What will happen with 5G on giffgaff?

Started by: dc_caton78
On: 02/08/2019 | 19:00
Replies: 57

by: dc_caton78
handy giff-staffer

on: 02/08/2019 | 19:00

Afternoon all,

It’s the question on a lot of people’s lips at the moment. It seems like only yesterday that we were talking about the rollout of 4G, and now 5G is just around the corner.

You might have seen that O2 have been talking about their 5G rollout, starting in October. As giffgaff uses the O2 network, when we roll out our 5G capability, we’ll be able to take advantage of that 5G infrastructure.

As most of you know, giffgaff is a business that likes to test and experiment. With a new technology like this, it’s important that we implement it in a way that’s right for the members that will be using it, so our first forays into 5G will be on a trial basis. 

Our engineers have been looking into how we can implement 5G in the best way, and we’ll be able to update as they progress. We are also keen on working with you on the 5G trial so if you’re interested in being part of an early trial group please let us know. 

In the meantime, we’d love to hear your thoughts on 5G. Has the growing awareness we’ve seen over the past few months changed your views to what 5G can offer?

Thanks,

DC

Message 1 of 58
by: digit2
on: 02/08/2019 | 20:20

I’m an iPhone user and I don’t think Apple have any plans for 5g phones this year. Until there are phones available I’m not worried about 5g. I think o2 are only rolling out the 5g in London and a few other cities initially. 

Message 2 of 58
by: nerakb
on: 02/08/2019 | 20:30

Thanks for the update @dc_caton78

In all honesty,I'm happy with 4G and have only recently (in the last month) bought a new phone so won't be going out to purchase a new (5G compatible) phone.

Please remember to mark a post "Best Answer" which appropriately answers your question/query.Please remember to also award kudos to posts you've found helpful/useful.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 3 of 58
by: charlixsparkles
on: 02/08/2019 | 21:29
I have heard little about 5G, but the gist of that is that only few devices on the market can use it and it's not that discernible from 4G. But if it really is the future, it's nice to be part of the beginning Smiley Happy as far as O2/giffgaff is concerned, anyway!
Message 4 of 58
by: brulaw
on: 02/08/2019 | 21:44 edited: 02/08/2019 | 22:01

@dc_caton78 

Thanks for the heads up / information ,

I think a lot of people who might be interested in being part of any ' trial group ' ( myself included )  would be put off by having to splash out on a 5G compatible phone ( not many around as yet and those that are are expensive ) ,

It would be great to see  giffgaff offering competitive 5G rates and be setting the trend for others to follow ,

big-grin.gif Happy giffgaffing everyonethumbup.gif

Message 5 of 58
by: subasht
on: 02/08/2019 | 21:56
i'm interested in the 5G trial..

however i don't own a 5G phone.. will giffgaff be providing devices for the people participating in the trial??
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 58
by: luke198830
on: 02/08/2019 | 22:00
As Giffgaff runs on the o2 network will 5G come out the same time as o2 rollout 5G?
Message 7 of 58
by: bornagain1
on: 02/08/2019 | 22:00
To be fair, 4g is not that great at the moment, so to me 5g is just pie in the sky. Once 4g is stable and available almost everywhere, I might then look at 5g, but I reckon its years away yet, before it's worth investing in a 5g capable mobile and what I would think would be more expensive data!
Message 8 of 58
by: germansheppard234
on: 02/08/2019 | 22:23

@dc_caton78

Sure many will buy 5g phones i would be happy if o2 got the 4g to work so bad i have to set phone to 3g 

Great that giffgaff r looking at it like a major player and prepared to go forward 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 58
by: formulaone
on: 02/08/2019 | 22:23 edited: 02/08/2019 | 22:25

Nice one, to see O2/giffgaff will follow.

I'm afraid it won't be me testing 5G for while, only just recently bought myself a new phone. So It'll be a while before I get to have a chance of 5G.

I'm also happy with my current speeds of 4G. Ofcom should be looking to improve 2G/3G and even 4G (for those in areas that don't have it too well), before introducing 5G! Smiley Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 58