Knowledge Base
Community

Urgent 24hour feedback needed on data pricing option!

Started by: vincent
On: 26/04/2010 | 17:03
Replies: 112

by: vincent
former giff-staffer

on: 26/04/2010 | 17:03 edited: 12/05/2010 | 12:10

Hi all,

As you know we always listen to your feedback and where possible try and change what we do.

So on this occasion we have all been talking a lot on our data pricing and about the initial rate as well as the 50p cap a day for 100MB.

We proposed to charge £2 per MB up to a maximum of 50p a day for 100MB, which many of you found to be too steep an initial incline.

So what we propose to implement now is the following:

We will charge 20p per MB up to a maximum of 50p (which works out at 2.5MB) after which you get up to 30MB for free.

Should you go over 30MB, we will then start charging at a rate of 20p per MB.

Which means you now get your slow incline of 20p per MB initially, up to a cap of 50p, which gives you up to 30MB, after which the rate returns to 20p per MB.

This should hopefully satisfy the low data users, with the slow ramp up, and give those who use slightly more a nice buffer of up to 30MB, after which you don't get stung by high prices.

So please let us know your feedback on this proposal!

Cheers,

Vincent

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/VincentBoon
Message 1 of 113
by: trick202
on: 26/04/2010 | 17:15

OK then, I'll cast the first stone..............

I think it's BRILLIANT news that this kind of decision can be considered so quickly. It's a testament to the tenacity of posters like Zuberb and Co, AND the willingness to listen from Vince and the GG team that make GG a real winner for us all.

I can't comment so much on the actual prices, as I am happy with the bundles. Sufficed to say that I am happy if the low data users are happy Smiley Wink

I'm just delighted that GG have obviously been listening and reading. Take that Doubters of the Thomas variety!

Now, cue the: "Three give you free head massages with every top-up" and " T-Mobile have a tarif where they come to your house and actually type the text message you want to send", and finally "No, I just want free stuff. I want other people earn the stuff, then give it to me".

------------------------------------------------------
Rich
@trick202
http://gplus.to/trick202
Message 2 of 113
by: phil8715
on: 26/04/2010 | 17:30

To be honest it wouldn't affect me as I would buy a goodybag with data.

But its seems like a good idea.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 113
by: peeter
on: 26/04/2010 | 17:34

Personally I think it's excellent that giffgaff have listened to the feedback and tried to find a compromise that will (hopefully) please the lower data users.

I'm happy with the goodybags anyhow, so it doesn't really affect me, but well done giffgaff for trying to please everyone!Smiley Happy

(just as an afterthought.........I wonder how long it will take for someone to complain that 100MB which WAS only 50p is now nine times more expensive at £4.50 LOL)Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 113
by: alextomkins
on: 26/04/2010 | 17:37

So if you accidentally download 50MB you'd be paying 50p for the first 30MB, then a whopping £4 for the next 20MB?

Could be slightly negative if users get hit by a large daily bill.

Message 5 of 113
by: englishbeer
on: 26/04/2010 | 17:39 edited: 26/04/2010 | 17:44

Hi Vincent

I think this is a big improvement on the previous data charges. I guess you were not able of offer a small amount of free data.

If at all possible you could increase the cap from 30mb to 50mb, so after 50mb you each mb is 20p.

Thanks again

John

Message 6 of 113
by: kevinsmith
on: 26/04/2010 | 17:41

Hi Vincent and everyone else

Please excuse my ignorance as I have not followed the twists and turns of the rates discussion. Is the charge pro-rated? If I use 0.5MB on Monday, will I be charged 10p or 20p for Monday's usage?

As a likely beneficiary of a ramp-up rate for low users, I appreciate any adjustments to cater for our needs. 

I'll keep watching the thread to see what the better informed users' analysis is of the actual monthly cost ramification is for a light user who receives and sends a few emails a day. 

Regards

Kevin Smith

Message 7 of 113
by: andydeakin
on: 26/04/2010 | 17:42

I think it is great that gg are prepared to so openly request and respond to feedback.

I am in favour of the new charges, although still think that 50p a day is still a bit high for a cap - compare with virgin's payg 30p cap. (This in effect limits a low-volume regular user to £15 a month on gg or £10 a month on virgin)

I also have questions about minimum connection charges which I would appreciate clarification on. e.g. if my phone checks email every 10 minutes (~2 kB each time, 144 times a day) will I get charged the minimum connection charge of 1p each time I download a few kb?

Bit more detail:

Scenario A: 144 connections @ 1p each = £1.44, capped to £0.50 per day

or

Scenario B: 144 connections @ ~2kB each, total ~0.3MB =  £0.06 per day

or

Scenario C: 144 connections @ 1p every 15 minutes, £0.96, capped to £0.50 per day

Note: Scenario C is taken from Asda mobile who have a minimum charge per session (which has a hazy definition) but tends to last around 15 minutes.

Keep up the good work Vincent, we do appreciate it!

Message 8 of 113
by: staking
on: 26/04/2010 | 17:51

lower price is good,

but really it should be free 20mb or so with the £5 package

ideally it would be good to offer all users 2mb free data a day and then charge after that.

mine is just used to update the weather and check facebook the odd time.

Message 9 of 113
by: tallpaul
on: 26/04/2010 | 17:53

@vincent wrote:

We proposed to charge £2 per MB up to a maximum of 50p a day for 100MB, which many of you found to be too steep an initial incline.

So what we propose to implement now is the following:

We will charge 20p per MB up to a maximum of 50p (which works out at 2.5MB) after which you get up to 30MB for free.

Should you go over 30MB, we will then start charging at a rate of 20p per MB.

Which means you now get your slow incline of 20p per MB initially, up to a cap of 50p, which gives your 30MB, after which the rate returns to 20p per MB.

This should hopefully satisfy the low data users, with the slow ramp up, and give those who use slightly more a nice buffer of up to 30MB, after which you don't get stung by high prices.

So please let us know your feedback on this proposal!

That would certainly suit me very well, it's certainly significantly better than the Vodafone plan, which is what I was using before. So thank you.

Tall Paul
tallpaul.org
Message 10 of 113