Get Help
Community

Duplicate Ideas

Duplicate Ideas

Most giffgaff ideas now turn out to be duplicates.

To solve this I suggest that when you type the name of your idea (the title) the system runs a search for this on the ideas section.  It then suggests to the user (perhaps a column on the right) that there are other threads similar and then they could choose not to post it.  I know everyone says 'just search' but the reality is there are many people who don't.  This bit of coding that  is probably not too complex (I'm no programmer), would save a lot of everyone's time!

Tom

32 Comments
former giff-staffer

Alright - after looking into this more. Can you please tell me how this idea is different to the auto-suggest on Search already? 

pioneer

Its updated automatically so even lazy people who don't search can see if their post has been suggested before - it is on the page where you type in your idea - not the searchbox. That is the difference.

pioneer

The ideas alone mean nothing - it is clear that the giffgaff community want this. Why can't it be implemented? It is supposed to be 'run by us' Smiley Tongue

marvel

tjommo wrote:

Its updated automatically so even lazy people who don't search can see if their post has been suggested before - it is on the page where you type in your idea - not the searchbox. That is the difference.

And in what way does that differ from this previous suggestion?

It seems to me there are just slight differences of method and moment when this will be presented to the user. 

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Submit-Great-giffgaff-Ideas/Forced-search-on-idea-submission/idi-p/... 

My suggestion is that the title of the idea is automatically searched for among the submitted ideas and fed back to the submitted. After clicking submit a screen would explain that ideas are commonly duplicates and here is a search based on what you've written

cicerone

I think this is a good idea. The only potential issue is that people don't always give a title that reflects the content of their idea. Therefore basing the duplicate search just on the title may lead to irrelvant results being returned.

pioneer

That is true victor - but in ideas more people type relevant things. In helps for example many are titled 'HELP' or 'PROBLEM'

soothsayer

Your own title here wouldn't fare very well in your propsed search/entry box Smiley Tongue

pioneer

@stephenmiller - there would be no need for my post have it be implemented Smiley Tongue

soothsayer

Touche, a time paradox but touche nontheless

marvel