Knowledge Base
Community

Urgent 24hour feedback needed on data pricing option!

Started by: vincent
On: 26/04/2010 | 17:03
Replies: 112

by: bigfatbball2
on: 29/04/2010 | 15:58

@vincent I think the data pricing is fine and everyone agrees so go ahead with that

The only worry is having to pay 50£+ in a month for data because they didn't think to get a goodybag so it's more setting a monthly cap for data of 15-20-30£ or an automated subscription to the 10£ goodybag (whatever makes sense for giffgaff)  to insure they don't end up paying 400£ for data at the end of the month

@vincent wrote:

Thankfully we have 9 pages of positive reaction, so I guess we hit the mark Smiley Happy

What worries me is that we might now at page 10 start coming up with yet again different suggestion.

haha

for me this page 2

you should go in the community settings and require it to load 50 posts per page - it really heps (slightly slower but less switching pages Smiley Wink )

Bigfatbball2
Don't forget to check out the giffgaffer top tips section before posting
iPhone 6 / OnePlus One
http://twitter.com/bigfatbball2
Message 101 of 113
by: ragnorak
on: 29/04/2010 | 16:10

I reckon a monthly cap would have to work on a calendar monthly basis for simplicity's sake, but £15 would be reasonable I think (the extra £5 being enough to make up for the "gambling" element of not knowing in advance if you'll use more than you would with a goodybag).

Everyone should have at least one phone on giffgaff Robot wink
Get a friend-pack SIM with £5 free on first top-up here
Please order a SIM if you don't yet have one, thanks.
Top 3 things that are free (or cheapest) on giffgaff
Message 102 of 113
by: kaz
on: 29/04/2010 | 16:19 edited: 29/04/2010 | 16:20

bigfatbball2-

While a monthly cap would be good - and £15 does sound reasonable for both gg and customer - I can't work out  how you think anyone could be stung for a bill of £400 at the end of the month - it's payg!  Who tops up £400 on payg?  

I don't think that you could have an automated sub to the £10 goodybag once you'd hit £10 worth of data - you'd already have used that £10 of credit - and you couldn't have the goodybag added retrospectively (would you then be refunded for calls you'd made in the days since you'd started burning £10 of data?)  It just doesn't work because the goodybags don't run from 1st of the month (unless you buy one that day).  It would be the customer's responsibility to realise their use was high enough to justify buying the goodybag to limit their costs.

Message 103 of 113
by: zuberb
on: 29/04/2010 | 16:30

If all this what to charge stuff is too complex for giffgaff, then perhaps the best option would be to go with the Data Cap.

i.e. Once you hit a daily limit, data stops.

You could make it optional, something the user could set, enable/disable etc. depends on what giffgaff are able to do.

That would still address the runaway bill concerns while letting giffgaff stick to the pricing model.

Zuber

Order your new giffgaff sim from www.sim-shop.co.uk and get an extra £5 credit and cashback !
Message 104 of 113
by: ragnorak
on: 29/04/2010 | 18:30 edited: 29/04/2010 | 18:51

Another option would be to abandon the idea of a daily cap and instead go with 20p for each of the first 2 megabytes per day and then 1p per MB thereafter. This would save a few pence for those who use between 2MB and 11MB, would cost a few pence extra for those using over 12MB and (for comparative purposes) would cost 68p for those reaching 30MB.

But honestly, I'm just brainstorming here - I say go with the idea in the original post and be done with it already. Smiley Happy

Everyone should have at least one phone on giffgaff Robot wink
Get a friend-pack SIM with £5 free on first top-up here
Please order a SIM if you don't yet have one, thanks.
Top 3 things that are free (or cheapest) on giffgaff
Message 105 of 113
by: markda2000
on: 30/04/2010 | 11:10

Can I have a different GoodyBag please?

I would love another option say a £5 goody bag -unimited internet and nothing else

Anyone else be interested in that?

markda2000

GiffGaffing a Palm Pre 3, HTC One X or iPhone 5 - whichever phone suits my needs for the day

http://twitter.com/markda2000
Message 106 of 113
by: commsyeo
on: 30/04/2010 | 12:05

@markda2000 wrote:

Can I have a different GoodyBag please?

I would love another option say a £5 goody bag -unimited internet and nothing else

Anyone else be interested in that?

Try reading this thread.

CY

Message 107 of 113
by: gobelge
on: 01/05/2010 | 15:17 edited: 01/05/2010 | 15:22

@zuberb wrote:

I don't know how your costing model works, but I was working on the basis that if a £10 Goody Bag with Unlimited data was profitable, then there is a fair chance that offering an adhoc option with a £15 cap would also be profitable.

It is probably difficult to compare the £10 goodybag data usage with a PAYG data user who hits a hypothetical ad-hoc £15 monthly data cap. The average £10 goodybag data user probably uses only a few MBs per day (on average), whereas someone hitting the £15 monthly cap might have used up to 30MB every day for 30 days (costing 50p x 30 = £15, a total of 900 MB over a month). Clearly this traffic is much more expensive for Giffgaff than that of the £10 goodybag user, so Giffgaff understandably might not give away any data on top of those 900MB for free. Likewise, ASDA Mobile (who similarly charge 20p/MB, but for every single MB used and thus are more expensive than GG) do not have price capping either.

If you try and keep your balance low all the time, then effectively that is an insurance against using too much data accidentally (unless the billing is very delayed).

But if you need a lot of data, or are at risk of using more data than you wanted, why not use a different SIM for this (e.g. Three, T-Mobile, etc.) and keep the GG SIM for calls and texts? T-Mobile seems particularly fair here - if you exceed your 1GB monthly allowance, you won't be charged anything but they might restrict the internet access (essentially data capping). I believe the same is true for Three.

Message 108 of 113
by: jonmd
on: 01/05/2010 | 22:42

Why is this thread still going on? 24 hours finished some days ago.

If you find the information above useful, please click the star to the left to give me kudos
Message 109 of 113
by: zuberb
on: 02/05/2010 | 00:37 edited: 02/05/2010 | 12:14

@gobelge wrote:

But if you need a lot of data, or are at risk of using more data than you wanted, why not use a different SIM for this (e.g. Three, T-Mobile, etc.) and keep the GG SIM for calls and texts? T-Mobile seems particularly fair here - if you exceed your 1GB monthly allowance, you won't be charged anything but they might restrict the internet access (essentially data capping). I believe the same is true for Three.

That's what I plan to do. Once a data only goodybag was ruled out, suggestions were more out of general interest than anything else.

My latest idea is to just use an actual prepay dongle and use that sim in the phone. That way I can do tethering as well with no complaints. Three dongle sim works fine on the Nexus. Not tried making calls on it yet since I need to top up first...

Zuber

Order your new giffgaff sim from www.sim-shop.co.uk and get an extra £5 credit and cashback !
Message 110 of 113