Get Help
Community

Monthly Summary to include log of numbers that accessed your voicemail

Monthly Summary to include log of numbers that accessed your voicemail

With all of the voicemail security concerns going round, it would be great if Giffgaff could include a summary with the monthly usage statement, to show which numbers were used to access/log in to your voicemail, how many voicemail messages were left etc.

It could automatically flag up/highlight unrecognised numbers accessing your voicemail, besides your own mobile calling through 443. In the future, it could maybe even allow users to authorise numbers that can access your voicemail.

7 Comments
enigma

I don't want that on my statement thanks. If anyone wanted to spend their time hacking into my voicemail then that's their own time they've wasted. No one cares whats on my voicemail.

gdp
associate

I think there's a big panic on voicemail here that is undue, and it's not just on GG, it's in society in general.

First of all, it is deplorable and those involved SHOULD be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

But it's your phone, and it's up to you to be secure. I believe GiffGaff lets you set a Voicemail PIN, which I RECOMMEND YOU DO RIGHT NOW. Once you have a PIN, nobody can call you and engage in conversation, then call you from a second phone to get into Voicemail.

Each network has a default voicemail PIN. These are publicised and well known. If you change it, you are fairly safe Smiley Happy

It's not really anything to panic about if you change your voicemail PIN.

If GiffGaff wanted to innovate, I'd suggest they have an ability to disable remote access to voicemail, and perhaps do so by default, or indeed to use a unique initial PIN on the SIM holder... Or to prevent access to voicemail remotely if the default PIN is in use...

I'd not get into a panic, just change your voicemail PIN to something that isn't a network default one, and isn't 1234 or 0000 (or anything else stupid) and you should be OK.

Perhaps some more security about where voicemail can be accessed from would be nice, but that's mroe complex.

marvel

gdp wrote:

Or to prevent access to voicemail remotely if the default PIN is in use...

I wonder if there's a danger of slightly too much paranoia setting in

This is already true.

On at least some networks that has been the case forever, or at least 10 years. I had to set up a voicemail PIN on the first mobile I had, which was Orange in 1999, for calling in remotely, including on the phone itself from abroad. Same with O2 4 or 5 years ago, and that also had a different mobile number for one's own voicemail, which only I knew.

gdp
associate

Right, if there is no default PIN, then I think that's fairly good... I am pretty sure I have (on another network, yet recently) entered my own voicemail from another phone, while my PIN was still the default network-provided one...

Since that was the method used by the journalists in this case, it would be protected.

And yes, there is WAY too much paranoia. I agree. I don't use Voicemail, but it sounds like GG is inherently safe by not having default PINs Smiley Happy

former giff-staffer
Status changed to: Not For Us
This Idea has unfortunately not received much support in over 3 months and has not reached the magic 10 kudos needed but if it does it will later be revisited. ^_^ Thanks so much for contributing to the Ideas board and I look forward to your next idea. Kind regards, Hazel
big cheese
Status changed to: Idea Vault

former giff-staffer
Status changed to: Idea Vault