Get Help
Community

Duplicating - Include Searches Words

Duplicating - Include Searches Words

Loads and loads of ideas are duplicated, many of which come from new members proposing the same question, some are posted even after a search.My idea is that whenever an idea is duplicated by a duplicator, they include the words that they searched the community with.

Why is this helpful?:

1) It will show others the kinds of words searched. 

2) It will help the OP to learn how to search (if they are new.)

3) It will show the sort of searches for different ideas.  

For the little effort it takes to implement, it will have a big impact on the ideas section, perhaps reducing the number of duplicates as members will learn to search differently. 

Oh and for the record I searched: Automatic duplication, detection, duplicators include searched words. etc. 

Thanks Smiley Happy

24 Comments
novice

ive had a couple of ideas duplicated and this would be helpful.

cim
phenomenon

I can see how this could be helpful. An education in 'lateral thinking' when coming up with search terms Smiley Wink

thanks cim+giffstaff Smiley Happy 

what do you mean? Smiley Tongue

cim
phenomenon

@ryanberry - are you asking what do I mean by education in 'lateral thinking' 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateral_thinking

Sometimes it may be necessary  to think creatively in order to guess the synonyms used by the original idea.

The education part is everyone seeing what non-obvious search terms the duplicator used which other searchers may not have thought of.

i was asking why you put lateral thinking Smiley Tongue i just read it again and i get it, thanks i knew what it was anyway Smiley Wink

I'm right...

Good Idea , would be very helpful . Smiley Happy

Cheers brulaw Smiley Happy
marvel

ryaneberry wrote:

Loads and loads of ideas are duplicated, many of which come from new members proposing the same question, some are posted even after a search.My idea is that whenever an idea is duplicated by a duplicator, they include the words that they searched the community with.

My idea is that the person thinking about posting an idea should do this in advance,  rather than carry on and then ask for more work to be done by someone else. 

Andy0 I also think this but how often do members not search? We all know the classic ideas that come around all the time, they obviously haven't searched for it, in an ideal world they will but you can't make them also it isn't anymore work done by the duplicator because they have to search for the idea so all the extra work is a bit more typing Smiley Wink
cim
phenomenon

@andy0 - is your comment perhaps conflating two different problems? i.e. "not bothering to search" vs. "learning how to search effectively"?

I bet somebody has posted ideas about trying to make people search first - which BTW I have seen done very effectively on other forums....

... a quick check and yes it has been suggested several times. (I used idea +  search for keywords BTW Smiley Wink)  

They all seem to duplicate back to this idea:

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Submit-Great-giffgaff-Ideas/quot-Check-to-see-if-question-has-alrea...

Anyway - surely the essence of rayaneberry's idea is educating people on how to search more effectively.

If this is a bad idea due to too much extra effort for the duplicators - how could it be done better? Perhaps automate capturing the search phrases used that located the original duplicated idea - so they don't have to be re-entered?