Knowledge Base
Community

0845,0870 numbers in goodybags

0845,0870 numbers in goodybags

This has been covered before but I'm making a slightly different argument.

According to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-geographical_telephone_numbers_in_the_United_Kingdom as of 2009 no revenue sharing is allowed on 0870 numbers and 2p per minute for 0845.   I don't see why 0870 numbers at least can't come out of goodybag minutes.  As for 0845, why not use 2mins for each 1min actual time or something like that or 1minute + 2p

I find it terribly frustrating as I typically have 95% of my minutes left but still have to pay for these non-geographic numbers.

Both 0870 and 0845 are inclusive in minutes on BT landlines with BT subsidising the 2p on 0845 numbers.

Giffgaff were ahead of the game making 0800 numbers free on a mobile network (rediculous that others charge).  However Ofcom are going to make it manditory for 0800 to free across the board.  

So why not get ahead of the game again by being fair on 0870,0845?   It would be good for reputation

311 Comments
motivator
I 100% agree with you on this.
chaperon
It's to do with the way these calls are charged. It's annoying, I think you're now seeing a change towards companies making their numbers more mobile friendly.
veteran

@stuzl wrote:

This has been covered before but I'm making a slightly different argument.

According to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-geographical_telephone_numbers_in_the_United_Kingdom as of 2009 no revenue sharing is allowed on 0870 numbers and 2p per minute for 0845.   I don't see why 0870 numbers at least can't come out of goodybag minutes.  As for 0845, why not use 2mins for each 1min actual time or something like that or 1minute + 2p

I find it terribly frustrating as I typically have 95% of my minutes left but still have to pay for these non-geographic numbers.

Both 0870 and 0845 are inclusive in minutes on BT landlines with BT subsidising the 2p on 0845 numbers.

Giffgaff were ahead of the game making 0800 numbers free on a mobile network (rediculous that others charge).  However Ofcom are going to make it manditory for 0800 to free across the board.  

So why not get ahead of the game again by being fair on 0870,0845?   It would be good for reputation

fab idea Smiley Happy  hope gg take note ??

consultant

Completely agree and support this.

phenomenon
Supported, very reasonable arguments Smiley Happy
vanguard
Completely support this idea as every company I ever deal with seem to have one of these numbers! This would make life so much easier.
professor

sounds very doable and very reasonable and will be a great selling point for us to spread giffgaff ! 

fully support this, great idea! 

newcomer
Agree
navigator
Agree 0870 and 0845 numbers are extremely frustrating especially when you end up on hold for a long time.
instructor
You have my support. Smiley Happy