as cheap as it is, including free giffgaff to giffgaff, free 0800 numbers and all the other cheap calls you can make to other countries etc. etc., we simply can't then also start giving data away for free.

Somethings gotta give. We're happy with feedback and it's all very much appreciated, but we have to also stay realistic and survive as a business.

Message 92 of 113
by: peeter
on: 29/04/2010 | 12:30

Some people seem a little confused about the meaning of  '24 hour feedback needed' perhaps?

Message 93 of 113
by: simon69c
on: 29/04/2010 | 13:20

@vincent wrote:

Sigh...

I am confused...

I thought you guys were happy with the solution we came up with.

Do we need to start tinkering again? Cause if we do, we'll never finish.

To be honest I'm happy with it.  I was only questioning the logic behind ruling out a simple monthly cap on an affordability basis from a devil's advocate point of view.  If it was something that was simple to add to the new pricing structure then I think it would be a good idea as a "safety net" for those who might otherwise accidentally drain their credit in an inadvertent data gorge, but I doubt it will be a problem in reality.

Get a free Giffgaff SIM / microSIM
Message 94 of 113
by: zuberb
on: 29/04/2010 | 13:41 edited: 29/04/2010 | 13:42

Yes, safety net is very much what I had in mind. Though if it works for someone, no reason not to offer it as a feature...

Removing the risk of surprise big bills is one of big reasons many people prefer PAYG.

Keeping the account credit down does do the same thing to an extent. Though it does mean that you could get caught out unexpectedly with no credit when you could really do with making a call.

Zuber

Order your new giffgaff sim from www.sim-shop.co.uk and get an extra £5 credit and cashback !
Message 95 of 113
by: adsie
on: 29/04/2010 | 14:03

Good Afternoon Vincent,

The point I was making (possible rather clumsily) is that we need to get this right.   If it takes a bit longer to achieve what could be better solution then isn't that worth the wait? If what is on the table is what you/we think is the best solution for us (the customers) and you (to remain profitable and survive in this cut-throat market) then fine.  As I said before to be actually consulted is fantastic so please take my suggestions as me trying to add something positive to the debate and not trying screw you for another pound of flesh.

I hope that clarifies?

Kind regards,

Adsie

Message 96 of 113
former giff-staffer

on: 29/04/2010 | 14:07

Yes, but are you thinking of an actual data cap? Which would mean you cannot use data anymore after a certain amount?

Or simply a price cap? In which case the member who is using the data stops paying after a certain amount, lets say £2.50, but can still use data, in which case giffgaff would still have to pay for however much more the member uses the data after the cap of £2.50.

So why would giffgaff want to incur charges because someone else more data than the cap?

(either way we are very unlikely to implement it as it seems everyone is happy with the way things stand now)

Message 97 of 113
Highlighted
by: zuberb
on: 29/04/2010 | 14:24 edited: 29/04/2010 | 14:25

@vincent wrote:

Yes, but are you thinking of an actual data cap? Which would mean you cannot use data anymore after a certain amount?

Or simply a price cap? In which case the member who is using the data stops paying after a certain amount, lets say £2.50, but can still use data, in which case giffgaff would still have to pay for however much more the member uses the data after the cap of £2.50.

So why would giffgaff want to incur charges because someone else more data than the cap?

(either way we are very unlikely to implement it as it seems everyone is happy with the way things stand now)

As I'm sure you'll appreciate Vincent, it is rather hard to come up with something that giffgaff will like when we don't know the whole picture. But at the same you need to protect sensitive information which is fair enough. Hence, things being somewhat convoluted etc.

As for Data Cap or Unlimited. It depends on what you can do...

Data Cap will result in people being reassured that they can use carefully and things will come to a stop if things go out of control.

Unlimited would provide an adhoc alternative to the £10 goodybag. Being adhoc, it would be more expensive hence my suggestion of £15. But essentially providing the same service for data.

I don't know how your costing model works, but I was working on the basis that if a £10 Goody Bag with Unlimited data was profitable, then there is a fair chance that offering an adhoc option with a £15 cap would also be profitable.

Similar for the daily cap. But with the equivalent hike again to account for it being just a days worth.

It would be great if you were able to reveal a little more on how it works (the model, but without the figures perhaps). But I can understand if that is felt to be too sensitive...

Zuber

Order your new giffgaff sim from www.sim-shop.co.uk and get an extra £5 credit and cashback !
Message 98 of 113
former giff-staffer

on: 29/04/2010 | 14:26

@adsie wrote:

Good Afternoon Vincent,

The point I was making (possible rather clumsily) is that we need to get this right.   If it takes a bit longer to achieve what could be better solution then isn't that worth the wait? If what is on the table is what you/we think is the best solution for us (the customers) and you (to remain profitable and survive in this cut-throat market) then fine.  As I said before to be actually consulted is fantastic so please take my suggestions as me trying to add something positive to the debate and not trying screw you for another pound of flesh.

I hope that clarifies?

Kind regards,

Adsie

Hehe, don't worry adsie. The point I was trying to make (also possibly rather clumsily) that if we keep tinkering with it we'll likely never come to a solution. At the end of the day we are certainly open to feedback and suggestions, which in my opinion we already got in the previous thread. 

Which is what we based our suggestion on. 

So we've looked at all the feedback and provided what we hoped would be exactly what you wanted. Thankfully we have 9 pages of positive reaction, so I guess we hit the mark Smiley Happy

What worries me is that we might now at page 10 start coming up with yet again different suggestion.

Say implement those, we then again get different suggestions.

So I guess what I'm saying is that we have to draw the line somewhere. And that we have to watch out we're still profitable as a company of course Smiley Happy

Message 99 of 113
by: ragnorak
on: 29/04/2010 | 15:58 edited: 29/04/2010 | 16:02

zuberb wrote

I don't know how your costing model works, but I was working on the basis that if a £10 Goody Bag with Unlimited data was profitable, then there is a fair chance that offering an adhoc option with a £15 cap would also be profitable.

I think this a reasonable view. The only thing I'd add is that a monthly cap is the only one truly comparable to the goodybag cost (if there was a daily cap of say £2 for truly unlimited data then some might be tempted to make a month's worth of downloads in a single day). But a monthly cap may be less than simple to implement or understand.

The proposal in the original post is an improvment on the previous plan for sure (even if it does give you 70MB less for 50p as a tradeoff for the 20p per MB rate), so failing an even fairer solution for both network and customer then giffgaff should go with that.

Anyone proposing a different deal should bear in mind that it's only likely to be accepted if there are potential losers as well as winners (like those who cared about that extra 70MB for example). How about having a slightly lower fair usage limit of 25MB in exchange for an 8p per MB rate once you exceed that (but still 20p per MB to begin with)? I suggest this as the one lingering concern seems to be that some might get "stung" by getting all their credit zapped if they absent-mindedly continue far beyond the 30MB? This could be particularly painful if someone takes their Payback as credit and ends up losing it all that way. Smiley Happy

Everyone should have at least one phone on giffgaff Robot wink
Get a friend-pack SIM with £5 free on first top-up here
Please order a SIM if you don't yet have one, thanks.
Top 3 things that are free (or cheapest) on giffgaff
Message 100 of 113