Knowledge Base
Community

recommended plans for gigabag (data-only) users

recommended plans for gigabag (data-only) users

I have a nanoSIM in an iPad.

This is my first month, so I bought a £5 gigabag (500MB data)

• because I had no idea how much data I use, and when WiFi is available I use that. WiFi usually gives a much quicker download speed than 3G, GPRS etc. 
  • As we now have the option to buy a new bundle as soon as the current (active) one is depleted if wanted.
  • I am entitled to free giffgaff-giffgaff calls/texts but cannot use either as the iPad is data-only and doesn't make calls.

As I have just over a week to go before my gigabag expires, I decided to check my recommended plan.

Initially, I was on the goodybag page when I clicked on the link. There is a choice of options to estimate possible usage, where you indicate your typical type of usage:

• Social usage (facebook/twitter/etcetera)
  • emails
  • Apps
  • video
  • music

At an estimate of 175MB, it recommended the £7.50, £10 or £12 goodybags for me.

Starting from the link on the gigabag page brought me to the same page, and although I indicated slightly different usage, it still estimated my usage as 375MB but offered me the £10, £12 or £15 goodybags. ALL assumed I would need a call & text usage. NONE recommended the gigabags (£5 - 500MB; £7.50 - 1GB).

As I am a DATA-ONLY user, NONE of these goodybags are appropriate for me with an estimate of under 500MB usage in a month, but nowhere is there a suggestion of a data-only plan recommended.

• My idea is this - put a link to estimate usage for tablet or dongle or iPad plan. 
  • Then, recommend a gigabag appropriate for usage
  • IF usage is estimated as over 500MB, then include £7.50 -1GB gigabag; or £12 or £15 limited data goodybag

This would help new members better understand what is available for them; former users of the £12.50 gigabag would immediately see that the £12 goodybag (3GB) and £15 goodybag (5GB) were also available to use, and fewer members would get so frustrated by the change in gigabags that they think of leaving.

Jes

8 Comments
navigator
Good one
cim
phenomenon

I agree, some people prefer gigabags in phones becausse they are the most cost-effective data products for low/zero cross-network call/SMS users.

They could be stated as an alternative e.g. "or if no calls / SMS allowance is needed...".

vanguard

like the idea

mastermind

Supported, as a data only user you should have been recommended gigabags by the system as you say.

pathfinder

@jesi23 

Unlimited is NOT actually Unlimited! if yo use too much data then you get warned and then banned from buying any more unlimited goodybags!

So stick with your WiFi connection and only use a goodybag for browsing! remember if you watch a film you will need 2GB data thats £15 just to watch a film using a 3g/4g signal

phenomenon

@jamielvenables 

• I'm NOT using a phone, I'm using an iPad.
  • My usage is low.
  • I know about tethering and I know about Unlimited data not supporting tethering.
  • I DON'T watch films OR download videos OR music.

Please do not patronise me; I know what I want and need and I neither want nor need call allowances.

• I need a GIGABAG, not a GOODYBAG (and personally, either gigabag has sufficient for my need)

Really, all I am trying to support is the OPTION of being offered ONLY appropriate OPTIONS when you are a DATA-ONLY USER.

• I ONLY NEED DATA because I CANNOT MAKE CALLS and I CANNOT SEND TEXTS.
  • I do not EVEN need MUCH data because AS ANALYSED by the calculator I am a LOW USER.
  • I WANT TO BE OFFERED GIGABAGS not JUST goodybags which reflect MY data USAGE.

MY IDEA IS: PLEASE OFFER THE OPTION FOR ME TO SAY I ONLY USE DATA.

• THEN . . . . . . Offer me the most appropriate option for MY DATA USAGE . . .a GIGABAG
  • Is that too much to ask?
  • Please! Please!  Please!

Jes

vanguard

good idea

phenomenon

UPDATE: at least my emails now accept that my recommended '3G goodybag' is the £5 gigabag . . . all we need now is a corresponding '4G gigabag'

Jes