Get Help
Community

Provide an Opt Out Button for Telemarketing

Provide an Opt Out Button for Telemarketing

Many users will not have taken the time to read Giffgaff's terms and Conditions. Being someone with no life I have plenty of time to do such a thing. One thing may Giffgaffers will not know is that they have signed up to telemarketing and such things. This is mentioned here:

"18.2. You also agree to the information described in clause 18.1 being used, analysed and assessed by us, and the other parties identified in clause 18.1 and selected third parties for marketing purposes including amongst other things to identify and offer you by phone, post, the Network, your mobile phone, email, text (SMS), media messaging, automated dialling equipment or other means, any further products, services and offers which we think might interest you. If you do not wish your details to be used for marketing purposes, please e-mail The Data Controller at, datacontroller@giffgaff.com stating your full name, address and mobile phone number. Your information is treated in accordance with our Privacy Policy." I have bolded what I consider to be the important sentence.

My idea is provide a large Opt Out Button on the member's Home Page which will permit users to opt out of this "Marketing". It could collate and forward all the information required by Giffgaff's Data Controller. Giffgaff should be more open about this sort of thing and one way of doing this is to add that button.

26 Comments
newcomer

Andy, perhaps you should read my response again....there is no specific complaint that a responsible phone company are providing numbers per se.......but it is not unknown for numbers to be obtained in this way.....this is a copy of information given :

Who is sending the messages?

We believe the messages are being sent by lead generation companies – companies that are trying to find people who will respond so they can sell those people’s details to claims or debt management firms. The companies behind these messages are looking to earn money by selling these leads.

think we shall have to agree to disagree!!

marvel

And who gave you those remarks?

It does not say that those parties were provided your details by the mobile network. 

If marketing companies had provided your personal details, including your very new phone number, having obtained the info from somewhere, you would have been addressed by name 

To come back to the thread subject, opting out of telemarketing, it would have no influence on the messages you received, as the people sending them aren't working by conventional methods and don't have any details

supporter

i completely agree, put a stop to all this now, i say . . . .

i know it takes up a lot of space, but then it takes up even more on my dashboard, at full size!Smiley Frustrated

former giff-staffer
Status changed to: Idea Vault
Great minds think alike! This is already being implemented - Thanks for contributing to the Ideas Board Smiley Happy I look forward to seeing your future ideas!
former giff-staffer
Status changed to: Working On It
My mistake Smiley Happy I will let you know when this is implemented! Smiley Happy
former giff-staffer
Status changed to: Under Consideration
Hi! We're still excited to do this idea, but it's not quite in the routemaster at the moment - when it is, we'll update this idea to 'Coming Soon', have a nice day and thank you for contributing to the Ideas Board!