Knowledge Base
Community

Urgent 24hour feedback needed on data pricing option!

Started by: vincent
On: 26/04/2010 | 17:03
Replies: 112

by: meo
on: 29/04/2010 | 09:00

i meant a revised £5 goodybag to whats currently proposed..

Message 81 of 113
by: jamie
on: 29/04/2010 | 09:13

would be nice if it was 10p per 10mb to a max 50p then after 50p you get some free allowance

Thanks,
Jamie

Twitter - @JamieEarlTEK
Message 82 of 113
by: peeter
on: 29/04/2010 | 09:26 edited: 29/04/2010 | 09:27

@meo wrote:

I suppose this makes a £5 GoodyBag (with no inclusive calls but free GG to GG) an option GG could consider?.

It could be.......except for the fact it was ruled out by giffgaff over a week agoSmiley Wink

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Submit-Great-giffgaff-Ideas/New-goodybags-and-some-free-data/idi-p/...

Message 83 of 113
by: simon69c
on: 29/04/2010 | 09:51

@vincent wrote:

@zuberb wrote:

But would it be viable to add a worst case overall per day and/or per month cap. e.g.. Will never cost more than (Max cost) say £1.50 a day or £15 a month (Unlimited data) ?

Well, we can't really do that as it would cost us an arm and a leg should someone use a couple of gigs of data and then say '

oops, it was my 9 year old'.

Whether or not you intentionally use it, we still have to pay for it.

Cheers,

Vincent

I don't follow your logic there Vincent.  How is someone (intentionally or otherwise) using a couple of gigs in a month outside a goodybag going to be that much (if any) less affordable for you than someone using say 3 gigs in a month on the £10 goodybag?  Do you think it would be rational to charge that person over £400 (which is what 2GB would cost at the "new" rates)?  Obviously that is an extreme example, and chances are that they would run out of credit well before charges that excessive were incurred, but it does show there is an argument for a monthly cap on data use.

Get a free Giffgaff SIM / microSIM
Message 84 of 113
by: andy0
on: 29/04/2010 | 10:00 edited: 29/04/2010 | 10:46

@jamie wrote:

would be nice if it was 10p per 10mb to a max 50p then after 50p you get some free allowance

it would be nice if income tax was 5 pence in the pound, but I wouldn't vote for anyone who proposed it Smiley Happy

a penny a megabyte isn't likely to be on the cards

but apart from that, this proposal is for 20p per megabyte up to 50p, then no further charge for up to a larger amount, so is fairly similar to the pattern you suggest, as long as people don't overshoot their allowance

Message 85 of 113
by: trick202
on: 29/04/2010 | 10:12

@simon69c wrote:

@vincent wrote:

@zuberb wrote:

But would it be viable to add a worst case overall per day and/or per month cap. e.g.. Will never cost more than (Max cost) say £1.50 a day or £15 a month (Unlimited data) ?

Well, we can't really do that as it would cost us an arm and a leg should someone use a couple of gigs of data and then say '

oops, it was my 9 year old'.

Whether or not you intentionally use it, we still have to pay for it.

Cheers,

Vincent

I don't follow your logic there Vincent.  How is someone (intentionally or otherwise) using a couple of gigs in a month outside a goodybag going to be that much (if any) less affordable for you than someone using say 3 gigs in a month on the £10 goodybag?  Do you think it would be rational to charge that person over £400 (which is what 2GB would cost at the "new" rates)?  Obviously that is an extreme example, and chances are that they would run out of credit well before charges that excessive were incurred, but it does show there is an argument for a monthly cap on data use.

Because in the case of "unintentional" use - GG would be expected to waive the charges.

------------------------------------------------------
Rich
@trick202
http://gplus.to/trick202
Message 86 of 113
by: zuberb
on: 29/04/2010 | 10:25 edited: 29/04/2010 | 10:51

I don't think anyone is saying charges should be waived.

But in the same way GG can afford to have unlimited for £10.

The question is, can giffgaff afford to let us have unlimited (for a day or a month) once they have made enough to cover costs and margin through per MB. 

£15 for a month being significantly higher than £10 so that those expecting to use that much would still feel inclined to buy the goodybag (which also includes minutes and texts).

Don't know the internals, but giffgaff are making more revenue from the £15 cap than if they got a £10 bundle and in both cases offering unlimited internet.

The daily cap is essentially following the same logic over a shorter timeframe...

Once people see there are some safety valves in place:

They are more inclined to signup.

They are more inclined to put larger amounts into the kitty.

Less frequent larger payments also reduce costs associates with processing each transaction etc. and increases cashflow.

Having people leave larger amounts in the kitty also improves retention.

All fairly logical I think.

Zuber

Order your new giffgaff sim from www.sim-shop.co.uk and get an extra £5 credit and cashback !
Message 87 of 113
by: adsie
on: 29/04/2010 | 11:21 edited: 29/04/2010 | 11:23

Good Morning Folks,

I don't know about you but I loath paying monthly for a service I don't use.  We all use our phones differently and for some the goodybags are brill, for others (those of us likely to be interested in this thread) they are not.  I don't know about you but I loath paying monthly for a service I don't use and have loads of minutes/texts/data left at the end of the month that I have paid for but not used.   I just want a simple cheap package that's a little like buying fuel in my car (only cheaperSmiley Surprised).  If I don't use the car the fuel is still there when I need it and I top-up again only when I need to - you get the picture.  

I still think a headline grabbing small amount of data that is linked into the 90 day £10 top-up model is what will attract customers.  An additional suggestion which I imagine must have considered before but what about a goodybag that allows low data users to buy a data allowance up front for the basics e mails and basic browsing (not for terrabytes of downloads or that  file sharing malarky) but you have that data available until it is all used up i.e. doesn't need to be used within a month?

I'm sure someone who is infinitely more IT savvy than I am could suggest a sensible amount for say £5 for the smallest bag.  The previous similar suggestion as I recall was for a £5 unlimited data goodybag which I can see may not be profitable for GG so therefore is never going to get off the ground. 

We need to get this this right as the right solution to the low data user debate is a fantastic opportunity to attract many PAYG customers from other networks. I'm still convinced that a headline grabbing small free package is the way to go a little like the loss leaders the supermarkets sell...seems to work okay for Tesco!

Kind regards,

Adsie

Message 88 of 113
by: desreid
on: 29/04/2010 | 11:25

Yup, absolutely with you on that one, adsie. 

Message 89 of 113
by: zuberb
on: 29/04/2010 | 11:47 edited: 29/04/2010 | 11:49

A while back, I suggested offering buying actual data in chunks with a long expiry, but it did not gain traction.

e.g. 1GB for use within 6 months for £10. Figures could be changed as appropriate.

No idea is this is something that would be of interest to giffgaff. I have posted it as a suggestion in the ideas section so that we don't pollute this thread too much.

I'm calling it the "Use at Leisure Data Bundle".

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Submit-Great-giffgaff-Ideas/Use-at-leasure-Data-Bundle/idi-p/12873

I guess Vincent will set an appropriate can/can't/maybe status to it... 

Zuber

Order your new giffgaff sim from www.sim-shop.co.uk and get an extra £5 credit and cashback !
Message 90 of 113