Knowledge Base
Community

make calls to nepal free for some time..

make calls to nepal free for some time..

a suggestion by another giffgaffer here.. http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/Who-do-I-speak-with-to-make-phone-calls-to-Nepal-free-...

gave me the idea to suggest that giffgaff should make all calls to nepal made via giffgaff free.. for at least a week..

i spent money on giffgaff trying to contact nepal yesterday.. with no success.. just ended up getting charged without getting connected at all..

now, i know that few pounds isn't much.. 

but if giffgaff were to show some support to all the nepali expats living in uk who are giffgaff users like me.. would be so much help and a sign of great solidarity .. in this time of desperate need..

sincere thank you to all those who will support this..

p.s. there are several ways to lend a helping hand.. i'm sure people have heard of international red cross and other similar charities which are doing such a great work in nepal right now.. 

50 Comments
former giff-staffer

@prawlin, good news, we've extended the time that the reduced prices are available for. Rather than having an end date we'll just reassess periodically and see if the need remains. 

newcomer
Great idea. Would be great if this is put forth.
former giff-staffer
Status changed to: Implemented

Hi everyone, 

This is a really lovely idea and we'd like to do what we can to make it easier for members affected by this tragedy to contact their loved ones. As of 6pm yesterday, Tuesday 27th, we dropped the price of calls to Nepal to 2p/minute. We are also working to refund everyone who called Nepal since the earthquake as it doesn't feel right for us to be taking money for this. Calls to Nepal will remain at this price until midnight on the 5th. We'll keep it at this price for a while and will reassess periodically.

We're contacting everyone who has historically called Nepal to let them know. Our hearts go out to everyone affected and will never forget the terrible loss, while wishing the country a speedy recovery from this tragedy. 

All the best,

Will

counsellor
Great idea, supported by me
instructor

VERY cool,  GG... Heart

navigator
thank you giffgaff for extending the period of reduced rates beyond 5th may.. unfortunately more bad news.. another earthquake (7.4) reportedly hit nepal few hours ago.. terrible situation..
apprentice

They temporarily dropped the prices: a very nice gesture of good-will. Great thread Smiley Happy

aspirant

what a good Heart Giffgaff!

Finally the great gods of GG, found some goodness in their hearts and actually listened.

3 Cheers to the Gods of GG

Well Done !!!!

former giff-staffer
Status changed to: Implemented

Hi everyone, 

This is a really lovely idea and we'd like to do what we can to make it easier for members affected by this tragedy to contact their loved ones. As of 6pm yesterday, Tuesday 27th, we dropped the price of calls to Nepal to 2p/minute. We are also working to refund everyone who called Nepal since the earthquake as it doesn't feel right for us to be taking money for this. Calls to Nepal will remain at this price until midnight on the 5th. We'll keep it at this price for a while and will reassess periodically. 

After keeping the prices low for an extra three weeks we have now returned them back to normal levels. We've been keeping an eye on the number of members contacting nepal and the increase we saw after the earthquake from members trying to contact loved ones has subsided and returned to normal levels.  

All the best,

Will