Get Help
Community

Strike through option on text

Strike through option on text

Not the biggest of ideas but a needed one I feel. There used to be a strike through option on text which seems to have disappeared a while ago and subsequent lithium releases don't seem to have corrected this (so it doesn't seem to be a bug as such).

Problem

When you have made a mistake in a reply and want to correct it so as not to cause confusion, the only options now are to delete the reply or change it (which can be misinterpreted as trying to cover up a mistake).

Solution

The strike through option is a useful way to show the previous answer has been corrected and allow the correct information to be given.   It should be easy to get it back as it used to be an option.

Example:

You get 350 inclusive mins on the £10 goodybag

Edited to this:

Correction: that's 250 inclusive mins on the £10 goodybag.

PS.  I had to use HTML to get the strike through on this (all credit to stephenmiller on showing me how Smiley Happy)

• Find more ideas tagged with:
41 Comments
top cat
Good one Bertie, nice and simple change (well should be!) but can be used to really useful effect Smiley Happy. Happy to support Smiley Happy
guru

I don't like it much as it's too often used write something crossed out to insult people.

enigma

as far as i remember this function was lost when the site was updated on 1st December last year...

I also want it back cos the html approach is longwinded & challenges my memory somewhat.

marvel

bertiebat wrote:

Example:

Edited to this:

Correction: that's 250 inclusive mins on the £10 goodybag.

PS.  I had to use HTML to get the strike through on this (all credit to stephenmiller on showing me how Smiley Happy)

If it doesn't get put back, and using html is too much of a rigmarole, perhaps we can work around it by copying a piece of struck-through text and then editing it.

You get 350 inclusi   like this

like this 

I ate the FAQ

Lol Andy but it still loses the struck-through text when copied/pasted so it still requires HTML to change it to strike through.  Unless I'm missing something?

marvel

It didn't lose it when I copied it.

Here it is, still from the clipboard You get 350 inclusive mins on the £10 goodybag  

And it would help to make sure to already have some not struck through text after the insert point, like I'm doing here, so as not to have it happening for all subsequent text entered

top cat
Testing what Andy suggested . No that didn't work, will try again. Here it is, still from the clipboard You get 350 inclusive mins on the £10 goodybag. (doesn't seem to work on an IPad Smiley Sad. Will try on my laptop later)
oracle

I've missed it, & would welcome having it back.

counsellor

I seem to have it. How change strange

virtuoso
Test