Knowledge Base
Community

We're putting Sell your phone on pause (now un-paused!)

Started by: kashwell
On: 23/08/2018 | 16:00
Replies: 80

by: kashwell
handy giff-staffer

on: 23/08/2018 | 16:00 edited: 21/09/2018 | 09:35

Hi everyone, Sean here, head of the Phones team at giffgaff.

As you might know, giffgaff’s phones pages have gone from being a small part of what we offer to a core part of how people interact with giffgaff. We’ve gone from offering just a few phones on either a pay monthly or outright basis, to offering preowned and refurbished phones, as well as the ability to trade in phones you no longer need.

To do this, we work with a lot of companies behind the scenes to manage it - the manufacturers themselves, inventory management companies, technicians, courier services, and more.

Unfortunately, due to some critical operational challenges with one of our partners, and despite our best efforts in trying to resolve them, we’ve decided it’s in the best interests of members for us to temporarily put the ‘sell my phone’ feature of giffgaff on hold. This means that in the short term, we won’t be able to offer Marketplace trade-in on your old devices.

If you’ve got a phone that’s currently in transit or waiting for inspection, then you should not be impacted. However, if you’re concerned about the status of your trade-in for any reason, our agent team will be able to investigate for you.

Since we launched early last year, it’s become very clear how much people value being able to trade in their phones to reduce waste (and save a little on their next one), and we're sorry that this is going to be inconvenient for those of you who were planning on using this feature. We’re going to continue to work with our partner to get it back up and running as soon as we can and we'll share news on that when we have it.

Many thanks,

Sean

UPDATE - September 21st, 2018

Dear Members

Following on from our message to you on the 23rd August about us pausing sell my phone on giffgaff. We are very pleased to announce that we are confident that the operational challenges we highlighted have been resolved and later today we will be re-activating “sell my phone” once again.

Thank you all for your patience and support during this period

Have a great Friday

Sean

giffgaff Head of Phones
Message 1 of 81
Highlighted
by: persco
on: 23/08/2018 | 16:20

Good move by giffgaff on this. Complaints especially on social media were getting too much with people publicly advocating not patronising giffgaff’s marketplace. Valuation of the phone on the site and what people were getting after sending phone was a joke. 

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 81
by: mcilwraith
on: 23/08/2018 | 17:05

thanks for the info

a couple of my answers on help and support today are now wrong Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 81
by: ramada03
on: 23/08/2018 | 22:08
Good Evening

Slightly disappointed with this news as Giffgaff have 2 phones of mine that have been delivered to yourselves.
I really think that you should stop the auto delivery of return envelopes as I used this service to return the phones earlier this week.
How are these phones returned to the customers if you have stopped this service?
Message 4 of 81
by: figment_uk
on: 24/08/2018 | 07:20

@ramada03

Paragraph 5 of the opening post should address your issue. 

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 5 of 81
by: harrybeau
on: 24/08/2018 | 09:45

Seems a good idea to me. The complaints we were seeing were in danger of damaging giffgaff's reputation.

Message 6 of 81
by: jaymailsays
on: 24/08/2018 | 12:20 edited: 24/08/2018 | 12:56

The valuations for used phones, particularly where accounts were not removed, were nothing short of scandalous. 

Unless a fairer deal can be guaranteed the retirement of this feature should be permanent. 

Off Topic slightly, how is it that Argos sell Samsung S9+ New for £799.95 when giffgaff charge £869?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 81
by: giffgaff20147
on: 24/08/2018 | 17:31

@kashwell

Thanks for imformation , 

bad news for some 

Message 8 of 81
by: kmichael
on: 25/08/2018 | 00:18

Hallelujah!  High time someone looked at the big picture.

Get a free giffgaff Sim with £5 credit
Message 9 of 81
by: pete2009
on: 25/08/2018 | 10:16

Thanks for the update. Hopefully giffgaff can offer the service again in the future if the issues can be resolved.

Cheers

Message 10 of 81