There have been recent complaints about the lack of moderation overnight on the forum, and while I don’t agree that employing someone overnight just to remove details etc., I feel this idea would work, and would be a lot cheaper too.
When a post gets over 101 reports in a certain period of time, the reported post automatically gets moved within the hours of 11pm and 8am for review, this could be moved to a ‘quarantine’ board where the post is no longer public, but is flagged to the educators2 when this happens a notification is sent to the original poster that the post will be reviewed at 8am in the morning, and depending on the nature of the post, will either return, or be removed.
What will this solve?
- Abuse on the forum overnight (spam, racist content, or whatever users may post)
- Quick removal of posts with personal details for them to be edited in the morning
- Shows care, stopping members from moaning about not enough measures taken
- Gives users peace of mind – knowing their content has been removed and will be looked at.
- Saves educators such as Hazel22 (and the rest of the team) from getting up at 3am to remove it.
- Prevents serious spam attacks to the forum
- Arguments from who should be allowed to edit posts and move posts.
How will this work?
When several users report a post as inappropriate at the times of 11pm until 8am via the ‘report inappropriate content’ link (see above for image) the post is moved automatically and a notification is sent
Abuse – This could easily be abused, but from my understanding the system reports one report per user? So the abuse isn’t there, because only one report from one user will count, not ten reports from one user.
Sounds too complex?
Yes, but from my understanding the basic functionality is there, when you get a new rank, you get an email, Lithium (forum software) triggers this, it’s automated. So the same feature could be applied here. The report inappropriate content links are there, the hidden moderation panel is there where the posts can be submitted for review, it just requires lithium to embed the automation part where posts can be moved automatically.
Thank you for reading this idea, I hope together we can all make this community stronger!
1 – I have chosen ten reports as I find that there are often much more users on at this time, but this could be monitored, and be changed so it could be more or less.
2- I think this exists already, as in the reports process posts are moved to this area for no one else to see.
Pssstt... Want to improve giffgaff further?
Don't forget to tell giffgaff what ideas you like best: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/News-Announcement