Knowledge Base
Community

Avoid misleading phone prices - use "from £xxx" where appropriate

Avoid misleading phone prices - use "from £xxx" where appropriate

While perusing giffgaff's phone purchase pages today, I noticed that there is the potential for the prices being quoted misleading some people.

On the page that lists all phones (http://giffgaff.com/phones), and on the overview page for certain brands of phone (for example, the one for Apple's various iPhones), the prices quoted are the ones for the phones with the smallest data capacity. It's not until you click through to the details about the phone itself that you see that larger-capacity phones cost more.

For example the Apple iPhone 5s is currently quoted on the overview pages (linked to above) as being "£525" (this is likely to change depending on when you read this idea), but this only applies to the 16GB version. Only this page makes it clear that the 32GB version costs £606 (subject to change) and the 64GB version costs £681 (subject to change).

So I think where phones are being sold that have different varieties within them where price is affected, the overview pages should display a price preceded by the word "from" (i.e. "from £525" in my example above), so that they cannot be seen as potentially misleading.

EDIT (05/07/2014): A possible alternative to the use of the word "from" that would be even more transparent would be to display the range of prices the phone will cost, depending on which is chosen, so to continue with the same example, this might be: "£525 to £681". (Credit to @johncashman for this suggestion.)

25 Comments
tutor
quite right.
Supported, though as I said in the thread where you first suggested this, I don't see why it has to go through the whole ideas process, as its a bit of a no-brainer and should be able to bypass the ideas board and be done as soon as possible
genius
Good idea. So simple to implement and would avoid confusion

Seems simple enough. Supported.

heavy hitter

Agreed.

@simonefaye78

I also have to agree with you.

Although giffgaff is "run by you" there seems to be no simple and consistant way to correspond with those that can actually "do something".
It all seems to be a bit hitty-missy whether an educator picks something up - even 20 kudus (is that the right trigger figure?) does not all ways appear to work.

Maybe some kudos here my help ...... Educator-inbox-facility posted by @phil_72 

big cheese

@bill48er wrote:

It all seems to be a bit hitty-missy whether an educator picks something up - even 20 kudus (is that the right trigger figure?) does not all ways appear to work.

Yes - it's still 20 ... for the time being anyway.

And yes - one of my other ideas has 52 Kudos and is 3 months old now, but is still languishing in limbo somewhere, without even an idea status (not even "New Idea"). Smiley Indifferent I know it's far from the only one in this position either.

giffgaff to the grave

This is  one of those ..... simple bet very effective things that help make things run smoothly .... Nice one Gordie  .... :smileywink:  ...... supported . 

academic

Nice and simple idea, it makes sense to me as well. I think it will be beneficial for the community because it makes things easier to understand for those that know why "from" is put in front of the prices and it is actually easy to guess why because it is simple english grammar.

There needs to be a simpler process for these no brainers.
augur

I can't see any reason why there needs to be a delay in making this simple change.

It looks like a five minute job. Someone could fix it and post back that it's done.

Going through the whole ideas process could see the pricing not being amended until some time next year.