Community

[Winners announced] Charity Payback Voting - May/June 2019

Started by: t_will
On: 22/05/2019 | 14:28
Replies: 102

by: t_will
community giff-staffer

on: 22/05/2019 | 14:28 edited: 04/06/2019 | 16:43

Hi everyone! The votes are in, and we've got our definitive final two charities for this Payback period. Between them, they took over 53% of the member vote, and will benefit from a donation from every member who picks to donate to charity this Payback period.

The winners are:

Bumblebee Conservation Trust

and

Parkinson's UK

Congratulations to our worthy winners, and thank you to each and every giffgaffer who voted this Payback period - your votes will mean that two very worthy causes benefit from giffgaffers' generosity this year.

If you haven't yet chosen to give your Payback to charity, there's still time - just head over to your Payback selection page and pick the charities option.

Original post:

Click to reveal

Hi everyone, thank you for all your nominations for the charities for this year's charity Payback.

I'm very pleased to say that our five charities in the shortlist this year have now been decided, the charities have confirmed, and we're about to start our vote. If you've earned Payback, please keep an eye on your emails over the next few days.

Our five top nominees this Payback period are:

Bumblebee Conservation Trust

Bus Shelter MK

Diabetes UK

Parkinson's UK

The RNLI

Because of how charitable giffgaffers are and how wide-ranging your interests are, this was a very close nomination period, with a lot of charities in the running for the top five. In the end, we had to use unique Kudos as a tiebreaker between over ten different charities, after we'd done our legitimacy checks on the nominations.

Keep an eye out on your inbox over the next few days for your voting email, which will have your unique link to vote for one of these charities. We'll be closing the voting at 23:59 on June 2nd, so there'll be plenty of time for you to get your vote in. Voting is now closed. Thank you to everyone who voted - we'll be announcing the winners very soon.

The top two charities from this vote will share the sum total of every donation made by giffgaffers through Payback this period. If you've not chosen to give your Payback to charity this time around, you can do it from the Payback selection page here.

Last December, giffgaffers clubbed together to give over £21,000 to each of the charities that won the vote - it's clear that when we all get together, we can make a real difference to a good cause. I'm really looking forward to the result of this vote - keep an eye out for your emails and make your vote count.

Thanks,

Will

giffgaff community bloke
I'll be away on a break after the 20th until July 1st. If you need something while I'm away, ask an Educator you know or hit me up next month.
You can send me a message and we'll get rolling. Need a topic? Try here.
Message 1 of 103
by: joshpt
on: 22/05/2019 | 14:55
Okay, Thank you for update Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 103
by: tired16
on: 22/05/2019 | 16:35

Thanks @t_will

I've just voted. Smiley Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Please remember to select a "Best answer" and give "Kudos" to those that have helped you. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 103
by: formulaone
on: 22/05/2019 | 16:50

Thanks for the heads up Will! Smiley Happy

I don't have anyone in the family or friends that has this, But, I've voted and I believe "Parkinson's UK" deserves my Vote!

All the best to all charities!

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 103
by: bobrobinson
on: 22/05/2019 | 17:09 edited: 22/05/2019 | 17:10

Thanks @t_will   for the update.

Theres 5 great charities there mate . And thanks to all that was involved in choosing them.

And now its up to us to choose 2. This is going to be a hard one.

All tne best BobSmiley Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 103
by: django21
on: 22/05/2019 | 17:14
Good charities Smiley Happy
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 103
by: bornagain1
on: 22/05/2019 | 17:16
Is it possible to give part of your payback, or does it have to be the whole amount?
Message 8 of 103
by: kathleen414
on: 22/05/2019 | 17:18

Fab news @t_will  

Good luck to all the great causes 

Message 9 of 103
by: t_will
community giff-staffer

on: 22/05/2019 | 17:40 edited: 22/05/2019 | 17:44

@bornagain1 wrote:

Is it possible to give part of your payback, or does it have to be the whole amount?

If you want your donation to benefit from the matching we do, you need to choose the charities from the Payback selection page, and that will commit all your Payback to a donation.

If you'd rather split your donation then you can take it as cash to a PayPal account, and then make an individual donation yourself - when the winners are announced we'll have links on how to do that easily and directly to the charities. Of course, that will mean your donation won't benefit from us matching the amount.

That reminds me - we won't be using JustGiving this year as JustTextGiving has closed down, and the main reason for using them was to allow people who took their Payback as credit to text in a donation. If there are any suggestions for a similar service that would allow people to text donations from their credit, I'm all ears Smiley Happy

giffgaff community bloke
I'll be away on a break after the 20th until July 1st. If you need something while I'm away, ask an Educator you know or hit me up next month.
You can send me a message and we'll get rolling. Need a topic? Try here.
Message 10 of 103